Brewer Fanatic

So what of the Link Reports in 2019?

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hi everyone.

Since mid-season 2001.

Minor League Link Reports.

That's a long time. Jim Powell talking us up during broadcasts of woeful big-league Brewers teams.

The fact is that our viewing numbers for the Link Reports have dropped precipitously in recent years. I can think of several reasons. Our site is not exactly mobile-friendly, at least not mobile phone-friendly. We can't embed Twitter images. Speaking of Twitter, that platform has allowed for minor league fans to easily follow along on a nightly basis. I know Twitter is a huge "go-to" platform for me.

Plus, years ago, MiLB.com was a wasteland. Not all the affiliates were under the MiLB site umbrella. Affiliates often wouldn't post game summaries. It just wasn't the well-oiled MLBAM machine it is now.

We're still going to post a Link Report daily.

The initial daily post will be up before all the action begins, and will continue to include links to all the radio broadcasts. In fact, the initial post will look a lot like it has in recent years:

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Brewer Fanatic Staff

The full-season affiliates are going to pump out game summaries all season. I'm just looking to ease the process and streamline here for all involved.

I've always appreciated the efforts of our Link Reporters, somebody normally latches on to one particular affiliate for as many as 130 or more of that team's 140 games.

In the example here from the initial post above, August 6th, 2018, Biloxi won, 2-1.

So a newly-condensed Link Report post would look like this:

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Clean and simple.

No need to copy and paste text or photos from the same game summary that fans are going to click on anyway.

Now, if there are tidbits that one of our "Link Reporters" wants to share (perhaps they were able to watch or listen, and something's not included in the game story, why of course, they'll have the freedom to add that).

But those comments should not be duplicate of what the box score or summary tells us.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Now, by early the next morning (basically during the overnight), we'll still link to subsequent video highlights via Minor League Baseball's YouTube page, as we've done in the past.

We'll have also linked to any available online audio, including the voluminous audio library that is and will continue to be the Rattler Radio podcast.

We'll still link to video from the local TV newscasts, something that in particular Biloxi's outlets provide a great deal.

We'll learn together what the San Antonio experience when it comes to the Link Report is all about.

When player quotes are available in local newspaper articles or player hometown newspaper features, you'll still see those.

By the time mid-morning rolls around, the Link Report will still be your one-stop shop for Brewers affiliate news, as it always has been.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

One place where I think we can really stand out from elsewhere is when the rookie level squads begin play.

Colorado Springs will provide fine coverage of the Rocky Mountain Vibes, but we know that there is nothing formal out of the Dominican or Maryvale. And between those two locations alone, there are now four box scores to review.

So once June rolls around, that will continue to be an area where we can be of particular interest. Between myself, Toby, and others, we should be good in that regard.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

So in most ways, little is changing.

The Link Report posts for the four full-season affiliates will be brief, I know as a minor league diehard, the fun is in poring over the box scores, and the links will be direct for you.

I'd love to get readers' insights as to how your reliance (or non-reliance) on the Link Report has evolved over the years.

Do we still serve a purpose? (I'm guessing if you're a regular, you'd say yes.)

Overall the process is still a bit demanding. It's a labor of love for those of us who contribute, and there is no financial benefit for us in getting higher click counts or such.

But if it's still appreciated, we'll push on.

Please feel free to chime in, or if not a registered member, you can tweet me @Mass_Haas.

Thanks to all.

Thank you Mass Haas and all who contribute to putting this together daily. Even in the finest seasons by the big club, it's vital daily reading to check in and see how the future is faring. I think the new clean and simple approach will be more than fine. The discussion of the standouts of the day has a way of taking the discussion where it needs to go.

Link reports are part of my morning routine for five months or so - and please accept our gratitude for all the excellent work in advance. I'm sure I'll thank you two or three times during the season as well. It's really a great feature appreciated by all.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Literally the first thing I look at each morning during baseball season. I wish I could contribute more in the way of help.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Same as many others, I check the link reports maybe not every day, but quite a lot during the regular season. Feel bad for simply not saying I appreciate the work that goes into this. I have a twitter, but I absolutely don't use it more than 3-4-5 times a month, so link report is my go to for Brewers minor league stuff.

Archived