Brewer Fanatic

Your 2019 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

We will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements soon. The formal announcement will come directly from the Sky Sox, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Opening Night is Thursday 4/4!

NOTE: Last season, the affiliates released their rosters on Tuesday AM, just two days prior)

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

Often we learn via farmhand tweets, who has been assigned where, prior to the formal affiliate announcements. We'll link to any of those posts in this thread as they come out.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2019" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

Please don't speculate here at this time, this is an anxious time for many on the farm, and unfortunately we're also likely going to learn about more player releases in the next few days, in addition to those players excited about their assignments.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.milb.com/wisconsin/news/wisconsin-timber-rattlers-announce-2019-roster/c-305836410

Tentative Roster here.

2019 TIMBER RATTLERS:

PITCHERS (13): Aaron Ashby, Sal Biasi, Justin Bullock, Logan Gillaspie, Adam Hill, Robbie Hitt, Max Lazar, Michael Mediavilla, Reese Olson, Wilfred Salaman, Peter Strzelecki, Scotty Sunitsch, Chad Whitmer

CATCHERS (3): Brent Diaz, David Fry, Kekai Rios

INFIELDERS (6): Yeison Coca, Gabriel García, Chad McClanahan, Connor McVey, Antonio Piñero, Brice Turang

OUTFIELDERS (4): Pablo Abreu, LG Castillo, Jesús Lujano, Je'Von Ward

While some arms I was hoping to see didn’t make team, nice to see some of these you kids make it. Lazar has an outstanding spring from the updates I was seeing from BrewersPD. He was listed aft every start pretty much & was raking up ks. Olson was intriguing pick and look forward to him. Bullock with Lazar is another prep arm who has passed up higher pick Lemons from that draft. Hill was traded for, Salaman had real good season last year. Clearly Ashby is staff Ace we all are dying to see. For Clancy I must mention his guy Sunitsch as well.

The bats. Fry is the older leader type who will handle young staff but has loud bat.Diaz fits that mold as well. Hoped Gray would shine enough in spring but Abreau, Ward, Castillo, and Lujano is nice young OF. McClanahan & Garcia are the two who need to make the year to jump for this team to really role. Both have great potential. Coco and Pinero are still decent prospects. Turang is the star though to follow.

Prediction

While Ashby stars, Lazar becomes a much bigger name & climbs prospect list.

Same goes for Turang being the star but Ward continues to grow as player & takes another nice jump.

Garcia adjusts & gets back to player I was so excited for. Hits for good average, power, and lives on base again.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff
AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "The 2019 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers met the media in the morning before taking the field for practice and a scrimmage in the afternoon on Tuesday. Chris Mehring and Kyle Lobner go over the roster, have audio clips from the media sessions, and talk about what is ahead this season. Hear from Matt Erickson, Jim Henderson, Brice Turang, Aaron Ashby, Gabriel García, and Scotty Sunitsch in the podcast."

I think that Roegner/Sunitsch/Ashby will be the lefties comparable to the Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes trio currently on the MLB roster.

Sunitsch I’m interested to see how he does. I’m not overly high on him. His results last year were not all that impressive. Low K, command was okay. FIP was 4.8 in Helena & still only 3.6 in small sample at Wisconsin.

17%K & 9% BB in Helena

15% K & 6% BB in Wisconsin

He’s a low slot lefty who pitches about 90 but has ability to hit spots & work up in zone limiting hard contact. Ashby I think fits in with Woodruff, Peralta, Burnes. He has good power & just flithy. Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta all had high K rates & dominated hitters. Sunitsch & Roegnar are command pitchers. Soft tossers, some deceptions, and smart. Think it’s more fair to say they are much closer to Suter & Davies. Not a bad thing. They are effective but not the dominate type arms the 3 in are rotation are. I think you always have to look at pitchers styles & skill sets when projecting them. Many ways to be effective pitcher & get outs in bigs. Roegner & Sunitsch will do it more in the crafty way Davies Suter do. Not the wow the hitters & fans with power and/or filth stuff.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I think that Roegner/Sunitsch/Ashby will be the lefties comparable to the Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes trio currently on the MLB roster.

Sunitsch I’m interested to see how he does. I’m not overly high on him. His results last year were not all that impressive. Low K, command was okay. FIP was 4.8 in Helena & still only 3.6 in small sample at Wisconsin.

17%K & 9% BB in Helena

15% K & 6% BB in Wisconsin

He’s a low slot lefty who pitches about 90 but has ability to hit spots & work up in zone limiting hard contact. Ashby I think fits in with Woodruff, Peralta, Burnes. He has good power & just flithy. Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta all had high K rates & dominated hitters. Sunitsch & Roegnar are command pitchers. Soft tossers, some deceptions, and smart. Think it’s more fair to say they are much closer to Suter & Davies. Not a bad thing. They are effective but not the dominate type arms the 3 in are rotation are. I think you always have to look at pitchers styles & skill sets when projecting them. Many ways to be effective pitcher & get outs in bigs. Roegner & Sunitsch will do it more in the crafty way Davies Suter do. Not the wow the hitters & fans with power and/or filth stuff.

I think that a good pitching staff/starting rotation needs both the "stuff" guys and the "guile" guys.

I'm interested in the numbers... and the numbers so far suggest that Ashby/Roegner/Sunitsch could be a trio of good pitchers like Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes.

I'm interested in the numbers... and the numbers so far suggest that Ashby/Roegner/Sunitsch could be a trio of good pitchers like Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes.

One number that Roegner (26), Sunitsch (23) & Ashby (21) have in common with Woodruff (26), Burnes (24) & Peralta (23) is age during the 2019 season.

Ashby has the best stuff & is the youngest, so he's clearly got the best shot of the three.

At Sunitsch's age Corbin & Freddy were already in MLB & Woodruff split the year between A+ (8 starts) & AA (20 starts), so all three were more advanced at the same age. Maybe he takes a big step forward this year, I wouldn't be upset, but he'd need at least two big steps forward to match even Woodruff's progression.

Roegner had a shiny ERA at age 25 in A+, but even his best comp of Suter split his age 25 season between AA/AAA so he was also a couple levels higher than Cam at the same age.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers prospect Max Lazar off to strong start with Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Jordan Jacobson, Appleton Post-Crescent

Quotes from Max, Manager Matt Erickson, and Pitching Coach Jim Henderson within...

And remember, it's La-Zar'.

Same cadence as Bi-zarre', although there's nothing bizarre about Max or this nice feature article.

Archived