Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

I also found the comments from players about this odd. Usually you get "no comments". While they'd lose a player (4th round signing), Brewers also save a bit of money on that draft choice, but also the related flexibility they would have in the signing pool. I wonder how much Kimbrel as the closer also impacts salaries of guys like Knebel, as he would likely get many less save opportunities, and it would reduce his Arbitration raise. Brewers also may gain some revenue from their jerseys sales, etc. off a big name player like that. Saw some reports about how much Phillies got from Harper. Its not in that class, but I'm sure lots of details go into the economic impact of every signing.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Expect the signing very soon. With knebel now “not throwing” better be imminent or the price going way up.

Knebel has some dead arm. It happens to pretty all pitchers at some point.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Last year K/9 numbers:

Jeffress: 10.4

Knebel: 14.3 (#5)

Kimbrel: 13.9 (#7)

Hader: 15.8 (#2)

That would be quite a bunch. Not to mention Taylor Williams is a 10+ K guy and if Peralta or Woodruff end up in the pen they are both likely 10+ K guys too.

Then there is Claudio sitting pretty at about 5.0 K/9.

A Spanish speaking Red Sox reporter just said a deal is close between the Brewers and Kimbrel. His twitter handle is @JuniorPepen. Am I obsessed? Probably but this is huge so I’m smashing F5. Idk the credibility of the report and it’s more than likely El Toro you know what, but man if it isn’t fun.

Expect the signing very soon. With knebel now “not throwing” better be imminent or the price going way up.

According to Robert Murray a team source termed the Knebel issue as a “tired arm”. Knebel downplayed it and Counsell refused to say anything about it.

So at this point which of these relief pitchers will first throw a regular season pitch for the Brewers in 2019, Jeffress, Knebel, or Kimbrel?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

According to Robert Murray a team source termed the Knebel issue as a “tired arm”. Knebel downplayed it and Counsell refused to say anything about it.

So at this point which of these relief pitchers will first throw a regular season pitch for the Brewers in 2019, Jeffress, Knebel, or Kimbrel?

If Kimbrel is signed, I don't see any way he doesn't stay behind for at least a couple weeks in extended spring training. Do they have enough good pen arms to weather the storm not having all three available for the first couple weeks of the season? We may very well find out. All I can say is Good Albers better show up in Milwaukee next week.

Disagree, doesn’t happen to all pitchers at some point. It’s in the Brewers best interest to downplay the possible injuries to jeffress AND Knebel.The Brewers NEED Kimbrel and his agent not stupid. Brewers in trouble here, even if they get Kimbrel. He won’t make up for not having TWO of our best high leverage pen arms. I’m more than concerned, I’m scared. Sign Kimbrel and I’ll just be concerned.

Disagree, doesn’t happen to all pitchers at some point. It’s in the Brewers best interest to downplay the possible injuries to jeffress AND Knebel.The Brewers NEED Kimbrel and his agent not stupid. Brewers in trouble here, even if they get Kimbrel. He won’t make up for not having TWO of our best high leverage pen arms. I’m more than concerned, I’m scared. Sign Kimbrel and I’ll just be concerned.

I would stress calm. This is nothing to get worked up over ... yet anyway. Lets wait to hear how Jeffress's pen session goes today. If Knebel is back throwing by the weekend, I think they'll probably be OK. I agree that it certainly isn't ideal, but the sky isn't falling either.

Dead arm doesn’t change the negotiation, Kimbrel needs to get ready

He’s not signed yet. His agent has the same news about jeffress and Knebel we do if not more, how could this NOT affect stearns bargaining position. Here’s my new guess IF we sign him: 4 years 76 mil with mutual option at 20 mil with 4 mil buy-out. Shattering the Aav Record for a relief pitcher. hope I’m wrong I prefer 3 years.

Dead arm doesn’t change the negotiation, Kimbrel needs to get ready

He’s not signed yet. His agent has the same news about jeffress and Knebel we do if not more, how could this NOT affect stearns bargaining position. Here’s my new guess IF we sign him: 4 years 76 mil with mutual option at 20 mil with 4 mil buy-out. Shattering the Aav Record for a relief pitcher. hope I’m wrong I prefer 3 years.

If David Stearns panics and goes way above his and the team's comfort level with Kimbrel because of a couple dead arms in his pen, he is not the GM we all think he is. I don't think he operates that way, though. If Kimbrel doesn't sign for the offer they are comfortable with, regardless of potential injury, you move on. The only, and I mean ONLY way that these injuries come into play is if they are potentially long-term, season-ending types, and there has been no indication that is the case.

I'd be shocked if Kimbrel hasn't picked up a baseball while he's been trying to get signed this spring. For a reliever, it wouldn't take many MLB spring training appearances to be ready to go on a MLB roster. If Jeffress opens the season on the DL, that spot could easily be filled by Kimbrel - even if it's another week before he'd sign a deal with the Brewers.

that all being said, I'd still be pretty surprised to see Kimbrel join the Brewers - I'd be pumped, but surprised. Signing him would not be a reactionary move to minor bullpen injuries - it would be a legit effort to solidify the 9th inning with a guy who can pitch multiple days in a row, thus freeing up Hader/Knebel/Jeffress and others to pitch in high-leverage points earlier in the game.

I would stress calm. This is nothing to get worked up over ... yet anyway. Lets wait to hear how Jeffress's pen session goes today. If Knebel is back throwing by the weekend, I think they'll probably be OK. I agree that it certainly isn't ideal, but the sky isn't falling either.

I think the season ending injuries to guys like Wahl and QTC eroded quite a bit of our perceived pen depth. Those injuries are probably a bigger factor than what is currently going on with Kimbrel...........whatever that is. We went through stretches without some of our pen arms last year.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I understand what you’re saying IF it’s only a couple of dead arms. But I just happen to think it’s more than that, I think one or more of Jeffress and Knebel are more seriously injured then we’re led to believe.the timing of “ serious negotiations “coincides nicely with Knebel. Maybe it’s just Stearns covering the bases, or maybe he sees a potential World Series slipping away and Kimbrel is the only pen arm available to him to help save our season.

Giving 4 years, 76 million dollars to a guy that would likely max out at 240 innings over 4 years would be one of the worst knee-jerk reactions ever pulled off by a small-market team.

If the Brewers are going to give that type of money to a player, then why not Keuchel? He could give the Brewers three times as many innings. Adds a left-handed pitcher to the rotation. Seems like a natural fit for Miller Park. 76 million what would likely be an inflexible, one-inning reliever...seems like a really poor investment to me.

I don't think that Stearns is immune to knee-jerk reactions (I mean, it can be argued that Schoop was a knee-jerk move), but I very much want to believe that he wouldn't think about having one a week before the opener. Right now at least, I think this is more a case of there being a guy who would provide extreme value who is still sitting on the open market, and adding him simply replaces the #8 reliever on the squad, kicking all the guys on the totem pole down a notch in the process. Perhaps that is a naive, overly-optimistic view, but until we get an indication that these guys are hurt worse than anyone it letting on, it's the one I'm going with.

Archived