Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Talks serious, per Heyman (I know, it's Heyman, but at least it's an update)

And a fantastic update at that. Thanks for the update sir. Heyman gets crushed a lot on this board and I don’t really understand why, when I hear him talk he’s always respectful and careful with his words, actually humble kind of guy. Him and Rosenthal I trust as much as any reporters. I’m betting on this happening, makes too much sense.

Heyman gets knocked at times as a shill for agents. I generally agree that his news typically has substance, though. He's definitely not the worst of the "insiders" out there.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well we can thank Attanasio if this happens. Because I would imagine it to be quite the rich 1-2 year deal...probably 2 years. Looking at the Moustakas and Grandal signings I am pretty confident they are making a big push if he is down to looking at a 2 year deal. Also helps we love using the pen and it would make it just that much better.

My guess is that TH has had no inside info when it comes to Kimbrel and was just speculating when he said the payroll is stretched. More reliable insiders around baseball are contradicting his report. This has the feel like it might actually happen and if that’s the case... *****’ a cotton, *****’ a!

Well we can thank Attanasio if this happens. Because I would imagine it to be quite the rich 1-2 year deal...probably 2 years. Looking at the Moustakas and Grandal signings I am pretty confident they are making a big push if he is down to looking at a 2 year deal. Also helps we love using the pen and it would make it just that much better.
I’d crown him as the best owner is baseball. Sacrificing profit for winning is extremely rare with owners these days.

Kimbrel really would be the icing on the cake of an already nice, and underrated, offseason (signed the best FA catcher, re-signed a 3B bat to play 2nd until the best 2B prospect in the game comes up, added bullpen depth with Claudio/Fields/Petricka). Our bullpen is strong enough that I don't even care if Kimbrel's only used in a non-optimized, strict, closer's role. Freeing up a lefty Hader and righty Knebel to play matchups in the biggest situations getting to the 9th is sick. Throw in Jeffress, Claudio, and a slew of other guys that could easily have big roles this year to fill in the rest is pretty ridiculous.

One year deal only. $20 million with a bunch of incentives.

If we get something done with him I would have to guess it would be somewhere in the 2/$30mil range. For us to be in on him his market had to of just fell through the floor. I don't see us spending $20mil a year or giving a deal 3+ years to improve something that is probably already the strength of the team. Maybe 3/$45mil, but jeez...I just don't us spending that kind of money on a bullpen arm.

My guess is that TH has had no inside info when it comes to Kimbrel

Haudricourt and other beat writers in Milwaukee are worthless. They are worth nothing when it comes to rumors. They are so far up the Brewers rear end you would think the team employs them. They won't do anything that may anger the Brewers front office. Never have never will.

MLB Network's Jon Heyman hears that the Brewers' talks with free agent closer Craig Kimbrel are "pretty serious."

Ken Rosenthal and Robert Murray of The Athletic first mentioned Tuesday that the two sides were talking. Milwaukee had one of the best bullpens in baseball last year and many of those same pitchers are back in 2019, but adding a guy like Kimbrel could only make the group that much more formidable, and it's possible he'll come at a significant discount here in late March. The 30-year-old right-hander earned 42 saves with the Red Sox in 2018 and boasts a 1.91 career ERA.

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Mar 20, 2019, 1:35 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think I like it better when these things come out of the blue. This is a total setup for a crushing signing elsewhere. Especially if it is in Chicago or St. Louis.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

One year deal only. $20 million with a bunch of incentives.

If we get something done with him I would have to guess it would be somewhere in the 2/$30mil range. For us to be in on him his market had to of just fell through the floor. I don't see us spending $20mil a year or giving a deal 3+ years to improve something that is probably already the strength of the team. Maybe 3/$45mil, but jeez...I just don't us spending that kind of money on a bullpen arm.

I think it really is a "move the needle" transaction though, no? Even if the pen is the strength of the team this still is a difference maker.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think I like it better when these things come out of the blue. This is a total setup for a crushing signing elsewhere. Especially if it is in Chicago or St. Louis.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, when was the last time any sort of legit Brewer free agent or trade news leaked before it actually happened. I mean there's been speculation on players that they eventually acquired, but nothing real concrete even down to zero hour. I still have the sneaking suspicion that this is an attempt by Kimbrel's agent to get the Cubs ownership to put down the PBR and unzip that fanny pack.

Archived