Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

Stearns: Is your client interested in a one year deal?

Meter: Look at the numbers, my client has been better than Chapman. Starting number for us is 100 million and we are really shooting for 85+ million.

Stearns: Call me back if you are interested in a one year deal in the 15 million dollar range.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Im not sure about that---Rosenthal is generally the one who has legit information and only posts it when its real. John Heyman, on the other hand...

Almost everything from Heyman is agent-induced. His Twitter is basically 99% smoke. Rosenthal is better, but still smoke there. I have no doubt that the info is "real", as in Kimbrel's agent "really" leaked it. I doubt it came from the Brewers, as there was nothing leaked on Grandal and Moustakas until they happened.

While this would be fantastic, I also am in the camp of skepticism. Feels so much like a move to get the dollar figure to slide up for another team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Im not sure about that---Rosenthal is generally the one who has legit information and only posts it when its real. John Heyman, on the other hand...

I don't doubt that it's real, that the Brewers have been talking to Kimbrel's agent. Just my semi-annual reminder Stearns is constantly looking to make a deal, and will talk to just about anyone who makes sense. But only a small minority actually happen. If he gets a deal he thinks makes sense, he will get it done. I doubt that will be the case here, but not impossible.

The cynic in me says that the Brewers are being used to get the Cubs to panic, but this would be a big-time get.

Why would that be a cynical take though? I think it's exactly what they should be doing. Look how it worked out with Darvish. I hope the Cubs haven't learned their lesson and I hope they do sign Kimbrel for something remotely close to his asking price. And I hope to god the Brewers don't, but I'd welcome him on a big one-year deal.

If Kimbrel is willing to accept a one year deal, almost every team, contenders and non-contenders alike. He delivers immediate value and for the teams out of the race at the break he has value as a big trade chip on July 31st.

The cynic in me says that the Brewers are being used to get the Cubs to panic, but this would be a big-time get.

Why would that be a cynical take though? I think it's exactly what they should be doing. Look how it worked out with Darvish. I hope the Cubs haven't learned their lesson and I hope they do sign Kimbrel for something remotely close to his asking price. And I hope to god the Brewers don't, but I'd welcome him on a big one-year deal.

No no no no I don’t want Theo to talk his owner into blasting way past the luxury tax threshold for the best reliever in baseball, for this year when we are going for the World Series. I’d rather their owner look at the tax threshold as a hard cap moving forward. I personally think we’re sleeping on the Cardinals they have the money, The perceived need, and the room for adding payroll.

If Kimbrel is willing to accept a one year deal, almost every team, contenders and non-contenders alike. He delivers immediate value and for the teams out of the race at the break he has value as a big trade chip on July 31st.

Exactly, it’s gonna take more than a one year deal in my opinion. I’ve been saying three years at 54 Plus a mutual option at 20 with a 6 mil buy-out. Effectively giving him $20 million per year for three years saving face with highest AAV for a relief pitcher ever. And he’d be worth every penny! Think big act big get big

Here’s what I think:

- Stearns wants Kimbrel, knows that this is as good a year to win a World Series as it could possibly be. Doesn’t know what he’s getting from jeffress. Was counting on Wahl to possibly be another high leverage pen arm. Knows how important an elite pen is to winning the series. Doesn’t want to hurt The development of his three young guns by NOT having them focus on starting.

- Mark A on the other hand is concerned in that he wants to make a certain profit, has to weigh a 140-150 mil payroll the expectations of us fans, reporters who-ever, moving forward. With our current mid-market revenue, not sure he wants to set a precedent or expectation of a certain payroll I’m sure he wants the freedom to set a payroll without getting criticized. I’m hoping he just says the heck with it and truly goes all in.

I don't think Mark A is the one holding anything up because of money. I'm pretty confident he'd sign off on a deal if Stearns told him it was a good one. This is just Stearns staying away from an excessively risky contract for a guy showing marked signs of decline. I do think they need bullpen help. I also thought they needed starting help last year, but that didn't mean I thought they should overpay Cobb, Darvish, or Arrieta, and it doesn't mean they should sign Kimbrel now.

May have missed it in this thread but isn't there a comp pick attached if we sign him? Aren't we already giving one up somewhere? Grandal perhaps? How does that work? THanks.

Saw if we sign him, we give up a 4th rd pick

May have missed it in this thread but isn't there a comp pick attached if we sign him? Aren't we already giving one up somewhere? Grandal perhaps? How does that work? THanks.

4th rounder. At the end of this article:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2019/03/19/brewers-have-reached-out-reliever-craig-kimbrel-but-no-deal-close/3220010002/

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They lost their 3rd rounder with the Grandal signing. Would lose their 4th rounder if they were to sign Kimbrel or Keuchel.

They lost their 3rd rounder with the Grandal signing. Would lose their 4th rounder if they were to sign Kimbrel or Keuchel.

Thanks

I don't think Mark A is the one holding anything up because of money. I'm pretty confident he'd sign off on a deal if Stearns told him it was a good one. This is just Stearns staying away from an excessively risky contract for a guy showing marked signs of decline. I do think they need bullpen help. I also thought they needed starting help last year, but that didn't mean I thought they should overpay Cobb, Darvish, or Arrieta, and it doesn't mean they should sign Kimbrel now.

We might not know the actual truth to the matter on this one. Logically your take, based upon stearns track record of risk adverse transactions and Mark’s willingness to invest some $ into certain players, would be the correct one. My gut tells me stearn’s might view Kimbrel as worth the $ value wise especially to a team like the Brewers, who use their pen uniquely in a lot of ways. And pull a Dayton Moore.

Talks serious, per Heyman (I know, it's Heyman, but at least it's an update)

And a fantastic update at that. Thanks for the update sir. Heyman gets crushed a lot on this board and I don’t really understand why, when I hear him talk he’s always respectful and careful with his words, actually humble kind of guy. Him and Rosenthal I trust as much as any reporters. I’m betting on this happening, makes too much sense.

Archived