Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
So I have not dug in on Kimbrell and or Kuechel for that matter, but I'm curious, what's holding these guys up? Are there reports of teams offering deals and these two shooting them down? Are they still looking unrealistic years? Kind of crazy these two haven't been signed, was my thought this morning. I'm pretty sure the Brewers would still give one of these guys a shot on a one year, but guessing they have no interest in that right now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So I have not dug in on Kimbrell and or Kuechel for that matter, but I'm curious, what's holding these guys up? Are there reports of teams offering deals and these two shooting them down? Are they still looking unrealistic years? Kind of crazy these two haven't been signed, was my thought this morning. I'm pretty sure the Brewers would still give one of these guys a shot on a one year, but guessing they have no interest in that right now.

Signing a 1-year deal this far into the season is likely a complete no-win for both of these guys. No team is going to give them a huge salary at this point, especially since we're looking at probably June before they would be available. Plus, if they were to sign a 1-year pact and not pitch well, it's going to hurt their chances of signing a long-term contract this coming offseason. Sure, they could both sign a deal and pitch well, but would that really increase interest and get a team to take the plunge? Both are coming off solid to above-average seasons and couldn't find the deals they wanted. The only way that is going to change after signing one-year deals is if both pitch like Cy Young candidates in their abbreviated seasons ... and I'd say the chances of that happening are slim. They would just be assuming too much risk at this point.

Signing a 1-year deal this far into the season is likely a complete no-win for both of these guys. No team is going to give them a huge salary at this point, especially since we're looking at probably June before they would be available. Plus, if they were to sign a 1-year pact and not pitch well, it's going to hurt their chances of signing a long-term contract this coming offseason. Sure, they could both sign a deal and pitch well, but would that really increase interest and get a team to take the plunge? Both are coming off solid to above-average seasons and couldn't find the deals they wanted. The only way that is going to change after signing one-year deals is if both pitch like Cy Young candidates in their abbreviated seasons ... and I'd say the chances of that happening are slim. They would just be assuming too much risk at this point.

They'd be wise to take a 2 year deal with an opt out after this year. That's the only way I could see them signing a short term deal at this point. Craig Kimbrel has expressed a desire to break the all time saves record...and realistically could. But a team that was one win away and in need of a closer(still in need of a closer for that matter as I hate seeing Hader in that role) would seem to be a pretty good fit. I mean, by the time he'd break the record, very few people would care about the record, but that's fine. As long as he does.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It appears that $ is more important to him than the save record. That is fine, but he isn't doing himself any favors in the stat department by foolishly holding out.

To be honest, I'd get a kick out of seeing Kimbrel and Keuchel sit out the entire year. All they have to do is sign on the dotted line to start playing, but that seems to be difficult for them.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It appears that $ is more important to him than the save record. That is fine, but he isn't doing himself any favors in the stat department by foolishly holding out.

To be honest, I'd get a kick out of seeing Kimbrel and Keuchel sit out the entire year. All they have to do is sign on the dotted line to start playing, but that seems to be difficult for them.

Why is that?

I don't really have a rooting interest one way or the other, but it has to be frustrating when your prime years are while you're under organizational control and your salary is up to the team the first three years, then arbitration, then when you're set to become a FA, the landscape has changed and while other lesser pitchers got paid more, you're not getting the deal you want after watching the Chapman's of the world getting mega deals. It makes sense obviously for the owners, but it's still gotta be frustrating. That and watching the piece of the pie the players get continue to shrink.

Either way, I don't or won't get any joy out of them failing to sign a reasonable deal this year. If they're not pitching for the Brewers, I really won't care one way or the other.

I can't wait until we find out what we actually offered Kimbrel though. I hope we don't find out it was low ball offer for ~ 9 million or something on a one year deal as it was rumored. I'd assume it was probably in the 12-14 million dollar range, otherwise, the conversations were even more pointless than they turned out to be. Milwaukee and Kimbrel really did seem like an ideal match though given the need and opportunity to step right in.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Why is that?

I don't really have a rooting interest one way or the other, but it has to be frustrating when your prime years are while you're under organizational control and your salary is up to the team the first three years, then arbitration, then when you're set to become a FA, the landscape has changed and while other lesser pitchers got paid more, you're not getting the deal you want after watching the Chapman's of the world getting mega deals. It makes sense obviously for the owners, but it's still gotta be frustrating. That and watching the piece of the pie the players get continue to shrink.

Either way, I don't or won't get any joy out of them failing to sign a reasonable deal this year. If they're not pitching for the Brewers, I really won't care one way or the other.

I can't wait until we find out what we actually offered Kimbrel though. I hope we don't find out it was low ball offer for ~ 9 million or something on a one year deal as it was rumored. I'd assume it was probably in the 12-14 million dollar range, otherwise, the conversations were even more pointless than they turned out to be. Milwaukee and Kimbrel really did seem like an ideal match though given the need and opportunity to step right in.

Ideal match yes.

But let’s wait until there’s no loss off a pick, sign him sometime on or about June 6, so he’d be ready to pitch July 1. To give up zero prospects for 2 1/2 yrs at 15 mil next two and less this year, for another Hader type arm, why not?

If the reports are close to accurate and kimbrel asking for 3 for 45 with no one giving him that, I’m thinking it will take close to that to sign him.

Can we do it/should we do it?

Yes/yes. 26 mil off the books with no moose/Grandal, then every team in baseball getting xtra 9 mil with new Fox deal and another 8-10 mil the following year with the new espn/turner deal, and then there’s the new local tv deal, so yeah that’s 45 mil, and that’s not incl no Braun’s after next year. So I’d say this contract fits our window PERFECTLY.

I believe we need to improve this team enough to beat the best team in baseball, the dodgers.

Kimbrel would give us, with what we already have, potentially the strongest bullpen in baseball history, not just this year but the next two as well.

Yes/yes. 26 mil off the books with no moose/Grandal, then every team in baseball getting xtra 9 mil with new Fox deal and another 8-10 mil the following year with the new espn/turner deal, and then there’s the new local tv deal, so yeah that’s 45 mil, and that’s not incl no Braun’s after next year. So I’d say this contract fits our window PERFECTLY.

I believe we need to improve this team enough to beat the best team in baseball, the dodgers.

Kimbrel would give us, with what we already have, potentially the strongest bullpen in baseball history, not just this year but the next two as well.

Figure on paying Braun $2M a year for 9 years after he is gone.

You have to replace Chacin and Grandal. Raises for everyone not named Cain or Braun. But probable savings on Chase Anderson and Thames ($1M buyout). But all of sudden we are just Shaw and Yelich with lefty stick in the lineup. Cain, Braun, Hiura, Aguilar, Arcia

To me there is no way we sign Kimbrel. If we don't do it when we have the draft choice advantage (4th vs 1st rounder), I don't see doing it when the rest of the league has equal shot.

Figure on paying Braun $2M a year for 9 years after he is gone.

You have to replace Chacin and Grandal. Raises for everyone not named Cain or Braun. But probable savings on Chase Anderson and Thames ($1M buyout). But all of sudden we are just Shaw and Yelich with lefty stick in the lineup. Cain, Braun, Hiura, Aguilar, Arcia

To me there is no way we sign Kimbrel. If we don't do it when we have the draft choice advantage (4th vs 1st rounder), I don't see doing it when the rest of the league has equal shot.

Logically you would think our advantage (4th vs 1st rounder) not being there after the draft would make it harder for us to sign kimbrel. But if he holds firm on the reported 3 at 45, I believe it severely limits the teams that would sign him because of the tax. If he’ll do a one year that’s different.

50 million is a good amount of room to fit a 15 mil salary for a arm as good as his.

• 3 weeks later...
Community Moderator
Cubs have interest in Kimbrel.

The Cubs with newfound financial flexibility per the article...

The Cubs financial story remains the same with one new wrinkle: an unfortunate family situation has left utility maven Ben Zobrist on the restricted list since May 8th. If his divorce continues to keep him out of action – which seems likelier than not at this point – the Cubs could recoup a good portion of his salary (in the neighborhood of $9MM), at least as far as the luxury tax is concerned. This new math could give the Cubs just enough room to make a viable run at Kimbrel.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

There’s something hilarious about a team from Illinois seeking to avoid economic activity for tax purposes,

Besides that, I don’t want to bid for Kimbrel, but I’d offer him $10 million for this year and $18 for next year to see it is agreeable.

I’ll handicap the Teams:

1.) Braves > 9-2

2.) Cubbies > 3-1

3.) Brewers > 4-1

4.) Twins > 4-1

5.) Red Sox 4-1

6.) the Field > 5-1

If it’s not the crew, I hope it’s an American League Team of course.

How are the Braves the favorite at 9-2, yet the 4 teams below them have better odds?

I’ll handicap the Teams:

1.) Braves > 5-2

2.) Cubbies > 3-1

3.) Brewers > 4-1

4.) Twins > 4-1

5.) Red Sox 4-1

6.) the Field > 5-1

If it’s not the crew, I hope it’s an American League Team of course.

Handicap pulled from thin air or what?

Geez.

According to LaVelle Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Twins have interest in both Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel.

Both elite-level hurlers remain unsigned into June, though after midnight on Sunday, they'll no longer require draft pick compensation which should speed things along exponentially. The Twins have surprisingly been the best team in baseball through the first few months of the season -- sitting at 40-18 and 11 1/2 games ahead of the Indians and White Sox in the American League Central. Adding either marquee arm -- or even both -- would only add to their title aspirations.

SOURCE: Minneapolis Star Tribune

Jun 2, 2019, 11:45 PM ET

Really hilarious that this Zobrist situation is the excuse they're using to claim they have money all of the sudden. They could've signed Kimbrel months ago easily.

The Cubs did not say this...this is a wild out of LF rumor with no substance to it.

Any real news in Kimbrel in the last 24 hours? I did a search on Keuchel, and there are reports that the Yankees and Braves are the two most likely candidates to land him and both have made offers. All I see on Kimbrel are lists speculating where he could fit best and that the Twins have interest.

Is this guy still insisting on a big, multi-year offer?

Rosenthal tweet

#Cubs pushing hard for Kimbrel, sources tell The Athletic.

I don't know what to feel about this. I think he's a great pitcher but will he be the same without Spring Training and a "normal" offseason.

Would I prefer the Brewers sign him? I don't really know that answer either. I see him being the true definition of absolute boom or incredible bust in 2019.

Archived