Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

Why does nobody ever mention signing these guys will cost a team a draft pick? Yes, the driving factor is their salary expectations but the added cost of a draft pick is a contributor as well. I don't believe teams want to hand out a rich deal AND lose a draft pick, especially since there are only 2 or 3 teams even seriously interested in signing them in the first place.

Maybe these guys lower their prices enough to get signed before the June draft, but once the draft comes and goes I don't expect them to remain unemployed very long at all.

On the flip side, maybe K & K think more teams will dip in once draft pick compensation goes away and that's what they're holding out for.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure someone has mentioned it but I'm worried about a possible consequence of the Cubs losing is they back up the Brinks truck and sign Kimbrel or Kuechel, throw caution and luxury tax to the wind. They gotta be feeling the pressure.

I'm sure someone has mentioned it but I'm worried about a possible consequence of the Cubs losing is they back up the Brinks truck and sign Kimbrel or Kuechel, throw caution and luxury tax to the wind. They gotta be feeling the pressure.

If they take the plunge on Kimbrel/Keuchel they really run the risk of losing other core pieces of their roster a couple years down the road. They'll have a decent amount of payroll coming off the books after this season, but a big chunk of that will be offset by arbitration raises to most all of their core - guys like Baez, Bryant, Contreras, Schwarber, etc. I think a big reason Happ didn't make the club out of spring training is because they realized that they need to stagger when some of these guys are going to start getting paid if they plan to keep most of them around longterm. I doubt they throw caution to the wind this year, because they need this year's payroll where it is to keep from escalating luxury tax payments in future years that they already know will need to happen in order to retain their core.

What's got to be incredibly alarming to them right now is despite the huge $ thrown at pitching that should by time for prospect development, their farm system continues to be largely empty in terms of young pitching that could give them much more payroll flexibility when guys like Lester, Chatwood, Yu, Hamels, etc finally come off the books. They have a few promising arms, but basically every system does - there's nobody just rocketing through the system that projects to be a MLB mainstay in the next couple seasons. If no options are in the system to replace the production when the veteran pitching contracts expire, they'll continue having to pay for it in free agency or continually ship away position player prospects for MLB arms. I think the Cubs really dropped the ball after both their 2016 WS and 2017 NLCS playoff runs by not trading a couple of their young players that are good, but not franchise cornerstones, at their peak value for pitching instead of throwing $ at veteran options. 1 of Schwarber or Happ should have been dealt after 2016, and they may have been able to get something significant for Addison Russell as well.

In reality, Kimbrel makes tons of sense for their roster right now - their bullpen is a trainwreck and is already full of injuries. I just don't see them being able to afford it within their self-imposed budget restrictions unless they are willing trade away substantial MLB talent for nothing of value in return to free up payroll.

No need to worry about things like this completely out of the franchise's control. Just enjoy watching the Ls keep piling up.

No need to worry about things like this completely out of the franchise's control. Just enjoy watching the Ls keep piling up.

Agree.

They need more than kimbrel to overtake the crew.

I think they’ve tuned out Maddon, and his antics to try and keep the team loose. Not sure he’s gonna make it thru the year.

They said all offseason that they had no money and their actions backed that up. At least the words, I don't think anyone believes they have no money. Maybe if they keep losing they'll sign one but until then, I don't think they'll even entertain it and if they're still losing are they really going to give a big contract out, have them spend a month getting in game shape without helping the big league roster and then hope they bring enough value to make the signing worth it?

They said all offseason that they had no money and their actions backed that up. At least the words, I don't think anyone believes they have no money. Maybe if they keep losing they'll sign one but until then, I don't think they'll even entertain it and if they're still losing are they really going to give a big contract out, have them spend a month getting in game shape without helping the big league roster and then hope they bring enough value to make the signing worth it?

They do have the 2nd highest payroll according to spotrac at 210. For some reason I thought they were being a little cheap in not adding to that pen, but they're only behind the Sox and I think THEY are more than Kimbrel away from solving their current problems.

Now the Braves on the other hand, how is that team with basically a 6 state market below the league average in payroll and 10 million below us? It's not like they're rebuilding.

I'd like to see the Brewers sign Kimbrel, but if they don't, I'm hardly going to be upset with Mark A's commitment to the team and winning. Pretty sure I'd feel differently if I was a Braves fan.

By the way, just wondering based on opinions, worse contract, Jason Heyward or Yu Darvish?

Heyward, a corner OF with an OPS+ of 80 since signing a 8/184 deal(that Cubs fans on twitter insist is a player that has value and teams should be trying to trade for).

Or Yu Darvish and his beautiful 6 year 126 million dollar deal that since he's signed before last year he's thrown a total of 57 IP with an ERA+ 83.

They COULD have Ian Happ playing in Heyward's spot and...well, since Darvish hasn't been healthy anyway, whoever is pitching in his place now and they'd have been able to sign Harper.

Tell me again how much of a genius Theo is?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Good. That's the kind of impulsive move that got them in this situation in the first place. It's not going to get them out of it; it's just going to prolong it.

I hate to say it, but I think you have to ride the young arms pretty hard early in the season to buy time. They'll hit innings limits early, but that gives you time to make other plans for the stretch run (Nelson, Jeffress, trades, maybe some AAA guys like Brown). I'd easily take that option over backing up the money truck for Kimbrel.

Good. That's the kind of impulsive move that got them in this situation in the first place. It's not going to get them out of it; it's just going to prolong it.

I hate to say it, but I think you have to ride the young arms pretty hard early in the season to buy time. They'll hit innings limits early, but that gives you time to make other plans for the stretch run (Nelson, Jeffress, trades, maybe some AAA guys like Brown). I'd easily take that option over backing up the money truck for Kimbrel.

Sure, but shutting them down, particularly if they're pitching well is going to be easier said than done. If they're in the same position they're in last year, it's gonna be interesting to see how they address it.

The results will probably end up doing that for you, ie, Peralta runs out of gas or whomever it may be. But if they're still going strong and the Brewers are back in the NLCS?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think he's hurt. I literally cannot come up with any other reason why he isn't on a team by now. He knows each day he misses, if healthy, is money out of his pocket. I don't see how he wouldn't have multiple lucrative offers to choose from. Every team can use another high-end reliever.

I think he's hurt. I literally cannot come up with any other reason why he isn't on a team by now. He knows each day he misses, if healthy, is money out of his pocket. I don't see how he wouldn't have multiple lucrative offers to choose from. Every team can use another high-end reliever.

I disagree. If he’s not going to get the contract he wants, then I think he is willing to pull a Roger Clemens and wait until the right offer and the right team become one. If the Brewers are in first place on May 1st and offer the opportunity to be at least a part-time closer, he should accept. If he’s not getting 5 yrs and $100m, then I do t blame him for not signing yet. He has an opportunity to watch the first start of the season, watch team performance, and evaluate opportunities. I think he signs around May 1

I’ve been on this train for awhile. Buying himself time.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

collusion

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I disagree. If he’s not going to get the contract he wants, then I think he is willing to pull a Roger Clemens and wait until the right offer and the right team become one.

I think teams remember how that worked out for the Yankees, and how all the super-late pitcher signings bombed last year. I think he's playing his cards wrong, but would also buy the theory that he's hurt.

If the Brewers were ever going to do it, they would have by now. Especially since the Brewers draft pick they would have to give up (4th round, Grandal 3rd round) would not be as high as the competition.

I assume it will take a few weeks of someone's pen falling apart or the June draft to change negotiations at this point.

If the Brewers were ever going to do it, they would have by now. Especially since the Brewers draft pick they would have to give up (4th round, Grandal 3rd round) would not be as high as the competition.

Not trying to call you out, I've heard this before from other posters too, but I'm just curious what's different about the Brewers that makes this true for them and not other teams?

Not trying to call you out, I've heard this before from other posters too, but I'm just curious what's different about the Brewers that makes this true for them and not other teams?

I know you didn't ask me but I think there is a viable explanation. Supposedly a lot of agents have anonymously said that Stearns is a great guy but that he's among the most strict in all of baseball in terms of having a price that he's willing to meet and sticking to it. So if Kimbrel is waiting for teams to improve their offer, that means the Brewers are probably out.

We can debate the merits of that approach all we want ("they need him more now, so they should increase their offer") but there are long-term negotiating benefits that go with earning that reputation.

I know you didn't ask me but I think there is a viable explanation. Supposedly a lot of agents have anonymously said that Stearns is a great guy but that he's among the most strict in all of baseball in terms of having a price that he's willing to meet and sticking to it. So if Kimbrel is waiting for teams to improve their offer, that means the Brewers are probably out.

We can debate the merits of that approach all we want ("they need him more now, so they should increase their offer") but there are long-term negotiating benefits that go with earning that reputation.

That makes sense, I can buy that. I like the "stubborn-ness" that Stearns has shown in sticking to his valuation of players and think it definitely benefits a team like Milwaukee in their market in the long run.

Losing Knebel, plus Hader getting worked a lot in 1-run games could test that patience, but I agree, I don't think we see a panic move on Stearns' side of the negotiations. Conversely, what offers Kimbrel's seen from each team, how anything the Brewers' have put out there compares, and how much more patience *he* has at this point, I have no idea.

Agree.

Stearns discipline with regards to price/value/affordability eliminates kimbrel from signing with the crew imho. Unless mark A steps in, which I don’t think he will.

And one last thing, IF kimbrel’s Healthy, just the fact that he won’t sign a pillow deal, tells me everything I need to know about his LACK of burning desire to pitch, and or lack of confidence in his ability to have a great year to get that contract that he feels he deserves.

I disagree. If he’s not going to get the contract he wants, then I think he is willing to pull a Roger Clemens and wait until the right offer and the right team become one.

I think teams remember how that worked out for the Yankees, and how all the super-late pitcher signings bombed last year. I think he's playing his cards wrong, but would also buy the theory that he's hurt.

The multiple times Clemens did it, it worked out well for Roger, The Astros, and the Yankees

Archived