Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

The question is can they get through innings 6-8 on days when Hader isn't available with 4 or 5 of the following who are fighting for spots: Claudio, Albers, Barnes, Houser, Williams, Guerra, Petricka. Almost all of those guys have some questions. Claudio seems to be the lone lock in the group. Will they stick Tomlin or another starter in the pen? Is this the good Albers or the guy we saw after the first month last year? Lots of uncertainty.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question is can they get through innings 6-8 on days when Hader isn't available with 4 or 5 of the following who are fighting for spots: Claudio, Albers, Barnes, Houser, Williams, Guerra, Petricka. Almost all of those guys have some questions. Claudio seems to be the lone lock in the group. Will they stick Tomlin or another starter in the pen? Is this the good Albers or the guy we saw after the first month last year? Lots of uncertainty.

Exactly, too much uncertainty. Seems like we went from a dominating, team defining bullpen to maybe slightly above average pen overnight.

Boras is not Kimbrel's agent unless there has been a recent switch. Kimbrel's agent is named Dave Meter.

If I understood correctly, he was suggesting that if Kimbrel gets a big deal, that's less money that one of Boras' clients could then get.....I don't know how a reporter saying he may be "in trouble," advances that case as it's not like GM's who may be interested in Kimbrel are sitting around and making their decicsions based on what a reporter is suggesting.

That said, I'm firmly on board with signing Kimbrel right now. I was a bit indifferent to it. I didn't realize that Jeffress was out to start the year and only throwing 83-84 before shutting it down while denying an injury.

I was incredibly skeptical he would be able to even approach last years success in the first place, but now with that chance almost completely gone, we NEED either someone to really step up and have a big year in the pen(Albers, it'd be nice if you could post a sub 2.0 ERA again) or, and this would be safer, sign a proven, future HOF reliever still in his prime, still throwing in the upper 90's if you can get him for 2/20.

Gotta say, if we don't have 10 million to spend, that makes me dislike the Moose signing even more. AS much as I like the guy, I just didn't see it as a need. The way this team is built, we NEED a dominant reliever in the pen, and while Knebel could be the closer, I would actually feel better with Kimbrel closing and Knebel being used like he was at the end of last year. To put out fires when they're burning hottest. In the bottom of the 6th, the 7th...whenever. Plus, giving Kimbrel the closing spot on a team that's improved it's roster after winning 96 games should put him 40+ saves closer on his quest to become the all time saves leader.

We cannot afford to get off to a slow start and be 7-8 games out before we make a move. Signing Kimbrel now may not help for opening day, but it'd give us a stud for about 2 weeks into the season. And if by some miracle, Jeffress and the "Un-injured shoulder" that coincidentally had him throwing about 13 MPH less than last year make it back to form, we don't just have a great pen, we have a Yankee like pen. Then we only need to ask Burnes, Woody, Nelson(hopefully) and company to give us 5-6 innings.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Exactly, too much uncertainty. Seems like we went from a dominating, team defining bullpen to maybe slightly above average pen overnight.

Barnes has the potential to be a Knebel type arm, but I've thought that for a few years when Barnes numbers looked very similar to Knebel's before Knebel broke out. Very little confidence there.

Taylor Williams, I feel good about him. They were pretty careful with him, but he should be a guy they can count on pretty regularly.

Albers has been an every other year guy, but that's hardly proof he'll be good this year. We're already down Wahl and Jeffress for at least a while and we lose whichever young guys move to the rotation. Houser is in the same camp as Williams sorta. But it's taking a lot on faith that either will be really good. More likely 3.00-ish ERA type guys.

Wahl and Jeffress were two guys I was counting on for 100 innings of high leverage pitching and that number may end up being zero now.

If we're really pushing our chips to the middle, see if Kimbrel will take a shorter deal. Maybe even go 1 year 14 with some money deferred(or make it like Grandal, a mutual option he'd obviously decline).

It's just extremely rare to have an arm as talented as his still sitting around on March 18th.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Barnes has the potential to be a Knebel type arm, but I've thought that for a few years when Barnes numbers looked very similar to Knebel's before Knebel broke out. Very little confidence there.

Taylor Williams, I feel good about him. They were pretty careful with him, but he should be a guy they can count on pretty regularly.

Albers has been an every other year guy, but that's hardly proof he'll be good this year. We're already down Wahl and Jeffress for at least a while and we lose whichever young guys move to the rotation. Houser is in the same camp as Williams sorta. But it's taking a lot on faith that either will be really good. More likely 3.00-ish ERA type guys.

Wahl and Jeffress were two guys I was counting on for 100 innings of high leverage pitching and that number may end up being zero now.

If we're really pushing our chips to the middle, see if Kimbrel will take a shorter deal. Maybe even go 1 year 14 with some money deferred(or make it like Grandal, a mutual option he'd obviously decline).

It's just extremely rare to have an arm as talented as his still sitting around on March 18th.

Your take on our pen is exactly how I view it. Only I believe it’s gonna take way more than a one year 14 mil to get Kimbrel. I’d go 3 yrs 50+.

He’s worth it and we have the $ IF Mark wants to invest it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Kimbrel seems like the kind of guy who would blow a gasket if anyone ever even dared ask him to pitch any inning other than the 9th. Even like just once every other week.

The guy is a likely Hall of Fame closer. Why would they ask? If he's signed, Knebel and Jeffress better up their "hold" games.

Kimbrel seems like the kind of guy who would blow a gasket if anyone ever even dared ask him to pitch any inning other than the 9th. Even like just once every other week.

I’m sure that is part of the close, we’ll get you opportunity for 60+ saves!

The guy is a likely Hall of Fame closer. Why would they ask? If he's signed, Knebel and Jeffress better up their "hold" games.

Because there are times when you need your best reliever for other situations.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Because there are times when you need your best reliever for other situations.

That's what great about this. It is arguable that Kimbrel would even be the team's best reliever.

Archived