Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the whole Get Kimbrel thing, but he wants crazy money. Let's all remember that. If it's one year for 15 million, we'll, you might get most to agree on this. The Yanks and Dodgers would do that too. However, it's probably more like 20 for 3 or 4 years for a guy on the downside of his career. It will be an overspend, obviously, to get him. It isn't something a small market can do, usually.

Count us as fortunate to get quality Grandal and Moose on pricey, yet short contracts. It's something that small markets usually can't swing, much less afford. I think a trade for a quality reliever or two from other teams would be better.

I get the whole Get Kimbrel thing, but he wants crazy money. Let's all remember that. If it's one year for 15 million, we'll, you might get most to agree on this. The Yanks and Dodgers would do that too. However, it's probably more like 20 for 3 or 4 years for a guy on the downside of his career. It will be an overspend, obviously, to get him. It isn't something a small market can do, usually.

Count us as fortunate to get quality Grandal and Moose on pricey, yet short contracts. It's something that small markets usually can't swing, much less afford. I think a trade for a quality reliever or two from other teams would be better.

Good idea on the trade thought, but

WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY A SMALL MARKET ANYMORE!!!!

WE ARE ARE NOW MID-MARKET!!!

But yeah 20 mil for 3 or 4 years crew not gonna do.

But 20 million pillow with mutual 20/2 mil buyout > YES!!

Unlike the other spots you named (LA/ NY), Kimbrel could step in as closer in Milwaukee. Those other spots have established (& pricey) closers in place already. Kimbrel might take a 1 yr pillow deal in that case as he would not need to deal with a QO after the season if he re-enters the market.

Serious question: Do the Brewers want to pay a big $ number AND give up even more draft capital (pick and bonus slot money). The impact of more lost draft capital won't be truly felt for a couple more years. A limited farm system not only impacts talent for the Brewers to field but also trade capital to acquire any needed pieces to remain competitive/ in contention.

I'm not against or for the signing of Kimbrel. Just trying to examine & evaluate the entire landscape of the issue.

Unlike the other spots you named (LA/ NY), Kimbrel could step in as closer in Milwaukee. Those other spots have established (& pricey) closers in place already. Kimbrel might take a 1 yr pillow deal in that case as he would not need to deal with a QO after the season if he re-enters the market.

Serious question: Do the Brewers want to pay a big $ number AND give up even more draft capital (pick and bonus slot money). The impact of more lost draft capital won't be truly felt for a couple more years. A limited farm system not only impacts talent for the Brewers to field but also trade capital to acquire any needed pieces to remain competitive/ in contention.

I'm not against or for the signing of Kimbrel. Just trying to examine & evaluate the entire landscape of the issue.

Thanks for the input, madthinker88, nice to have a very informed, non biased viewpoint from I think big time Indians fan.

Bottom line is that if they don't sign Kimbrel and Knebel is out for the year, they have a huge hole in what was an area of strength last year. Given that I'm left to wonder if they'll stay committed to keeping both Woodruff and Burnes in the rotation. I don't have faith in Albers, Williams, Barnes etc as reliable late inning relievers. Remember it's not just Knebel and Jeffress who are gone. Soria got a lot of huge outs last year too. Having moments or some stretches of quality is fine but rolling the dice on these guys in a division as competitive as this one might cost them dearly.

Just remember people had these same concerns and fears heading into 2018 without Jimmy Nelson in the rotation, and we missed the WS by one game.

Let's see what happens with Jeffress, Knebel, Nelson, etc. Guys like Guerra and Anderson could play pivotal pen roles. Guys like Williams and Barnes could finally take the next step to late inning roles. Someone like Houser or Diplan might come in and surprise us. Someone like Zach Brown might come in and be Corbin Burnes of 2018. And likely, we will add a rental arm at the deadline like we've done the last 2 seasons.

I have a pretty good amount of faith in this FO, they've earned it. They have a plan, they're not flying by the seat of their pants. That plan is subject to change based on their ongoing evaluations, but this season is a marathon, not a sprint.

There has never been close to the same level of quality pitching depth in the brewers' organization as there is right now - not even close.

DS has turned this club into a pitching revelation - throwing $15m per year for a few years of a great but aging closer who has been ridden pretty hard is the antithesis of how we got to this point, regardless of the current ailments to jeffress and knebel. I was on the fence about signing him, but unless it's for way under what I think he will wind up getting, I say hard pass!

There has never been close to the same level of quality pitching depth in the brewers' organization as there is right now - not even close.

DS has turned this club into a pitching revelation - throwing $15m per year for a few years of a great but aging closer who has been ridden pretty hard is the antithesis of how we got to this point, regardless of the current ailments to jeffress and knebel. I was on the fence about signing him, but unless it's for way under what I think he will wind up getting, I say hard pass!

What if you could get a 30 years old Kimbrel for 1 year THIS year at 18 mil?

I'm guessing we'd do it.

You still haven't offered anything other than personal speculation that this is an option for us.

I'm guessing we'd do it.

You still haven't offered anything other than personal speculation that this is an option for us.

Heyman a couple weeks ago said Kimbrel in trouble. Every large market team is up against the tax and won’t spend. Cubs Red Sox dodgers > no. Cards no. Nats maybe prob not. Phill’s maybe prob not. Just heard yesterday on mlb radio braves HAVEN’T even made Kimbrel a formal offer.

No team has a need like ours that isn’t up against tax. Except the corporately run braves. And it seems there too greedy to spend any more $

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
10 days ago this seemed like it was a done-deal, foregone conclusion. There were rumors that Kimbrel was in Arizona to get his elbow checked out. Then nothing. I think one of the sides likely backed out of a roughly agreed-on deal. I imagine that either the Brewers found something in their medical eval, or Kimbrel changed his mind about accepting whatever the team was offering. I don't know if the Knebel situation played a role at all. But judging from Robert Murray's story that came out yesterday, it seems the ship has sailed.

10 days ago this seemed like it was a done-deal, foregone conclusion. There were rumors that Kimbrel was in Arizona to get his elbow checked out. Then nothing. I think one of the sides likely backed out of a roughly agreed-on deal. I imagine that either the Brewers found something in their medical eval, or Kimbrel changed his mind about accepting whatever the team was offering. I don't know if the Knebel situation played a role at all. But judging from Robert Murray's story that came out yesterday, it seems the ship has sailed.

Yes it seems that way, maybe it is medicals, but IF he signs pillow deal With whoever it’s gonna suck.

But even if he’s signs tomorrow he won’t pitch for crew til end of April. We need to trade with giants.

Sorry, I mean no offense, but this is exactly the kind of panic mentality that good GMs just don't have.

Not only is getting Kimbrel not enough, but we NEED to trade for a reliever from the Giants even if Kimbrel signs because he won't pitch right away? It's April. Actually, it's not even April. We are 1 game into the season. Teams don't operate this way. It's so early, you're still evaluating what you have, who might develop and take the next step, etc. We don't even know how long JJ and Nelson are still out for. We don't even know if Knebel is done.

I don't even care if they do trade with the Giants, but you don't NEED to do anything at all when you're 1 game into the season. We don't even know what we have yet.

But even if he’s signs tomorrow he won’t pitch for crew til end of April. We need to trade with giants.

Sorry, I mean no offense, but this is exactly the kind of panic mentality that good GMs just don't have.

Not only is getting Kimbrel not enough, but we NEED to trade for a reliever from the Giants even if Kimbrel signs because he won't pitch right away? It's April. Actually, it's not even April. We are 1 game into the season. Teams don't operate this way. It's so early, you're still evaluating what you have, who might develop and take the next step, etc. We don't even know how long JJ and Nelson are still out for. We don't even know if Knebel is done.

I don't even care if they do trade with the Giants, but you don't NEED to do anything at all when you're 1 game into the season. We don't even know what we have yet.

Unlike our everyday lineup, I know that we have very little proven talent in the pen or rotation. Letting it ride is one option, maybe the only reasonable option we have right now.

Opening day and Kimbrel is sitting at home...

Ridiculous that he'd rather start the season late then sign on with a contender.

I am starting to dislike him.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

No offense taken. I think if we’re all being brutally honest here, the thought of a non Hader trying to close out a 1 run brewer lead is more than concerning, its scary frightening. Now maybe stearns wants to see who steps up but I doubt it. Hoping he’s working on something to remidy this before some blown leads late. I mean, I dreaded the thought of anyone other than Hader Guerra but now we know how he wants to use Guerra and it’s not to close.

They have a plan. These guys have proven to be much smarter baseball people than any of us, so I'm inclined to trust them.

Ok, much smarter than us a given.

But how much a plan can you have when your two closers down just in the last 3 weeks. One last week. Am Curious to see how Counsell handles this pen.

They have a plan. These guys have proven to be much smarter baseball people than any of us, so I'm inclined to trust them.

But how much a plan can you have when your two closers down just in the last 3 weeks. One last week. Am Curious to see how Counsell handles this pen.

I sure am glad they’re not panicking like you seem to be. We heard the same shenanigans last year with our starting pitching all off season. Could Kimbrel help? Sure could. Could help a lot of teams. But to act like you have the slightest clue about teams willingness to sign him is just odd.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nope, wouldn't do that deal. Especially considering you're not getting kimbrel for that full season that's already started.

If it takes more than 12M for a 1 yr deal, best of luck to kimbrel this season elsewhere.

Albers and Barmes both closed games last year. Claudio was a closer for part of the 2017 season. Alex Wilson has a bit of experience closing. If Hader was a closer, he'd probably be the best in baseball. They have options. Obviously, Knebel is a very tough loss for however long he's out. It will likely be a committee situation and Hader will probably have plenty of 2 inning saves coming his way.

If the Brewers like the way the rotation is looking, I think it's plausible that they could ease Nelson back in a pen role this year, and if so, he might end up being a high leverage option.

Archived