Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

I don't think Kimbrel would have been in Arizona getting his elbow examined if terms weren't essentially agreed upon or very far along. If he was closer to a deal with the Braves, wouldn't he be in Florida? Every day that passes without Kimbrel becoming a Brewer makes me think they're not sold on the health of his arm. Just my opinion.

This could be why it’s so quiet on the Kimbrel front. IF this report is true. I really don’t know what to believe, I don’t think anyone outside of Stearns and Kimbrel’s team do either. If healthy, hoping for a pillow deal, although the longer this inaction goes on the less faith I think Kimbrel has in his own ability to have a great year.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s not at all what I’m saying. He would definitely spend a couple million more for a piece. There’s a big difference between a couple million and adding an impact pitcher where you need to pay him $12 million for the rest of the season. It makes more sense to start at $130 and add 3 or 4 pieces mid season to fill the holes that arise during the season whether it’s from injuries or lack of production, than to start the season at $150 million and have a lot of areas that need to be addressed, but not much money left where it makes it more difficult to take on a big name guy on a large contract plus addressing the other areas of need.

At some point, there is a financial limit though. Whether it’s $150 million or $170 million, the money runs out at some point and you can’t spend more because you just don’t have it.

Well, with Attansio, that'd be a lot higher than 170!

I see your point though, obviously he's not going to lose 100 million this year, so there is some limit. But what you're talking about potentially happening....it's already happened to this team and to add the type of talent that we could now, you're talking about giving up significant assets AND money whereas now we can just give up the money.

Look at what the Cubs gave up for half a season of Chapman? Torres alone is crazy.

I just think the scenario that you're saving this money for has already come to fruition as the most reliable part of our BP has been rocked with injuries to Knebel and Jeffress and I'd rather address it now than wait to see if we can get them healthy...or if we have other issues arise that would require that money.

There are 4 good teams in the NLC and the Pirates aren't terrible. We have a tough first half and we can't afford to fall too far out while we're trying out unproven relievers.

Of course I think if Kimbrel was willing to take a big salary over 1 year, something around the QO, he'd have already signed.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Based on the speculation out there on social media, I’m guessing the conversations have gone something to the effect of:

Stearns: Hey, since no one is offering you a multi-year deal, we’d be willing to give you this high AAV deal for 1-2 years

Kimbrel’s agent: Yeah...we’re not getting those multi-year offers, so let’s talk details and I think we can work something out

(Jeffress and Knebel go down)

Kimbrel’s Agent: Wait, scratch that, you need Craig badly, we want more years and/or money to finish this deal.

Stearns. Ok. Then nevermind.

Possible, but I think it's more likely this:

Stearns: Hey, since no one is offering you a multi-year deal, we’d be willing to give you this high AAV deal for 1-2 years

Kimbrel’s agent: He's the best, most proven closer in MLB and there's no way we're not asking for and getting at least a 4 year deal.

I think it ends there, and that's where we are. Kimbrel's camp will continue to find other teams that will offer a long-term deal, and keep pushing the Brewers, Braves, etc. for this as well. Eventually, if no one blinks, they'll come back looking for mas money on a one year deal.

Could be wrong, but that's what I think is going on. Knebel/Jeffress situation doesn't help, but that doesn't change their demand for multiple years, and the Brewers/Braves unwilling to offer that. Because that doesn't change before, during, after the Knebel/Jeffress news.

I'm fine with the Brewers going even deeper to sign Kimbrel...and if they have to because of the injuries a 2 year deal, as bad an idea as that may be under normal circumstances, you at least have an elite reliever for 2 years, and if you DO get Knebel and JJ back, you've got a Yankee like pen.

But 4 years is stupid, 4 years could impact a Yelich extension, or really just any future investments. I would do 2 years absolute max and...I can't even believe I'm saying this, but 2 years and 40 million if that's what it takes.

Given what Stearns has done and the young talent we have, I don't really see a defined window. This isn't like the Packers where you have Rodgers and the window is while he's here. Don't sacrifice that much for a closer. One who for the record was as bad as JJ last year in the Championship series if memory serves(he may not have given up the runs, but he was ugly) and who wasn't the same last year.

That’s not at all what I’m saying. He would definitely spend a couple million more for a piece. There’s a big difference between a couple million and adding an impact pitcher where you need to pay him $12 million for the rest of the season. It makes more sense to start at $130 and add 3 or 4 pieces mid season to fill the holes that arise during the season whether it’s from injuries or lack of production, than to start the season at $150 million and have a lot of areas that need to be addressed, but not much money left where it makes it more difficult to take on a big name guy on a large contract plus addressing the other areas of need.

At some point, there is a financial limit though. Whether it’s $150 million or $170 million, the money runs out at some point and you can’t spend more because you just don’t have it.

Well, with Attansio, that'd be a lot higher than 170!

I see your point though, obviously he's not going to lose 100 million this year, so there is some limit. But what you're talking about potentially happening....it's already happened to this team and to add the type of talent that we could now, you're talking about giving up significant assets AND money whereas now we can just give up the money.

Look at what the Cubs gave up for half a season of Chapman? Torres alone is crazy.

I just think the scenario that you're saving this money for has already come to fruition as the most reliable part of our BP has been rocked with injuries to Knebel and Jeffress and I'd rather address it now than wait to see if we can get them healthy...or if we have other issues arise that would require that money.

There are 4 good teams in the NLC and the Pirates aren't terrible. We have a tough first half and we can't afford to fall too far out while we're trying out unproven relievers.

Of course I think if Kimbrel was willing to take a big salary over 1 year, something around the QO, he'd have already signed.

Funny comment with Attanasio, obviously I agree since you keep me from being a lone voice on ridiculous small market, already at record breaking payroll move on from Kimbrel talk.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"GM David Stearns said there is "a possibility" of an outside acquisition to the 25-man roster."

I will go on believing its Kimbrel until he is signed elsewhere!

Ever since Stearns became GM, he's poured over DFA's and low-level free agents at this time of year, and pretty consistently has turned over the 24th-25th man right before the start of the season. If they see a guy out there and theoretically is better than Thames or Barnes/Williams, they could very well make a move. I don't think that is any indication that Kimbrel is on his way, though. In fact, I would HIGHLY doubt that Kimbrel would immediately be added to the 25-man roster even if he's signed. He may be keeping himself is some sort of shape, but he still missed all of Spring Training.

I don't mean to pee in anyone's Cheerios, but we gotta look at this logically.

Didn't Corey Knebel get referred for a second opinion 5 days ago? And still nothing?

A bit interesting to some extent. I suppose there is no rush because he will be out awhile regardless, but I am guessing there is a reason they are delaying scheduling that or announcing it. You would think they would want to know ASAP if Knebel will be out all year or not with Kimbrel and other possible players to get out there.

"GM David Stearns said there is "a possibility" of an outside acquisition to the 25-man roster."

Ever since Stearns became GM, he's poured over DFA's and low-level free agents at this time of year, and pretty consistently has turned over the 24th-25th man right before the start of the season. If they see a guy out there and theoretically is better than Thames or Barnes/Williams, they could very well make a move. I don't think that is any indication that Kimbrel is on his way, though. In fact, I would HIGHLY doubt that Kimbrel would immediately be added to the 25-man roster even if he's signed. He may be keeping himself is some sort of shape, but he still missed all of Spring Training.

Fine, then trade Thames and Anderson for a solid bullpen piece, call up Spagenberg, AND THEN USE THE SALARY RELIEF TO SIGN KIMBREL!

Logically speaking, I don’t think we know the answer to this I mean you could be right with the waiver wire etc. but The timing also makes sense with Kimbrel not wanting to sit any longer And start playing baseball again.

Logically speaking, I don’t think we know the answer to this I mean you could be right with the waiver wire etc. but The timing also makes sense with Kimbrel not wanting to sit any longer And start playing baseball again.

Still, I think I can say with 100% certainty that Kimbrel would not be immediately added to the 25-man roster if signed, as you can't just show up and immediately pitch high-leverage big league innings without any sort of spring training. That leads me to believe that Stearns is not referring to Kimbrel.

Stearns should’ve kept his mouth shut on this one, if what you say is correct. This team needs a closer that can be counted on, and I’m pretty confident in saying we’re not gonna get that with the waiver wire pick up, why take a chance on this being our Achilles’ heel?

Stearns should’ve kept his mouth shut on this one, if what you say is correct. This team needs a closer that can be counted on, and I’m pretty confident in saying we’re not gonna get that with the waiver wire pick up, why take a chance on this being our Achilles’ heel?

Should have kept his mouth shut? I think there is WAY too much being read into what is probably a throw-away quote. With Stearns there is always the possibility of an outside acquisition to the 25-man roster.

Still, I think I can say with 100% certainty that Kimbrel would not be immediately added to the 25-man roster if signed, as you can't just show up and immediately pitch high-leverage big league innings without any sort of spring training. That leads me to believe that Stearns is not referring to Kimbrel.

You CAN....you'll probably just have results similar to Greg Holland had with the Cards last year.

I do think that was a little bit of a teaser that they're still waiting on Kimbrel or haven't moved on yet since DS has to know that's the guy he's really being asked about or people really want to know about.

That said, there are teams with really good relievers who are young and talented we could look at.

The Giants have been mentioned...there are likely other teams that have talented young arms who won't compete this year and would rather trade for them now if they can get a big talent into their system.

I like the Corey Ray for a young, really high upside reliever and a really good veteran type like the Giants trade proposal.

Wow...that's incredibly harsh. He could be saying the door is still open on Kimbrel. He could be saying he's he's looking at other avenues to trade for pitchers as I suggested.

I would doubt he's talking about waiver wire pick up in THIS context when everyone in Milwaukee is talking about Knebel and JJ.

But even if he was, why should he keep his mouth shut? Even if it IS a normal throw away line from every other year, that's a really harsh reaction.

That's a bit over the top on Stearns. He's always done a good job at being proactive and addressing issues as much as he could. That's not always possible, but he's trying. Just the fact that there were reports that Kimbrel is deciding between us and the Braves shows this is a unique situation.

We shouldn't be anywhere NEAR a Craig Kimbrel discussion. We should at best be in a David Robertson, Adam Ottavino discussion. But yet we are because he's trying to keep this team atop the NLC and push it 5 more wins further.

That said, there are teams with really good relievers who are young and talented we could look at.

The Giants have been mentioned...there are likely other teams that have talented young arms who won't compete this year and would rather trade for them now if they can get a big talent into their system.

I like the Corey Ray for a young, really high upside reliever and a really good veteran type like the Giants trade proposal.

I think this is probably way more spot on than any of this Kimbrel talk. Will Smith makes a ton of sense.

Wow. You guys have really taken a big leap from a throw-away statement by a GM. Of course they could bring in someone from outside now that all the final roster cuts are being made. They could still sign Kimbrel before or after the season starts, but he wouldn't be on the 25 immediately anyhow.

Stearns has the right to make an incredibly vague statement that could mean almost anything...

needs a closer that can be counted on - No they don't. They need quality pitchers that can get outs no matter what the situation. I really thought baseball was going to evolve beyond the "set closer in the 9th" mentality. Dishing out crazy sums of money for guys deemed to be a "closer" has probably led to more bad contracts in baseball than any other position.

Archived