Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

As far as the money goes here is where I differ from just about everybody on this board > outbid the CHEAPLY run corporate profit focused Atlanta braves and sign Kimbrel. And I’ll say this for the 15th time > WE HAVE THE $$$$.

If there is anything we have learned since Stearns has been in charge is he rarely will pay more (in terms of salary, players, etc) than he believes a player is worth. All of his moves have been about getting value for assets expended, and while he is willing to pay a premium price for production now that the Brewers are competitive he doesn't appear to be willing to overpay.

I think Stearns would like to add Kimbrel. I think the Brewers are in a good position to add expensive pieces like Kimbrel because competing for a championship is realistic. I don't think, however, Stearns is going to pay Kimbrel more than he thinks he's worth, regardless of factors such as cash on hand, current roster makeup, etc.

If Kimbrel's price remains significantly outside of what Stearns thinks he's worth, I doubt we'll see Kimbrel sign with the Brewers. The only possible scenario I could see where Stearns overpays for Kimbrel would be on a one-year deal, and even then I doubt he significantly overpays.

EDIT: I don't know Kimbrel's asking price or that it is "significantly" outside of what Stearns is willing to pay. I am assuming the gap must be somewhat large because if it were not the two sides would have agreed on a contract. I am perfectly willing to concede the gap may be closer than the situation would seem to indicate.

Yes that is certainly stearns m/o up to this point. Only difference I see now is the market in all likelihood is down enough to where we can get tremendous value on a pitcher of need just by ante up above what’s comfortable. There are exceptions to every rule. If the reports are true and it’s down to the braves and brewers and Kimbrel doesn’t want to wait til the second week of June, I think that time to break that rule is now. I don’t think anyone is gonna care that he overpaid for one year of arguably the best closer in baseball. I think some of us are so focused on the trees we miss the forest.

Or possibly we shouldn’t be starting the season at a $145 million payroll since we haven’t even played Game 1 yet and there will be plenty of guys coming up from the minors filling in for injuries, mid season signings, trade deadline trades that would push the payroll over $160 million by seasons end. You continue to say that we have all this money to spend on guys. It’s been discussed quite a bit that the payroll can probably be around $145-$150 million by season’s end to be close to breaking even. I think signing Kimbrel and expecting the ending payroll on the season to push $165 million is much too aggressive.

I know people don’t mind Mark taking a loss, because it’s obviously not their money. But then what about when their window closes down the road if Mark was just breaking even or losing money for a few years? Are we still going to draw 3 million fans for a 70 win team so he can make his money back through ticket sales, food sales, merchandise sales, and no playoff revenue? I don’t think expecting him to lose $50 million or more in a 3-5 year window is realistic by any means.

We all want the Brewers to win a World Series. Appreciate what Mark is doing to make that happen. He doesn’t just have hundreds of millions of dollars in his bank to dish out for payroll. Most of his net worth is in his assets associated with the Brewers. It really isn’t as simple as just opening the wallet to spend more.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The value of the Brewers franchise has gone up 10 to 12% per year on average for every single year that Mark is owned the Brewers, that would be between 100 and 120,000,000 just this year alone. I can’t hear how Mark could possibly take a loss for us to win a World Series ever again, it’s nauseating. If you want to know what I really think it’s the following: we are a contending midmarket team that should have a payroll of at least 150. Then when you have the fact that we’ve never won a World Series in 50 years and the fact of Milwaukee being the best fans in all of baseball, we deserve A payroll of whatever it takes to win a World Series when we’re contending. Just on revenue alone this year can support a payroll north of 150, then add a playoff appearance and it only goes up from there. Anyhow the fact that Mark will make $100 million just on the value of the franchise this year alone should be enough to end all this silly talk about us not having the money and wow our payroll is 127 million The most in Brewer history. stop. that’s nothing. At some point in the future if we’re not a contender Stearns can dump the payroll to whatever. Mark A is not mike ilitch or bud selig.

The value of the Brewers franchise has gone up 10 to 15% per year on average for every single year that Mark is owned the Brewers, that would be between 100 and 120,000,000 just this year alone. I can’t hear how Mark could possibly take a loss for us to win a World Series ever again, it’s nauseating. If you want to what I really think it’s the following: we are a contending midmarket team that should have a payroll of at least 150. Then when you have the fact that we’ve never won a World Series in 50 years and the fact of Milwaukee being the best fans in all of baseball, we deserve A payroll of whatever it takes to win a World Series when we’re contending. Just a revenue alone this year can support a payroll north of 150, then add a playoff appearance and it only goes up from there. Anyhow the fact that Mark will make $100 million just on the value of the franchise this year alone should be enough to end all this silly talk about us not having the money and wow our payroll is 127 million The most in Brewer history stop that’s nothing. At some point in the future if we’re not a contender Stearns can dump the payroll to whatever. Mark A is not mike ilitch or bud selig.

It’s nauseating that a business owner doesn’t want to lose money? He should just lose millions of dollars and take a big loss? From what I can find online, Mark is the majority owner and owns 38% of the Brewers. If you think he’s personally gaining $100 million in his pocket this year then wow. Their valuation went up 6% from last year to this year alone. How much of that is Mark’s at a 38% stake? $10 million? Also, just because a value of a business goes up does not mean there is an increase in cash in his pocket to throw at payroll.

Stearns can dump the payroll to whatever when we aren’t contending? That proves my point. Brewers won’t draw 3 million fans winning 70 games and fielding a team with a $70 million payroll after spending $130 million on it a couple years earlier. How is he gaining his money back now to fund another competitive team down the road if he blows it all now, but can’t make it back up down the road since they are fielding a poor team with a low payroll? They will still draw fans, but a lot of people won’t pay to watch a non-competitive team, especially after an extended competitive window. Many fans will lose interest in the team if they start losing a bunch of games and they will feel slighted when they are paying more for tickets, but the payroll is the lowest it’s been in years. There is a lot that goes into these decisions. It’s not as simple as it’s being made out to be.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The value of the Brewers franchise has gone up 10 to 12% per year on average for every single year that Mark is owned the Brewers, that would be between 100 and 120,000,000 just this year alone. I can’t hear how Mark could possibly take a loss for us to win a World Series ever again, it’s nauseating. If you want to know what I really think it’s the following: we are a contending midmarket team that should have a payroll of at least 150. Then when you have the fact that we’ve never won a World Series in 50 years and the fact of Milwaukee being the best fans in all of baseball, we deserve A payroll of whatever it takes to win a World Series when we’re contending. Just on revenue alone this year can support a payroll north of 150, then add a playoff appearance and it only goes up from there. Anyhow the fact that Mark will make $100 million just on the value of the franchise this year alone should be enough to end all this silly talk about us not having the money and wow our payroll is 127 million The most in Brewer history. stop. that’s nothing. At some point in the future if we’re not a contender Stearns can dump the payroll to whatever. Mark A is not mike ilitch or bud selig.

Milwaukee being the best fans in baseball is not a "Fact", thats an opinion that every fan base of every pro sports franchise shares about its self.

No fan base "deserves" a payroll of whatever it takes to win a world series. They deserve a product on the field of professional baseball, which we have.

Milwaukee being the best fans in baseball is not a "Fact", thats an opinion that every fan base of every pro sports franchise shares about its self.

No fan base "deserves" a payroll of whatever it takes to win a world series. They deserve a product on the field of professional baseball, which we have.

Absolutely. This Brewers team is going to be a lot of fun to watch this season!

The brewers at 2.85 mil fans last year #1 in ALL of baseball Per capita. #30 metro market size #8 in attendance. Best fans in baseball >FACT.

I beg to differ, I don’t how long you’ve been a fan of the brewers, this is my 49th year, 0 titles-1 ws appearance-5 playoffs—- 2-3 million fans year after year. Name me 1 fan base AS LOYAL as ours > THERE ARE NONE!

The ONLY reason mark A makes a good profit EVERY year is because of the best fans in baseball. How else could a franchise #30 baseballs smallest in every way, over perform their attendance to the point of revenue closer to 10th than 30th. Not a unlimited payroll. A PAYROLL REFLECTIVE OF ITS FANS.

The value of the Brewers franchise has gone up 10 to 15% per year on average for every single year that Mark is owned the Brewers, that would be between 100 and 120,000,000 just this year alone. I can’t hear how Mark could possibly take a loss for us to win a World Series ever again, it’s nauseating. If you want to what I really think it’s the following: we are a contending midmarket team that should have a payroll of at least 150. Then when you have the fact that we’ve never won a World Series in 50 years and the fact of Milwaukee being the best fans in all of baseball, we deserve A payroll of whatever it takes to win a World Series when we’re contending. Just a revenue alone this year can support a payroll north of 150, then add a playoff appearance and it only goes up from there. Anyhow the fact that Mark will make $100 million just on the value of the franchise this year alone should be enough to end all this silly talk about us not having the money and wow our payroll is 127 million The most in Brewer history stop that’s nothing. At some point in the future if we’re not a contender Stearns can dump the payroll to whatever. Mark A is not mike ilitch or bud selig.

It’s nauseating that a business owner doesn’t want to lose money? He should just lose millions of dollars and take a big loss? From what I can find online, Mark is the majority owner and owns 38% of the Brewers. If you think he’s personally gaining $100 million in his pocket this year then wow. Their valuation went up 6% from last year to this year alone. How much of that is Mark’s at a 38% stake? $10 million? Also, just because a value of a business goes up does not mean there is an increase in cash in his pocket to throw at payroll.

Stearns can dump the payroll to whatever when we aren’t contending? That proves my point. Brewers won’t draw 3 million fans winning 70 games and fielding a team with a $70 million payroll after spending $130 million on it a couple years earlier. How is he gaining his money back now to fund another competitive team down the road if he blows it all now, but can’t make it back up down the road since they are fielding a poor team with a low payroll? They will still draw fans, but a lot of people won’t pay to watch a non-competitive team, especially after an extended competitive window. Many fans will lose interest in the team if they start losing a bunch of games and they will feel slighted when they are paying more for tickets, but the payroll is the lowest it’s been in years. There is a lot that goes into these decisions. It’s not as simple as it’s being made out to be.

Mark A has NEVER lost $ with the brewers. And with a 157 mil payroll THIS year prob break even. Playoffs add 10-30 mil. As far as his franchise, he bought it for 225+. 2018 worth 1.03 Billion. 775 mil profit in 15 years. 38% of that approx. 300 million that’s his money, which is fine, I don’t begrudge him that.

I could see Kimbrel signing with the Brewers if they can find a taker for Thames and/or Anderson. Maybe that’s why it’s being delayed is that Stearns is trying to work something out before pulling the trigger? I could see that as a reasonable option since those two make around $12.5 million combined. Maybe something like 1/$18 million is reasonable if they can rid themselves of those contracts. Maybe he wants to keep his leverage in trade negotiations by moving Thames and Anderson first before signing Kimbrel? Teams would know that we are desperate to clear space if Kimbrel was signed first, which would lower the return on those two. Just an idea...

Regardless of if the Brewers can afford Kimbrel, it is still in their best interest to assign a value to him, and not exceed that. If he is unwilling to sign for the amount that the Brewers deem he's worth (not what we as fans think he's worth), you move on.

And stearns has assigned that value and won’t budge and will move on.

I’m just hopin mark steps in before we’d move on signs him and takes the blame/credit. MarkA apologizes for stepping in and signing Kimbrel but says “ I did it for the best fans in baseball” and it’s time to win it for Bud Selig and Bob Uecker.

I could see Kimbrel signing with the Brewers if they can find a taker for Thames and/or Anderson. Maybe that’s why it’s being delayed is that Stearns is trying to work something out before pulling the trigger? I could see that as a reasonable option since those two make around $12.5 million combined. Maybe something like 1/$18 million is reasonable if they can rid themselves of those contracts. Maybe he wants to keep his leverage in trade negotiations by moving Thames and Anderson first before signing Kimbrel? Teams would know that we are desperate to clear space if Kimbrel was signed first, which would lower the return on those two. Just an idea...

I would like to see them keep Thames and trade Anderson. Thames has been raking and he provides a backup 1B or power lefty on the bench while Anderson seems somewhat expendable.

Then why the hell is the Kimbrel camp asking for $100 million for the last 6 months, you can’t hide a damaged elbow it’s coming out during the medical.

There are varying levels of damage that show on every MRI. There are varying degrees of flexibility and range of motion that show from a simple exam. Different teams have different levels of risk they're willing to take. It also depends on the medical staff and what concerns them and what doesn't. It's not as simple as you're suggesting.

Are you trying to infer that's a statement that was made that you're replying to? Because at no poing in there did he say he thought it was nauseating for a business owner to not want to take a loss.

What he said was that Mark A has already made hundreds of Millions of dollars on his investment(that's true, though it's like almost all rich people's money, it's not actual money, it's valuation) and that he doesn't believe that he(Mark A) would lose money and that he finds the ARGUMENT being made nauseating.

I find it nauseating when people create a fictional argument or ascribe a comment to a person that a person never made, then argue against that so as to argue their point stronger.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

No, of course not. I don't even know if this is a fact anymore, but I do KNOW that it wasn't long ago that Brewers fans spent more money per capita than any other fan base in all of baseball per capita.

So perhaps the Brewers fans are more fiscally invested in their team than other fan bases are per person. But "best," is an arbitrary word. And I've never once heard a single player retire from playing in one place for a long time and NOT refer to the fan base he was speaking to on the mic as the best fans in whatever sport it is that person played.

I would slightly disagree with you. I DO think we "deserve" a owner who's willing to extend himself a bit in unique situations when you have a team capable of going to a World Series given the financial committment we continue to make to the team.

For instance, if say, you're a team that won last year in large part due to a fantastic bullpen and now you're realistically looking at missing your two best right handed pitchers from last years team and due to a confluence of events, one of the greatest relievers who has ever pitched has become available for far cheaper and for a far shorter deal than anyone thought possible just a short time ago, I think you're obligated to TRY and make that situation work out.

That's provided that the pitcher is healthy(lets not forget that as bad as Jeffress was at the very end of last year, Kimbrell was just as shaky, this can often times be an indicated or elbow issues...ie, control issues, but not veloity issues) and that while you may not be comfortable with the terms of the potential deal, they're not outlandish or something that was forbid us from being competitive in the near future, ie, a 3 year 55 million dollar deal.

As far as the money goes here is where I differ from just about everybody on this board > outbid the CHEAPLY run corporate profit focused Atlanta braves and sign Kimbrel. And I’ll say this for the 15th time > WE HAVE THE $$$$.

If there is anything we have learned since Stearns has been in charge is he rarely will pay more (in terms of salary, players, etc) than he believes a player is worth. All of his moves have been about getting value for assets expended, and while he is willing to pay a premium price for production now that the Brewers are competitive he doesn't appear to be willing to overpay.

I think Stearns would like to add Kimbrel. I think the Brewers are in a good position to add expensive pieces like Kimbrel because competing for a championship is realistic. I don't think, however, Stearns is going to pay Kimbrel more than he thinks he's worth, regardless of factors such as cash on hand, current roster makeup, etc.

If Kimbrel's price remains significantly outside of what Stearns thinks he's worth, I doubt we'll see Kimbrel sign with the Brewers. The only possible scenario I could see where Stearns overpays for Kimbrel would be on a one-year deal, and even then I doubt he significantly overpays.

EDIT: I don't know Kimbrel's asking price or that it is "significantly" outside of what Stearns is willing to pay. I am assuming the gap must be somewhat large because if it were not the two sides would have agreed on a contract. I am perfectly willing to concede the gap may be closer than the situation would seem to indicate.

Yes that is certainly stearns m/o up to this point. Only difference I see now is the market in all likelihood is down enough to where we can get tremendous value on a pitcher of need just by ante up above what’s comfortable. There are exceptions to every rule. If the reports are true and it’s down to the braves and brewers and Kimbrel doesn’t want to wait til the second week of June, I think that time to break that rule is now. I don’t think anyone is gonna care that he overpaid for one year of arguably the best closer in baseball. I think some of us are so focused on the trees we miss the forest.

I agree with this. Though overpay means something different to everyone.

Stearns does not overpay, but Stearns has never been in a situation like this before, going into the season and just weeks before it starts, two of the most important pieces of your team go down with what we have to assume are going to be prolonged injuries that in a VERY BEST case scenario will leave us without those two pitchers for an extended period of time, a period in which we have a very difficult schedule.

The Braves are one of the cheapest teams in baseball relative to what they're fiscally capable of spending, so hopefully that will work out to our advantage as much as Kimbrel's history with the Braves will work against.

Provided you're fully confident that Kimbrel is healthy and that he can come in and produce at a level like he has in the past(and if he's healthy, there's no reason to believe he cannot) then I'd be all for giving him a 2 year 38 million dollar deal with a team option for the 2nd year. Maybe 16 million this year, 20 million next year and a 2 million dollar buyout. It's allow Kimbrel to save face and get more than the QO that he turned down, it'd allow the Brewers to get out of it after one year, AND if he has a dominant season like he had in 2017, you could pick up that option and likely turn around and trade him.

When he's on, he's as good as JUST about any reliever has ever been.

I know this is hindsight and there was no reason to focus on this at the time, but how eager would this team be to negotiate with Miller or Robertson, or the guy I really wanted, Ottavino.

I was operating under the assumption it'd be a strength for us(and given that Kimbrel has been pitching with some damage in his elbow since 2014 in Texas, and we still have a lot of young talent, it still could be). But how much nicer would it be to have Ottavino as depth rather than have to try and negotiate with a pitcher who's intent on setting the market for FA Relief pitchers? Not blaming Stearns at all...though it did make more sense to me than bringing back Moose, but not the point.

If Kimbrel wants to play around too much longer though, the Brewers should just move on entirely, if their BP lets them down, try and swing a deal with a team like Baltimore or whatever bottom dwellers are out there for our young OF'ers. Of course by that point, we may have already lost a win or 3 and look at where we'd have been last yearee in that scenario.

Are you trying to infer that's a statement that was made that you're replying to? Because at no poing in there did he say he thought it was nauseating for a business owner to not want to take a loss.

What he said was that Mark A has already made hundreds of Millions of dollars on his investment(that's true, though it's like almost all rich people's money, it's not actual money, it's valuation) and that he doesn't believe that he(Mark A) would lose money and that he finds the ARGUMENT being made nauseating.

I find it nauseating when people create a fictional argument or ascribe a comment to a person that a person never made, then argue against that so as to argue their point stronger.

I stated earlier that “I know people don’t mind Mark taking a loss, because it’s obviously not their money”. His response was “I can’t hear how Mark could possibly take a loss for us to win a World Series ever again, it’s nauseating”. That is a direct response saying it’s nauseating for him to hear about Mark taking a loss this year to attempt to get a World Series.

He stated that the valuation of the Brewers has increased, but failed to realize that doesn’t directly affect the amount of money available for Mark to spend. You stated “he (Brew crew 92) doesn't believe that he(Mark A) would lose money and that he finds the ARGUMENT being made nauseating”. Him saying “we deserve A payroll of whatever it takes to win a World Series when we’re contending“ added with his quote of “I can’t hear how Mark could possibly take a loss for us to win a World Series ever again, it’s nauseating”, he is definitely suggesting Mark to take a loss. I don’t think trying to say that I’m pretty much lying and making up what he says is fair at all. These are direct quotes that were stated in this thread.

Archived