Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

If they were going to get Kimbrel, it would have happened by now.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Does that go for every team or just the Brewers? Because he's going to sign somewhere.

It makes perfect sense. There are teams out there with deeper pockets and all Kimbrel has to do is wait. The situation isn't going to get any better in terms of a team needing a closer. If he isn't singed it's about the money and I don't see the Brewers ponying up the price. If they were, he'd be signed. Are you saying he is going to sign here?

How do you know Stearns doesn't have a 1 year/$20M offer on the table and Kimbrel's camp is just weighing whether he should blink and take it and try again next year or hold his ground on a multi-year deal?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they were going to get Kimbrel, it would have happened by now.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Does that go for every team or just the Brewers? Because he's going to sign somewhere.

It makes perfect sense. There are teams out there with deeper pockets and all Kimbrel has to do is wait. The situation isn't going to get any better in terms of a team needing a closer. If he isn't singed it's about the money and I don't see the Brewers ponying up the price. If they were, he'd be signed. Are you saying he is going to sign here?

No, I'm saying he could sign tomorrow, Monday, Wednesday....whenever. Could be the Brewers, could be someone else. What's magical about today? It's always about money, yet the Brewers have signed other FAs right? Not trying to argue, I just don't understand why they would be out and other teams are still in. Just because they have more money, doesn't mean they're going to spend it on Kimbrel.

How do you know Stearns doesn't have a 1 year/$20M offer on the table and Kimbrel's camp is just weighing whether he should blink and take it and try again next year or hold his ground on a multi-year deal?

Because what, he's sat all winter and now, magically, his dream contract will appear for no reason? C'mon now. What I'm saying is I don't see DS even making a one year offer at that price.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

No, I'm saying he could sign tomorrow, Monday, Wednesday....whenever. Could be the Brewers, could be someone else. What's magical about today? It's always about money, yet the Brewers have signed other FAs right? Not trying to argue, I just don't understand why they would be out and other teams are still in. Just because they have more money, doesn't mean they're going to spend it on Kimbrel.

I don't know what makes today magical. I didn't say anthing about today being the day something had to happen. Not sure what the point is there. If it's always about he money and he hasn't signed with Milwaukee, then they aren't willing to pay his price. This isn't nearly as complicated as some of you want it to be. It's not like he's not signing here because he won't close.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Now apparently the Braves are in, according to David O'Brien, a Braves beat guy. Down to the Brewers and Braves for Kimbrel's services. Braves have familiarity, but notoriously cheap ownership. Brewers have an ownership group that wants to go for it. Will be interesting to see what happens. I hope the Braves don't get him, as their fans have been obnoxiously begging for him for months.

I don't think Kimbrel would have been in Arizona getting his elbow examined if terms weren't essentially agreed upon or very far along. If he was closer to a deal with the Braves, wouldn't he be in Florida? Every day that passes without Kimbrel becoming a Brewer makes me think they're not sold on the health of his arm. Just my opinion.

Now apparently the Braves are in, according to David O'Brien, a Braves beat guy. Down to the Brewers and Braves for Kimbrel's services. Braves have familiarity, but notoriously cheap ownership. Brewers have an ownership group that wants to go for it. Will be interesting to see what happens. I hope the Braves don't get him, as their fans have been obnoxiously begging for him for months.

Well now if the reports are true let’s see if Mark A puts his foot down

Keuchel was down to those two teams at one point as well. Maybe it's real, maybe it's not. Brewers don't usually come out on top of these bidding wars because they won't get involved in bidding wars.

I don't know what makes today magical. I didn't say anthing about today being the day something had to happen. Not sure what the point is there. If it's always about he money and he hasn't signed with Milwaukee, then they aren't willing to pay his price. This isn't nearly as complicated as some of you want it to be. It's not like he's not signing here because he won't close.

It's not always as simplistic as you're portraying, either.

Negotiations aren't always that cut and dry that just because we said "We'll pay X" and he hasn't said yes that it means it's over. Free agency wouldn't last much past November if that was the case. He could, yes, still be holding out for a multi year deal. Not because it's just going to "magically" appear but because it only takes one team and as circumstances change in spring training, he may still feel a team will get desperate and make the move.

And that's fine if you don't think Stearns is offering 1/20, but I can guarantee if they're actually negotiating with him as is being reported, Stearns is well aware that a 1/10 offer is a waste of his time. And I doubt he's a fan of wasting his own time.

Perhaps he'll put his foot down and say "Forget it." I'd like Kimbrel, but not if there's going to be this bidding war crap. Both these teams have had months to throw a contract at him, and he's had months to accept one. If he's going to play the two against each other, I say "Good luck in Atlanta, Craig."

It's not always as simplistic as you're portraying, either.

Negotiations aren't always that cut and dry that just because we said "We'll pay X" and he hasn't said yes that it means it's over. Free agency wouldn't last much past November if that was the case. He could, yes, still be holding out for a multi year deal. Not because it's just going to "magically" appear but because it only takes one team and as circumstances change in spring training, he may still feel a team will get desperate and make the move.

And that's fine if you don't think Stearns is offering 1/20, but I can guarantee if they're actually negotiating with him as is being reported, Stearns is well aware that a 1/10 offer is a waste of his time. And I doubt he's a fan of wasting his own time.

You're right, contextual factors matter. In this case, in this vacuum, I don't think it's complicated. Time will tell.

Perhaps he'll put his foot down and say "Forget it." I'd like Kimbrel, but not if there's going to be this bidding war crap. Both these teams have had months to throw a contract at him, and he's had months to accept one. If he's going to play the two against each other, I say "Good luck in Atlanta, Craig."

Braves even more $ to spend than us, but the media group that owns the team is totally about profit so I doubt there’s a “bidding war” between these two teams. I know what I’d do if I owned the team and was worth 800 mil and I know what bud selig would do with wealth. If the reports are true and it really is between the Brewers and the Braves there’s no way that Kimbrel should be going anywhere but to Milwaukee.

Braves > Cheap

Brewers > ?

I don't think Kimbrel would have been in Arizona getting his elbow examined if terms weren't essentially agreed upon or very far along. If he was closer to a deal with the Braves, wouldn't he be in Florida? Every day that passes without Kimbrel becoming a Brewer makes me think they're not sold on the health of his arm. Just my opinion.

Interesting take.

Guessing Kimbrels market is at a standstill with Knebel still up in the air. Huge leverage either way if Knebel is out for the year

Not sure him being in Arizona vs. Florida means much other than I think we are pretty serious. I’d guess if Knebel is out for the year we sign him. And I think he will be.

I don’t think Kimbrel’s arm is of any concern. Knebel is the problem and until that is figured out nothing will happen.

Brew talking with SF Giants per Schulmann (sp?) per Twitter

"I have no specific information, but I would guess #sfgiants and #brewers are chatting. MIL has some key bullpen injuries and, from what I understand, some outfielders at higher levels of minors. New SF director of pro scouting would know them. He was hired away from Brewers."

So he's just speculating, by his own admission. He could very well be right, it makes some sense, but I wouldn't read much into it.

Guessing Kimbrels market is at a standstill with Knebel still up in the air. Huge leverage either way if Knebel is out for the year

Not sure him being in Arizona vs. Florida means much other than I think we are pretty serious. I’d guess if Knebel is out for the year we sign him. And I think he will be.

I don’t think Kimbrel’s arm is of any concern. Knebel is the problem and until that is figured out nothing will happen.

I don’t think final word on Knebel matters much right now, brewers going with assumption no Knebel with regards to Kimbrel in my opinion. I think brewers offer needs to be more than braves to overcome possible old time sake feelings, who knows maybe mad at em for sending him on his way?

Yes i wonder that is very curious why he in Arizona too. But i would think something would have been done by now the brewers should have gotten his results. I am a bit concerned about the Bullpen hopefully one of these new signings can help.

I am in favor of a trade verses paying a premium price for a FA. Someone who has been in a MLB camp and ready for the season. I realize I have not mentioned a name, which makes my comment seem incomplete.

I’m assuming you mean Kimbrel in this scenario? Well I think stearns has determined that plan A is to try to sign Kimbrel. And the reason is performance based value. I mean who out there can help our pen as much or more than this man? And at what cost? I think the answers are no one and only money. Kimbrel’s talents speak for them self’s and would certainly make up for the loss of Knebel. Other than a 4th round pick we won’t have trade our future farm to get premium talent. As far as the money goes here is where I differ from just about everybody on this board > outbid the CHEAPLY run corporate profit focused Atlanta braves and sign Kimbrel. And I’ll say this for the 15th time > WE HAVE THE $$$$.

They should absolutely sign Kimbrel before trading any assets for a reliever. Not only is Kimbrel the best available option by a mile, he only costs cash and the loss of a mid round draft pick!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

As far as the money goes here is where I differ from just about everybody on this board > outbid the CHEAPLY run corporate profit focused Atlanta braves and sign Kimbrel. And I’ll say this for the 15th time > WE HAVE THE $$$$.

If there is anything we have learned since Stearns has been in charge is he rarely will pay more (in terms of salary, players, etc) than he believes a player is worth. All of his moves have been about getting value for assets expended, and while he is willing to pay a premium price for production now that the Brewers are competitive he doesn't appear to be willing to overpay.

I think Stearns would like to add Kimbrel. I think the Brewers are in a good position to add expensive pieces like Kimbrel because competing for a championship is realistic. I don't think, however, Stearns is going to pay Kimbrel more than he thinks he's worth, regardless of factors such as cash on hand, current roster makeup, etc.

If Kimbrel's price remains significantly outside of what Stearns thinks he's worth, I doubt we'll see Kimbrel sign with the Brewers. The only possible scenario I could see where Stearns overpays for Kimbrel would be on a one-year deal, and even then I doubt he significantly overpays.

EDIT: I don't know Kimbrel's asking price or that it is "significantly" outside of what Stearns is willing to pay. I am assuming the gap must be somewhat large because if it were not the two sides would have agreed on a contract. I am perfectly willing to concede the gap may be closer than the situation would seem to indicate.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

As far as the money goes here is where I differ from just about everybody on this board > outbid the CHEAPLY run corporate profit focused Atlanta braves and sign Kimbrel. And I’ll say this for the 15th time > WE HAVE THE $$$$.

If there is anything we have learned since Stearns has been in charge is he rarely will pay more (in terms of salary, players, etc) than he believes a player is worth. All of his moves have been about getting value for assets expended, and while he is willing to pay a premium price for production now that the Brewers are competitive he doesn't appear to be willing to overpay.

I think Stearns would like to add Kimbrel. I think the Brewers are in a good position to add expensive pieces like Kimbrel because competing for a championship is realistic. I don't think, however, Stearns is going to pay Kimbrel more than he thinks he's worth, regardless of factors such as cash on hand, current roster makeup, etc.

If Kimbrel's price remains significantly outside of what Stearns thinks he's worth, I doubt we'll see Kimbrel sign with the Brewers. The only possible scenario I could see where Stearns overpays for Kimbrel would be on a one-year deal, and even then I doubt he significantly overpays.

EDIT: I don't know Kimbrel's asking price or that it is "significantly" outside of what Stearns is willing to pay. I am assuming the gap must be somewhat large because if it were not the two sides would have agreed on a contract. I am perfectly willing to concede the gap may be closer than the situation would seem to indicate.

Yes that is certainly stearns m/o up to this point. Only difference I see now is the market in all likelihood is down enough to where we can get tremendous value on a pitcher of need just by ante up above what’s comfortable. There are exceptions to every rule. If the reports are true and it’s down to the braves and brewers and Kimbrel doesn’t want to wait til the second week of June, I think that time to break that rule is now. I don’t think anyone is gonna care that he overpaid for one year of arguably the best closer in baseball. I think some of us are so focused on the trees we miss the forest.

Yes that is certainly stearns m/o up to this point. Only difference I see now is the market in all likelihood is down enough to where we can get tremendous value on a pitcher of need just by ante up above what’s comfortable. There are exceptions to every rule. If the reports are true and it’s down to the braves and brewers and Kimbrel doesn’t want to wait til the second week of June, I think that time to break that rule is now. I don’t think anyone is gonna care that he overpaid for one year of arguably the best closer in baseball. I think some of us are so focused on the trees we miss the forest.

I agree that "overpaying" a bit on a one-year deal won't kill this team. If I were in charge (and thank god I'm not) I'd be willing to offer a higher salary to get a one-year deal, and I think Stearns would too. In that regard I think it's within Stearns SOP to "overpay" to sign players like he already did with Grandal.

I do think, though, Stearns still has a "will not exceed" price that he just won't match. I don't know what it is, how that lines up with how much salary they have left to add (both now and later this summer), etc., but I think as long as Kimbrel either wants multiple years or more than Stearn's "best offer" a deal isn't going to get done. Even if the team can technically afford it.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Archived