Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

I wonder if the delay is Kimbrel holding out for a multi year deal and the Brewers holding firm at one.

As a side, the journalist reporting this is followed by Jon Morosi, for whatever that’s worth.

So I was trying to figure out this guy's connection and how he's getting a scoop where nobody else is.

Found this bio on a web search:

Nilson Pepén has been in Boston since 1998. I can't off hand think of any Boston Red Sox connections with our front office, but his bio also says he's passionate about "everything Dominican."

Searched for Brewers front office members, see this on a Brewers front office directory on mlb.com:

Special Advisor - Baseball Operations/Player Development Carlos Villanueva

Villanueva is Dominican. That's all I got, but it's not beyond reason to think that they've crossed paths before even though Carlos never played for Boston.

So maybe that's the connection.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brew talking with SF Giants per Schulmann (sp?) per Twitter

This can also give them some leverage with Kimbrel. If you don't want to take the deal we are offering, we can just work out a trade to get what we are looking for.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

This can also give them some leverage with Kimbrel. If you don't want to take the deal we are offering, we can just work out a trade to get what we are looking for.

To which he might say "go ahead, I'll be right here when you decide not to give up prospects instead of money."

If Kimbrel doesn't sign with us, he will sign someplace, he knows it. I believe he still has the leverage. Someone always comes calling with talent like that.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

To which he might say "go ahead, I'll be right here when you decide not to give up prospects instead of money."

If Kimbrel doesn't sign with us, he will sign someplace, he knows it. I believe he still has the leverage. Someone always comes calling with talent like that.

Hmm, not sure about that. It's March 22nd and he still has not signed with anyone yet. So, clearly teams are not willing to give him what he's asking for. Yes, in all likelihood he will sign with someone eventually, but seems like he's going to have to lower his salary demand to do it. Brewers might decide its a better value to trade a mid level prospect for a "Kimbrel light", than to spend the kind of money he's demanding.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Teams don't constantly buy insurance on players. It is insanely expensive and it only covers you if they get injured and it is deemed they can never player baseball again. Until then you are not getting any money from the insurance. Prince Fielder is the only one in recent memory that actually had that happen. If Kimbrel blows out his elbow we don't get a dime. He would have to hang them up and a doctor would have to say you can't attempt to come back.

Unless we are paying Kimbrel $100mil we aren't getting insurance.

Teams don't constantly buy insurance on players. It is insanely expensive and it only covers you if they get injured and it is deemed they can never player baseball again. Until then you are not getting any money from the insurance. Prince Fielder is the only one in recent memory that actually had that happen. If Kimbrel blows out his elbow we don't get a dime. He would have to hang them up and a doctor would have to say you can't attempt to come back.

Not sure that is fact?

That's my understanding as well. No way of knowing for sure, just something that is rarely publicized. Good point about career ending injury being necessary for pay-out, forgot to mention that earlier.

I think what it all comes down to is if Kimbrell doesn’t mind waiting until the June draft it’s possible he could get more than he’s getting offered today but at the same time does he want to wait? We shall see

“Kimbrel light” who that be now that Knebel injured?

Not sure if I understood this, but I'm assuming you accidentally left out the word "would" (As is "who would that be now..."). As someone mentioned above, possibly someone like Wil Smith. Good numbers and is due less than $5M this year. I don't think the Brewers would have to give up a ton to get him, especially since he is FA eligible next year.

But also, not sure what Knebel being injured has to do with who the "Kimbrel light" would be. I'm guessing you feel it's more urgent to sign Kimbrel now that Knebel is injured and the Brewers should do whatever it takes to get Kimbrel and not settle for a "Kimbrel light". I personally would hate to see the Brewers panic and cave to Kimbrel's inflated demands because of Knebel's situation. My hope is that Stearns is smarter than that and is capable of finding a better value elsewhere if Kimbrel is unwilling to be reasonable.

Not sure that is fact?

You claimed that almost all teams get insurance on pitchers with big contracts, where are your facts on that?

It's something that is rarely talked about so I really doubt that any posters here know those facts either way, but hard to call someone out when you didn't provide any actual evidence to your claim either.

I'm sure this might have been discussed, but without having to read back through the 14 pages...

Is there a draft pick loss connected to signing Kimbrel? If so, what would that be for the Brewers?

Yes, I believe our 4th rounder. Next pick after whatever we lost for Grandal.

“Kimbrel light” who that be now that Knebel injured?

Not sure if I understood this, but I'm assuming you accidentally left out the word "would" (As is "who would that be now..."). As someone mentioned above, possibly someone like Wil Smith. Good numbers and is due less than $5M this year. I don't think the Brewers would have to give up a ton to get him, especially since he is FA eligible next year.

But also, not sure what Knebel being injured has to do with who the "Kimbrel light" would be. I'm guessing you feel it's more urgent to sign Kimbrel now that Knebel is injured and the Brewers should do whatever it takes to get Kimbrel and not settle for a "Kimbrel light". I personally would hate to see the Brewers panic and cave to Kimbrel's inflated demands because of Knebel's situation. My hope is that Stearns is smarter than that and is capable of finding a better value elsewhere if Kimbrel is unwilling to be reasonable.

Yes. You nailed me on this one. Kimbrel IF HEALTHY or bust, but I’d also trade for Smith.They prob gonna want Ray. Think I’d do it not sure stearns would.

You claimed that almost all teams get insurance on pitchers with big contracts, where are your facts on that?

It's something that is rarely talked about so I really doubt that any posters here know those facts either way, but hard to call someone out when you didn't provide any actual evidence to your claim either.

I heard Steve Phillips talking about this a week or so ago and insurance for baseball players is almost never purchased because it is almost never worth it. For instance, you can by insurance on Kimbrel but any part of him that has ever been injured would be excluded from the policy. There was a bunch of other stuff as well but having insurance doesn't seem to help much.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Not sure that is fact?

Yes I did claim that. That was my understanding but I could be wrong. You actually got me thinking that I am wrong. But at the same time I still want Kimbrel.

Look a year ago I’d have crushed me too, I’d of course would argue “small market team can’t” take a chance on a potential “crippling contract”. Call me what you want, through research my opinion has changed. MLB teams will guard there books with every lawyer they have for a reason. Braves were forced to open there’s and there 2018 profit was 100 million. With payroll of 130 mil and bad local tv deal. New stadium added revenue but they had ave ticket prices and drew 350,000 LESS than us. 100 mil with 130 mil payroll with revenue SLIGHTLY more than us. Please stop with the small market talk. Mark A good owner but he’s not Mike Ilitch. 150+ mil payroll not even that much unless your Tom Haudricourt. I mean most us have been die hard brewer fans longer than mark A. I know if I was worth 800 million and bought a baseball team for 225 15 years ago that’s now worth 1.13 BILLION that hasn’t won a title in its 50 years of it’s existence and only reason it’s a mid market is it’s truly “ Best fans in baseball “ I’d truly reward those fans by forgoing a profit and upping payroll reflective of its fans.

I heard Steve Phillips talking about this a week or so ago and insurance for baseball players is almost never purchased because it is almost never worth it. For instance, you can by insurance on Kimbrel but any part of him that has ever been injured would be excluded from the policy. There was a bunch of other stuff as well but having insurance doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks for clarifying,TPlush correct I wrong

If they were going to get Kimbrel, it would have happened by now.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Does that go for every team or just the Brewers? Because he's going to sign somewhere.

With news on Nelson wonder if price just went up further or just more firm?

If they were going to get Kimbrel, it would have happened by now.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Does that go for every team or just the Brewers? Because he's going to sign somewhere.

It makes perfect sense. There are teams out there with deeper pockets and all Kimbrel has to do is wait. The situation isn't going to get any better in terms of a team needing a closer. If he isn't singed it's about the money and I don't see the Brewers ponying up the price. If they were, he'd be signed. Are you saying he is going to sign here?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived