Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewers in all likelihood gonna have to be a second half team this year. Between injuries and inexperience and schedule if they can just hang in there til deadline I have confidence stearns can do what’s needed to shore up any weakness. And sept look out = call em all up and reel off a 21-5 streak.

So just to be clear, if Arcia is the black hole, and Hiura gets called up, who plays shortstop? Are you suggesting, and it won't really be all that shocking, that Hiura will be our SS in that scenario?

If / when Hiura gets called up, it is to play 2B. Who plays SS?

No, he's suggested in the recent past that Moustakas play SS. Because he played it in HS. Seriously.

No, he played in full-season A and at rookie level. It was about 65 games, and he wasn't a total hack in the field.

If Arcia puts up a .250 avg/.320 OBP/.380 SLG, then no need to worry - the Crew can make adjustments as necessary.

My worry is if Arcia is below the Uecker line again... .200/.250/.325 won't cut it, no matter how good he fields.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So just to be clear, if Arcia is the black hole, and Hiura gets called up, who plays shortstop? Are you suggesting, and it won't really be all that shocking, that Hiura will be our SS in that scenario?

If / when Hiura gets called up, it is to play 2B. Who plays SS?

No, he's suggested in the recent past that Moustakas play SS. Because he played it in HS. Seriously.

No, he played in full-season A and at rookie level. It was about 65 games, and he wasn't a total hack in the field.

If Arcia puts up a .250 avg/.320 OBP/.380 SLG, then no need to worry - the Crew can make adjustments as necessary.

My worry is if Arcia is below the Uecker line again... .200/.250/.325 won't cut it, no matter how good he fields.

Then Perez sees more time at SS. Then they would call up Saladino or Dubon. Those guys would all play SS before Moustakas. Probably Jake Hager too. Just because a guy played the position as a 18-19 year old, it doesn't mean he could play there as a 30 year old. Braun played SS as an 18-19 year old at Miami. That doesn't mean he should be anywhere near an MLB infield.

In all honesty the Brewers could afford Arcia to hit just like his line was last year (horrendous). They couldn’t afford to have him AND Pina AND whatever hack was at 2B last year. That was brutal and a total rally killer. Now have a hack right before the pitcher is still bad, but the other 7 guys should be pretty solid making it palatable.

That being said to not get replaced before August he needs to hit close to a .700 OPS.

Now what all this has to do with Kimbrel I will never know.

Is this Nilson Pepen guy legit?

He's a Spanish language multimedia Red Sox reporter. I don't know why he'd be making things up.

That was my thought. He seems to be in a position where making things up would be detrimental. He seems pretty sure.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Is this Nilson Pepen guy legit?

He's a Spanish language multimedia Red Sox reporter. I don't know why he'd be making things up.

That was my thought. He seems to be in a position where making things up would be detrimental. He seems pretty sure.

I predict he signs with us. How bout you guys?

I predict he signs with us. How bout you guys?

If he does, great. If not, it wasn't meant to be, and you move on. All it would take is a team like the Cubs or Braves stepping up to knock the Brewers out. Both could comfortably offer more years and hence, more guaranteed cash. The longer it drags on, the less chance I see it actually happening.

If he does, great. If not, it wasn't meant to be, and you move on. All it would take is a team like the Cubs or Braves stepping up to knock the Brewers out. Both could comfortably offer more years and hence, more guaranteed cash. The longer it drags on, the less chance I see it actually happening.

I'm inclined to think we've reached that point except for that one guy that makes me question my instincts.

What's the Nilson Pepen reference & where's a link? Sounds like there's a scoop but what's being referenced here in this thread isn't being made clear. Time to go a-googling, although those initial efforts aren't yielding any answers....

I wonder if the delay is Kimbrel holding out for a multi year deal and the Brewers holding firm at one.

As a side, the journalist reporting this is followed by Jon Morosi, for whatever that’s worth.

Even if the Brewers do have the framework for a deal in place with Kimbrel my guess is there would still be a delay while the team reviews his medicals and possibly have him undergo a team led physical before anything is cemented. Can’t imagine they would finalize a pricey pitcher signing without 100% assurance there is nothing concerning in the arm or shoulder.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I wonder if the delay is Kimbrel holding out for a multi year deal and the Brewers holding firm at one.

As a side, the journalist reporting this is followed by Jon Morosi, for whatever that’s worth.

Yes agree, stearns had 2 days to get Kimbrel signed before Knebel “dead arm” lie got out. Price either stayed firm or went up since then. If we want him we are going to have to give him 3+ yrs like I’ve been saying all along or maybe but I doubt it 1 at like 22. Everyone already knows what I’d do. Stearns drivin by analytics so prob won’t budge. Which I know will make a lot of you very happy around here. My take here is stearns can prob make pen work without Kimbrel as most of you say, but IMHO Kimbrel’s value is strong enough to warrant 3-4 yr deal. IF goes south stearns can rid of him w/o much if any damage. We have the $, what’s the downside?

Yes agree, stearns had 2 days to get Kimbrel signed before Knebel “dead arm” lie got out. Price either stayed firm or went up since then. If we want him we are going to have to give him 3+ yrs like I’ve been saying all along or maybe but I doubt it 1 at like 22. Everyone already knows what I’d do. Stearns drivin by analytics so prob won’t budge. Which I know will make a lot of you very happy around here. My take here is stearns can prob make pen work without Kimbrel as most of you say, but IMHO Kimbrel’s value is strong enough to warrant 3-4 yr deal. IF goes south stearns can rid of him w/o much if any damage. We have the $, what’s the downside?

I don't think anyone is saying they don't want Kimbrel. They just don't want to sign him to a crippling contract.

The more I think about it the more I'm OK wtih Kimbrel on a one year deal but nothing more. I might be able to be talked into two years but no way am I paying a closer that kind of money for anything close to long term.

I hope this gets figured out soon, I am literally checking into this site every 10 minutes to see if Kimbrel is a Brewer yet.

:(

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

He could get injured and/or fall off the cliff the next couple seasons and the Brewers would be stuck paying a ton of money for multiple years on a player that isn't helping them and no longer has any trade value.

Not even saying whether he's worth that risk or not, just responding to your question.

He could get injured and/or fall off the cliff the next couple seasons and the Brewers would be stuck paying a ton of money for multiple years on a player that isn't helping them and no longer has any trade value.

Not even saying whether he's worth that risk or not, just responding to your question.

They have insurance for injury. % chance he falls off a cliff I’d put at a little lower than low.

They have insurance for injury. % chance he falls off a cliff I’d put at a little lower than low.

That insurance is incredibly expensive. Especially for pitchers, and even moreso for older pitchers. Highly likely the Brewers don't always buy insurance on players, and probably wouldn't for Kimbrel.

That insurance is incredibly expensive. Especially for pitchers, and even moreso for older pitchers. Highly likely the Brewers don't always buy insurance on players, and probably wouldn't for Kimbrel.

Yes but almost all teams with pitchers that have large contracts have insurance on them.

Archived