Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel?

With rumors going around about rule changes regarding relievers pitching to at least 3 batters and the Brewers being so close to the top, does anyone see Mark A saying "Screw it. Budget be damned. Get Kimbrell" and go for it this year? Of course, if he's still holding out for 4-5 years at ridiculous money, no thanks. But a short 1-2 year deal would be awesome. Then flip him at next years deadline if they're out of it. With Jeffress out for the time being, a replacement would be nice and once he comes back, that bullpen would be absolutely ridiculous.

I would like to see them make a pitching move. Too many question marks right now for me. Jeffress, Nelson, no lefty starter etc. Can the young guys hold up? The formula worked last year and putting one more flamethrower in the bullpen would make me feel better.

Just a thought.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With rumors going around about rule changes regarding relievers pitching to at least 3 batters and the Brewers being so close to the top, does anyone see Mark A saying "Screw it. Budget be damned. Get Kimbrell" and go for it this year? Of course, if he's still holding out for 4-5 years at ridiculous money, no thanks. But a short 1-2 year deal would be awesome. Then flip him at next years deadline if they're out of it. With Jeffress out for the time being, a replacement would be nice and once he comes back, that bullpen would be absolutely ridiculous.

I would like to see them make a pitching move. Too many question marks right now for me. Jeffress, Nelson, no lefty starter etc. Can the young guys hold up? The formula worked last year and putting one more flamethrower in the bullpen would make me feel better.

Just a thought.

And it’s a great thought,good sir. Just talked about this in the pitching thread . One or two or three years contract doesn’t matter sign him. Value will be good and he would help us win A World Series. Just think of the Chapman trade in 16.

He was still really good last year but there were definite cracks showing and considering how bad the pitchers who signed during ST were last year I would hesitate to sign him. Especially to anything more than a one year deal. He could be really good or he could be Eric Gagne 2.0. Not sure if I want to pay to find out.

He was still really good last year but there were definite cracks showing and considering how bad the pitchers who signed during ST were last year I would hesitate to sign him. Especially to anything more than a one year deal. He could be really good or he could be Eric Gagne 2.0. Not sure if I want to pay to find out.

Your right he was really good last year. Gagné had steroid inflated stats. Kimbrel unarguably one the best closers in the history of baseball. Even a 3 year contract investment would be a good value in imho. And you don’t have to trade the farm to substantially improve your team. And the more I look at our early season schedule the stronger I want our team to be before the trade deadline.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Always have to be careful doling money out to relievers, as they are so inconsistent. That said, Kimbrel has been one of the more consistent ones his whole career. If the money is right, it's hard not to get excited about the idea of stacking top-end pitching talent. It would definitely mitigate the fact that they went another offseason without making a big upgrade to the rotation.

Gagne?!!! OOF. I blocked him out of my mind. I just think with the style of ball that CC plays and with potential rule changes coming (pitcher use, shifting etc), everything possible needs to be done to use CC's current style. I'm sure he can adapt to the changes, but he knows what he's doing so turn him loose with an endless supply of relievers.

I'm somewhat iffy on the Moose signing. I like him but that seems to be an awful lot for what, on paper, is an average to slightly above average player who is trying to learn a new position. In CC's shifting style of ball, he may be able to be compensated for but lets hope that Keston is as good as advertised and is ready to take over next season at the latest. I personally would have liked that money spent elsewhere.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Gagne?!!! OOF. I blocked him out of my mind. I just think with the style of ball that CC plays and with potential rule changes coming (pitcher use, shifting etc), everything possible needs to be done to use CC's current style. I'm sure he can adapt to the changes, but he knows what he's doing so turn him loose with an endless supply of relievers.

I'm somewhat iffy on the Moose signing. I like him but that seems to be an awful lot for what, on paper, is an average to slightly above average player who is trying to learn a new position. In CC's shifting style of ball, he may be able to be compensated for but lets hope that Keston is as good as advertised and is ready to take over next season at the latest. I personally would have liked that money spent elsewhere.

I think they were always going to sign someone to play 2B this season, whether it was Moose or someone like Marwin Gonzalez. I'm sure they discussed the plan with Moose last season and during the offseason. In fact, Counsell was quoted saying that he talked to Moose several times this offseason, weeks before he signed his deal. I get the feeling the Brewers had their deal with Moose in place all the way back in November/December, but told him to test the market to see if a long-term deal was there. It didn't materialize, so he came back. This is an opportunity for Moose to hit at a great hitter's park that is very friendly to left-handed power hitters, along with play a new position. If he, say, hits .260 with 30-35 HRs and 100 RBIs, he'll be hitting the free agent market again next year as a 30-year-old capable of putting up better numbers than any of the 7-8 or so 2B types that hit the market this year. That'll get him paid.

Just heard John Heyman say he thought Kimbrel was in trouble, meaning having to take a short deal. Sounds like the perfect time to swoop in and sign this guy to a one or two year contract. I mean it’s the perfect storm, with possible Jeffress injury or ineffectiveness and able to get arguably the best closer in baseball on this team. Let’s get it done!

Just heard John Heyman say he thought Kimbrell was in trouble, meaning having to take a short deal. Sounds like the perfect time to swoop in and sign this guy to a one or two year contract. I mean it’s the perfect storm, with possible Jeffress injury or ineffectiveness and able to get arguably the best closer in baseball on this team. Let’s get it done!

Everything Jon Heyman reports is done with the goal of helping Boras get money for his clients. Kimbrel getting a big deal would be money that could go to one of his clients, hence Boras is having his media mouthpiece leak this info.

Just heard John Heyman say he thought Kimbrell was in trouble, meaning having to take a short deal. Sounds like the perfect time to swoop in and sign this guy to a one or two year contract. I mean it’s the perfect storm, with possible Jeffress injury or ineffectiveness and able to get arguably the best closer in baseball on this team. Let’s get it done!

Everything Jon Heyman reports is done with the goal of helping Boras get money for his clients. Kimbrel getting a big deal would be money that could go to one of his clients, hence Boras is having his media mouthpiece leak this info.

That’s just totally ridiculous. John Heyman is a very respected national baseball writer with a good reputation that he doesn’t want to tarnish with a silly boras conspiracy.

Imagine this pen on July 1:

KIMBREL

Knebel

Jeffress

Hader

Guerra

Woodruff

Brown

Claudio

By July Nelson established in rotation allowing woody to pen. Brown called up past super 2 cause dominating AAA like Burnes last year. Albers released. Kimbrel’s 34 saves on pace to break all time record.

I can dream can’t I.

Sorry, but I have OCD when it comes to editorial stuff. Can the title of this topic be changed to reflect that this pitcher's name is Craig Kimbrel, not Kimbrell?

HA! I've been thinking that for days, and usually, the mods catch and correct this kind of stuff in the thread titles...

Glad I'm not the only one this has bothered...

:)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

My pessimist guess is that the Cubs get him. Their bullpen is a mess, Morrow and Strop both hurt, if anyone needs a closer, it's the Cubs.

Cubs get him...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Sorry, but I have OCD when it comes to editorial stuff. Can the title of this topic be changed to reflect that this pitcher's name is Craig Kimbrel, not Kimbrell?

HA! I've been thinking that for days, and usually, the mods catch and correct this kind of stuff in the thread titles...

+1 here too

I'm really surprised Kimbrel isn't signed. There must be a huge divide between what he thinks he is worth & what teams are willing to pay, both in terms of AAV & years.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

My pessimist guess is that the Cubs get him. Their bullpen is a mess, Morrow and Strop both hurt, if anyone needs a closer, it's the Cubs.

Cubs get him...

They certainly need pen help, just don’t think it’ll be Kimbrel. There up against the luxury tax threshold and their owner and Theo already stated not going over.

+1 here too

I'm really surprised Kimbrel isn't signed. There must be a huge divide between what he thinks he is worth & what teams are willing to pay, both in terms of AAV & years.

Two weeks ago there was a report which said Kimbrel is still seeking a 5-6 year deal for 80-100 million dollars.

I think we're getting a little carried away now and pretty paranoid.

Seems to me like he's simply reporting something that's pretty obvious to everyone as the leagues best closer over the last 6-7 years doesn't have a contract on March 17th.

I highly doubt it's part of some nefarious plot to help Boras or one of his clients. Do you really think any front offices are reading Heyman's tweets and making these decisions based on those? Seems unlikely to me.

Eric Gange part two? Kimbrel hasn't had injury problems, he hasn't struggled or be anything other than one of the best 2-3 relievers in the game every year of his career save for last year when he has a career worst FIP of 3.13.

There's always a risk that someone you sign is going to struggle, but we were taking a flier on Gange, hoping he could find the stuff that he had in the two truly dominant seasons he had. Kimbrel is dominant like Gagne was just about every year.

As for pitchers signing this late, I think the main person people are referencing are Holland who struggled early, but then came back and was outstanding the 2nd half of last year.

Of course the Cards started him on the 25 man when they probably should have kept him in extended spring training for a extra couple weeks.

This is all moot though if he's still talking about stupid numbers. At this point, he's a 1 year 12 million, 2 year 25 million dollar type signing IMO. It might take him until May to figure that out.

I would like to add another good reliever, OR just hope that Albers can bounce back and follow his career norm of good year, bad year, good year trend. I think Jeffress is going to see a major regression this year.

Stearns obviously has confidence in our pen, and that's more important than what I think, but I don't have as much that they'll be able to duplicate last year. If Jeffress struggles for a while like Knebel and you take some of your young guys out of the pen, we could actually be a bit thin there. Just hope Guerra and his splitter can translate into a dominant BP arm for us this year. He could really be the X factor.

Eric Gange part two? Kimbrel hasn't had injury problems, he hasn't struggled or be anything other than one of the best 2-3 relievers in the game every year of his career save for last year when he has a career worst FIP of 3.13.

There's always a risk that someone you sign is going to struggle, but we were taking a flier on Gange, hoping he could find the stuff that he had in the two truly dominant seasons he had. Kimbrel is dominant like Gagne was just about every year.

As for pitchers signing this late, I think the main person people are referencing are Holland who struggled early, but then came back and was outstanding the 2nd half of last year.

Of course the Cards started him on the 25 man when they probably should have kept him in extended spring training for a extra couple weeks.

This is all moot though if he's still talking about stupid numbers. At this point, he's a 1 year 12 million, 2 year 25 million dollar type signing IMO. It might take him until May to figure that out.

I would like to add another good reliever, OR just hope that Albers can bounce back and follow his career norm of good year, bad year, good year trend. I think Jeffress is going to see a major regression this year.

Stearns obviously has confidence in our pen, and that's more important than what I think, but I don't have as much that they'll be able to duplicate last year. If Jeffress struggles for a while like Knebel and you take some of your young guys out of the pen, we could actually be a bit thin there. Just hope Guerra and his splitter can translate into a dominant BP arm for us this year. He could really be the X factor.

Great take! Agree with everything you just said. Good thing our starting pitching much stronger than last year or I’d REALLY be worried. Concerned with pen out of the gate especially. No jeffress. No Burnes. No woody. That’s 3 high leverage arms missing. Kimbrel would improve our pen enough early on with our brutal schedule, past super 2 brown, Webb, perdomo,Rasmussen someone or two can help. Your right Stearns knows more than we do, so I guess we’ll see what happens.

Archived