Brewer Fanatic

With the Royals losing Salvador Perez for the season...

Honestly I think the only trade that makes some sense would involve the Brewers acquiring Perez in exchange for some "organizational depth" prospects, in anticipation of Grandal leaving next year.

At which point you are deep into fantasyland.

It's very unlikely, but maybe the Royals want to save some money and commit to a long-term rebuild. "Organizational depth" can mean a wide range of prospect quality, and they might be able to cobble something together.

More importantly, I mostly meant that it would make more sense from the Brewers' perspective than trading away Pina.

I think the issue here is that depending on the timing of this, you're paying 3 years, $39 million (only to actually reap the benefits of the final 2 years) for a guy that most of his value comes on the defensive side coming off of arm issues.

The Royals would probably have to kick in $6-7 million per year to make this work.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Taking on a catcher with $39M remaining on his contract, PLUS is having TJ on his throwing arm -- that just seems foolish.

Perez has been a good player, but who knows how TJ surgery is going to affect him. Why risk taking on this kind of contract with the health uncertainty ahead of you? Especially when Perez is a good - but not great - player.

Even if KC picked up all of this year's salary - which is $11M - you're still on the hook for $28M for 2020-21. That seems kind of crazy for a catcher coming off TJ.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Taking on a catcher with $39M remaining on his contract, PLUS is having TJ on his throwing arm -- that just seems foolish.

Perez has been a good player, but who knows how TJ surgery is going to affect him. Why risk taking on this kind of contract with the health uncertainty ahead of you? Especially when Perez is a good - but not great - player.

Even if KC picked up all of this year's salary - which is $11M - you're still on the hook for $28M for 2020-21. That seems kind of crazy for a catcher coming off TJ.

I love Perez, but that's WAY too much risk. I think the best scenario would be for Nottingham to hit will in AAA this year and come to camp in 2020 looking to share time with Pina. That is provided, of course, the Brewers don't extend Grandal.

Archived