Brewer Fanatic

With the Royals losing Salvador Perez for the season...

...wondering if a deal could be made for Manny Pina?

Looks like they are going to be looking for a starting catcher, and I don't see much out there in FA.

Might the Brewers be willing to part with Pina in the right trade scenario?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why? Why would we give up a fantastic backup to get some marginal at best return when we have a World Series contending team?

Ummm, obviously we wouldn't accept a marginal return.

Where in my post did I say "hey, let's GIVE Pina to the Royals for a marginal return, and lets just accept any offer they give us."

Did I not say "in the RIGHT trade scenario?'

geez

Oh, right. Yah...I would also trade him for Whit Merrifield too.

Personally I would target Wily Peralta.

Whatever man...

:rolleyes

Oh, right. Yah...I would also trade him for Whit Merrifield too.

Personally I would target Wily Peralta.

Whatever man...

:rolleyes

Well what is a logical return that is going to add more than subtracting Lina that the Royals would also logically do? They are beyond bad and clearly rebuilding. We don’t need prospects and I don’t see why they would trade MLB players unless they have a logical bullpen arm that is in his walk year. But once again what pen arm is going to outperform what we lose getting rid of Pina?

I think Pina has surplus value in that he has more to offer than playing once or twice a week. Trading him also leaves room on the team for Kratz. Either way, the Brewers have more major league catchers than they need.

I think Pina has surplus value in that he has more to offer than playing once or twice a week. Trading him also leaves room on the team for Kratz. Either way, the Brewers have more major league catchers than they need.

Is leaving room for Kratz a good idea? He seems like a great guy but his 69 OPS+ last year was pretty terrible. Although if the other option for backup catcher is Gosewisch, he of the career 35 OPS+, I guess Kratz is better. Or, sucks less, if you will. I doubt they keep Nottingham around to only play 1 or 2 games a week.

I think Kratz provided more than just what he did at bat. I think he was a calming/inspiring/other word to describe intangibles kind of guy. At least that's how he was presented to us by media accounts.

If that's true, maybe it's a waste to have him in AAA. And with the 2nd catcher getting less than 150 plate appearances, the difference between Pina and Kratz isnt likely to matter much.

Brewers cant protect Kratz. No options. Should see if the Royals want Kratz and make a deal.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I initially thought the same thing, but are the Royals even trying to compete this year? While Pina is probably an upgrade on Martin Maldonado, is it enough for a bottom-dwelling team to give up anything of value for?

This was going to be my response. The Royals aren't going to give up anything worthwhile for Pina to lose 94 games instead of 96.

I initially thought the same thing, but are the Royals even trying to compete this year? While Pina is probably an upgrade on Martin Maldonado, is it enough for a bottom-dwelling team to give up anything of value for?

This was going to be my response. The Royals aren't going to give up anything worthwhile for Pina to lose 94 games instead of 96.

Perhaps... perhaps not. Pina is still under team control for a few years and may be a valuable trade asset. Nottingham might also fetch a good return from KC.

I think it wouldn't hurt to touch base with KC.

One of IF Nicky Lopez and LHP Austin Cox would be a nice return for Nottingham. Both would be a good return for Pina.

I think it is a decent question but probably wouldn't result in much of a return because the Royals are not competing. Would offer them Kratz for nothing as he won't be making the team barring injury. Give him a chance to play and work with their pitchers during Spring Training.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Grandal has started 100-113 games the last four seasons. Barring injuries, I don't see that changing a bunch. Let's say he starts 100 games. That leaves 60 for Manny. At 4 ABs a game, that's 240 ABs for the year. Add in some pinch hitting and he's looking at a 250+ ABs for the season. He's had about 300 each of the last two years - so that's not that much of a change for him.

I don't see the reason to get rid of Manny as his role won't change that much. We are looking at trying to win a World Series, and having quality depth will help us get there. Manny and Grandal give us an outstanding tandem - and I don't want it changed.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This just doesn't make any sense for either team....

The only way it makes even a little sense is if they really, and I mean REALLY like Kratz as the backup to Grandal. Because Pina is a substantially better hitter, defender and is 7 years younger than Kratz. Pina was arguably a top 10 catcher in all of baseball in 2017, and the only way I think they let him go is if another team values him like that. I doubt any do.

Verified Member
Now that Merrifield has nowhere to play for us, are there even any players on the Royals that we would want? Brad Keller is interesting but the Royals are not going to give him up for an unnecessary catcher rental.

Honestly I think the only trade that makes some sense would involve the Brewers acquiring Perez in exchange for some "organizational depth" prospects, in anticipation of Grandal leaving next year.

+1

Love Perez, catching would remain a strength next three years.

Honestly I think the only trade that makes some sense would involve the Brewers acquiring Perez in exchange for some "organizational depth" prospects, in anticipation of Grandal leaving next year.

At which point you are deep into fantasyland.

At which point you are deep into fantasyland.

It's very unlikely, but maybe the Royals want to save some money and commit to a long-term rebuild. "Organizational depth" can mean a wide range of prospect quality, and they might be able to cobble something together.

More importantly, I mostly meant that it would make more sense from the Brewers' perspective than trading away Pina.

Archived