Brewer Fanatic

Primary Logo

brewmann04
I really question anyone that says they don't like the B&G. Like they're trying to be contrarian. If you don't like that I don't know what your appreciation for design/art can be. It's simply the most ingenious logo in any sport. I don't think any are even close. It was stupid of the team to ever move away from it.

I'd rather the Packers move away from 70s green and mustard yellow (I know it'll never happen) than to see the Brewers drop that logo.

I don't like it. Build something now instead of living in the past. If this team wasn't dog crap for 25 years, nobody would be as vocal about bringing the logo back but since it was the logo when the Brewers had their first (and basically only) success until recently, people seem attached to it. Cut the cord.

Good designs/logos are timeless. See Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Dodgers, Royals, Nationals, Mets, Cardinals, and Giants, to name a few.

I don't see using the ball and glove logo as a "hey the Brewers were good in 1982 so let's be like that again," but rather it's using a really cool and unique logo that should be readopted and then left alone.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really question anyone that says they don't like the B&G. Like they're trying to be contrarian. If you don't like that I don't know what your appreciation for design/art can be. It's simply the most ingenious logo in any sport. I don't think any are even close. It was stupid of the team to ever move away from it.

I'd rather the Packers move away from 70s green and mustard yellow (I know it'll never happen) than to see the Brewers drop that logo.

I don't like it. Build something now instead of living in the past. If this team wasn't dog crap for 25 years, nobody would be as vocal about bringing the logo back but since it was the logo when the Brewers had their first (and basically only) success until recently, people seem attached to it. Cut the cord.

I disagree. I'd love that logo whether they were trash or world beaters. Incorporating M and B together to form a ball and glove was an ingenious design and the fact that young/new fans still figure out the hidden meaning of the logo every year is cool. The Packers have an iconic logo and a rich history but that B&G logo blows it away in terms or ingenuity and creativity.

The logos since then have no personality. Just generic agency creations that I could make with 10 minutes in photoshop.

Celebrating the '82 team so often annoys me, but the logo doesn't. I never associated it with winning anyway.

I wasn't alive in the era you speak of and love the logo. So no, you are wrong. It also seems strange why it is considered one of the best logos ever by people that care nothing about the Brewers, present or past if your statement is right.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have a lot of friends around the country who are fans of other teams, and their appreciation of the Brewers' ball and glove logo is pretty much unanimous. It's a fantastic logo, period. They should've never gotten rid of it in the first place.

Yep. If they didn't switch to the hideous MB logo in 1994, it wouldn't be a "thing". But the mid-90s was when MLB merchandising was really starting to take off, and the Brewers were trying to capitalize. That logo was so, so bad, though.

This opinion is so tired. Placing everyone into one category because it fits your perspective about why people like it is incredibly narrow-minded.

False.

I don't like it because it has anything to do with the 82 team. The 82 team just happened to have that logo.

I love the logo because it's brilliant, and classic.

I'd be happy if they used it forever!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

100% not true for me. I think it's a great logo because I think it's a great logo. No connection to their W-L record at any point.

I also love the white with blue pinstripes, & agree with others about the road grays with script Milwaukee being awesome. I just think they had the logo & uniform look & feel nailed during those years.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I prefer the current "official" (primary) uniforms & logos, but I at least like the MB/ball-glove logo in navy. However, I HATE the yellow and would far prefer it be gold with the rest of the current color scheme.

I loved the ball-glove logo at the time and still do. Royal blue & yellow? To me it's still nearly as tired now as it was then. Leave those colors on the retro uniform, which is the only place I feel they belong. The yellow on the navy-yellow uniforms & caps is just obnoxious to me. . . . Other than the official navy-yellow ball-glove cap (which I bought because I always buy the official cap when a new one comes out), I won't buy any merchandise with the navy-yellow scheme. I really don't like it. But I'd buy ball-glove stuff if it were navy & gold.

The Motre Bame logo was a noble attempt that was ultimately not so ideal in its execution. Those uniforms & the then-new color scheme were super cool at the time, and the green as a trim color was fresh. Lots of teams also introduced new colors into their looks in that phase/era of new uniforms. . . . Folks now love to rip those uniforms. At the time (going into the '94 season), when so many other teams were modernizing their previously-dated looks, I was so glad the Brewers were finally doing the same -- and weren't last in doing so. Keep in mind that it was another decade or more before "retro" really started to become "in" -- NEW was everything to most teams.

I’ve always been a big fan of the Ball & Glove/MB logo and I think they did a good job of updating the logo by changing the blue to navy blue. There is nothing worse than the Brewers uniform change of 1994. I’ve never owned Brewers gear from those years and never will

I wasn’t alive in 1982, and have absolutely zero emotional connection to the 1982 team.

I like the ball-in-glove log because it is perfect, with a legitimate argument for the best logo in all of sports history.

Also because our other current logo is, at best...ok.

I am not Shea Vucinich

The Motre Bame logo was a noble attempt that was ultimately not so ideal in its execution.

zi5Kw.gif

Those uniforms & the then-new color scheme were super cool at the time,

NstnI.gif

and the green as a trim color was fresh.

r3XI1.gif

You're entitled to your opinions. Not everyone thinks the same way.

How old were you when those new uniforms were unveiled in January '94? How well do you remember the uniform trends happening at that time? Or are you young enough that your lens is only hindsight?

I was there at Brewers Fest (or whatever the name was at the time) when those uniforms were unveiled. Fan reaction was very positive. New merchandise was being sold very quickly.

I still loved the MB/ball-glove logo and I wasn't thrilled they were ditching it. But I liked what they came up with at the time. The '97 revisions were solid enough, toned down in terms of the design (size of the first & last letters on the front of the jersey; and the M was simplified on the cap), and pretty much removed the green except as a subtle trim color that wasn't really present on the jerseys anymore. The net of that seemed like change for change's sake and the results were fine even if a little bland.

How old were you when those new uniforms were unveiled in January '94? How well do you remember the uniform trends happening at that time? Or are you young enough that your lens is only hindsight?

I was there at Brewers Fest (or whatever the name was at the time) when those uniforms were unveiled. Fan reaction was very positive. New merchandise was being sold very quickly.

I still loved the MB/ball-glove logo and I wasn't thrilled they were ditching it. But I liked what they came up with at the time. The '97 revisions were solid enough, toned down in terms of the design (size of the first & last letters on the front of the jersey; and the M was simplified on the cap), and pretty much removed the green except as a subtle trim color that wasn't really present on the jerseys anymore. The net of that seemed like change for change's sake and the results were fine even if a little bland.

I remember that logo launch very well, and remember hating it. This is 100% anecdotal, but I also can't remember one person I knew that liked the new logo. That was a terrible decision by the franchise imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I was 24. I threw up in my mouth when those uni's were introduced. They were horrible then and now. I can honestly say I did not buy one single Brewers item with that logo. Not one. Hideous.

I am going to get torched for this, but I think the ball and glove logo is one of the most overrated logos in sports..

I apologize in advance for holding this minority opinion.

I think the M with the wheat is perfect. Leave it as is with the ball and glove sprinkled in in both navy and royal blue

I am going to get torched for this, but I think the ball and glove logo is one of the most overrated logos in sports..

I think the M with the wheat is perfect. Leave it as is with the ball and glove sprinkled in in both navy and royal blue

While I disagree with your opinion on the ball and glove logo, I agree to an extent with your opinion of the M with barley. If not for the existence of the ball and glove, I would be very content with the M with barley, as I have grown quite fond of it. My issue with the M with barley has always been the uniform and the script used that says "Brewers" or "Milwaukee" and the use of Times New Roman for the name/number font. The uniforms need a serious adjustment if the M with barley is to remain the primary logo in the future.

As a side note, I went to Friday's game between the Brewers and the Diamondbacks. What was speculated about the M with barley tarp being temporary was correct. Now there is a American Family Fields of Phoenix tarp at that location. Only question I have...Why the tarp?

D1aUBwyX4AA4Fgk?format=jpg&name=small

That's interesting they replaced a tarp with another tarp. Obviously that means the signage is temporary but why and what else would they put there?

It also probably gives you a little bit of a preview of what the new big league stadium logo will look like.

There's really no sense in me arguing this, but I don't understand how anybody can think this. You could put 1,000 designers in a room and none of them would ever think of creating a glove with a ball in it that has the initials of the team.

An M with barley under it is better than that? I just don't get it. That's run of the mill agency work. And I've always wondered if it was just another piece of their deal with Miller because it sure as hell looks like one.

There's just nothing special about their logo. You could probably show it to fans of other teams and they'd have to think whose it is.

As a side note, I went to Friday's game between the Brewers and the Diamondbacks. What was speculated about the M with barley tarp being temporary was correct. Now there is a American Family Fields of Phoenix tarp at that location. Only question I have...Why the tarp?

D1aUBwyX4AA4Fgk?format=jpg&name=small

I haven’t been there to confirm...but based on the previous pics it appears that is just the opposite side of the sign/tarp. So one side has the barley M, and one side has the AFFP logo.

Again...on a brand new sign/stadium, it would seem to suggest there’s something else underneath that they don’t want revealed yet. Or, as noted above, perhaps it was just a last minute update when the AmFam deal came together, and is a temporary solution for this spring until they can update the sign permanantly after Spring Training.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Just take notice at how much ball and glove logo merch is out. The Kohls by my house has probably 90% retro vs 10% new logo gear. Also, looking at the pics from the store in AZ, it looks like its all retro everything.

My kid's little league team last year was the Brewers. In Atlanta. The official, league-issued cap was the current logo, but the gear the coaches bought was all retro. None of them were Brewers fans, either.

Archived