Brewer Fanatic

Things to do at Spring Training?

ntretts
I’m going to Arizona for Spring Training the weekend of March 8. Anyone with prior experience there know good restaurants or things to do in the area? Also, any tips on how to get the most interaction with players? Thanks

Bobby Q BBQ- I have not been to a ton of places in Phoenix but I absolutely loved this place. Great food and uniqueness to the ambiance.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Bobby Q BBQ- I have not been to a ton of places in Phoenix but I absolutely loved this place. Great food and uniqueness to the ambiance.

YES!!! my goodness is this place good!

I haven't been in a number of years, but if I think about this place, I remember the smell when we walked through the door.

I’m going to Arizona for Spring Training the weekend of March 8. Anyone with prior experience there know good restaurants or things to do in the area? Also, any tips on how to get the most interaction with players? Thanks

I'll be there this same weekend making it 6 of the past 8yrs for me. The 4 minor league fields seem to be in the same place with the cages/mounds also in the same location just updated/upgraded. There's walking lanes on each side of the fields, essentially a massive cross if you're looking from an aerial view. If it all remains the same the players walk back and forth on these lanes so you can interact with them at that point in time while also literally standing next to a fence while the pitchers throw sessions and dudes take BP 10' from you. Autographs, balls, conversations all happen here. I always tell people if you're going there multiple days back to back ask one of the coaches what the schedule looks like the next day as, if they give it to you to browse, you can see times, which field which players are on, etc. Some of the MLB guys are always on the Minor League side getting work in so you won't just see Minor Leaguers. Try to get there 2-3hrs before game time (ie 10-11am) but they'll have a day off so you want to make sure you know which day that is so you're not showing up when nothing's happening.

No idea what type of restaurants you, and those you're going with, are interested in or what makes sense but Cafe Monarch is outstanding, Grimaldi's (same chain as in Brookfield) has several locations there but downtown Scottsdale is the best, Scottsdale Brewing Company, if you like frozen yogurt there's plenty of Yogurtland's around (way better than any places we have here). For breakfast - Butters, Breakfast Club, Alo Cafe are a few.

Now for my Breakfast Club story from ST 2017. Braun, Scooter, Garza, Bandy had breakfast there a couple hours before we did and their waitress knew this old man seated at the other end of this 10 person table we were sharing. This old guy had to have ties to the Brewers or MLB. She says the four of them were rehashing the story of a bet they made the first day of camp after they ran their sprints. Scooter didn't partake in the bet so it was Braun, Garza, Bandy. The bet was if Bandy didn't run from home to 1b in less than X seconds (can't recall what it was) over the course of the first full week of camp he'd owe Braun/Garza 10K each and if he ran it under that time they'd each pay him 10K. Bandy lost. So he went to the local currency exchange place and gave Braun 10K in shekels in a yamaka and gave Garza 10K in pesos in a sombrero. Good times.

Check out an ASU baseball game at night. It's NBA/NHL season (NHL arena is next to AZ Cardinals stadium and a nice area to check out - Westgate Entertainment District - and it's like 5min down the road from where the Dodgers/White Sox play). Can tour the Dbacks or Cardinals stadiums. There's a mini shopping/restaurant strip on ASU campus too you can check out...can even Kayak in the damn right there. Check out other spring training stadiums. Can go whitewater rafting 1.5-2hrs east of Scottsdale (it's around that ghost town area). Hike Camelback Mountain. There's a ton of stuff to do and the weather is usually awesome early-mid March.

Phoenix has a Lou Malnati's Pizzeria if you want authentic Chicago deep dish pizza. Suggest wearing Brewer gear there to annoy the many Cub fans.

I'd never go to Arizona without my golf clubs. Plenty of options at different price levels. Last year my brother and I teed off shortly after about 4 foursomes of Dodgers who were playing on their day off at a course in Buckeye. Saw Kershaw, Turner, Taylor and Pederson among others up close and personal, the day after I saw Kershaw and his teammates against the Brewers in Glendale. By the way, the guy at the desk there told me former Brewer Jim Slaton lives off the 10th fairway of that course and plays nearly every day. I was bummed I missed him.

Arizona native here, and Tucson resident.

Here are my general comments:

1. Go to as many games as possible.

I recommend visiting Maryvale and seeing a game there. Just make sure you get to the park about 2 hours before the game. There are fields located just south of the stadium. If you walk over there you will likely find either major league or minor leaguers working out. After the game, I wouldnt hang around Maryvale. Go eat dinner in Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe etc.

I also highly recommend seeing some road games. None of the current facilities in AZ are dumps at this point. However, the Cubs and Giants stadiums regularly sell out and tickets are through the roof.

2. Phoenix is a very big place. As a result, what you do likely depends on where you are staying. Golf is great. The Phoenix Zoo is wonderful if you are taking children(and it is central).

Let me know what area you are staying and I can give you some better ideas.

I’m staying in Tempe near the Phoenix airport and I’m going to 3 games. 2 at Maryvale and 1 against the Angels in Tempe.

The old ASU stadium is pretty nice but if you want shade you will want to sit on the 1B side.

If you are into the bar scene Mill is awesome. Downtown Phoenix isn't all that bad either if you want to go out at night can be cheaper than Mill and Scottsdale.

Some of my favorite restaurants in Tempe:

Cornish Pasty

Four Peaks If you go here get the Kilt Lifter beer.

Oreganos

Not in Tempe:

Phoenix Ale Brewery

If you are going to the Peoria Sports Complex my favorite restaurant

Abuelos

If you want to do something fun TopGolf is always fun.

TopGolf

I don't think he'll be worried about the shade. current forecasts show that we'll be in the 40s-low 60s for the next 2-3 weeks.

The first year we went there, I asked around about Hotels with indoor pools (which are hard to find in Phoenix) and a lot of the responses I received were "Why? Its Arizona. It will be hot and sunny". Not always true. First year we went I was worried my wife would never want to go again because of the cold and rainy weather that we experienced (not sure it got much warmer than 60 the entire week we were there). In Feb/March the temperature can be all over the place. We had some years where the temps stayed in the low 60's and others where every day seemed to be around 90. So don't just pack with the expectation that it will be pleasant and sunny. Check the forecast before you leave. Also, we always noticed that on cooler days, passing clouds while we were sitting out on the outfield berm made a huge difference. One minute it felt like 75 and then some clouds would pass over and it would feel like 60 (I'm guessing that is because of the low humidity).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I don't think he'll be worried about the shade. current forecasts show that we'll be in the 40s-low 60s for the next 2-3 weeks.

I hope not, it has been freezing in the morning waking up to 30 degree weather. Hopefully it will warm up but with the rain coming tomorrow I doubt that it will warm up all that much at least for this week.

On the bright side if anyone wants to do some skiing or snowboarding up in the mountains you will be able to do that. All of the ski resorts should be open until mid March this year. Another 2 feet of snow predicted for tomorrow up in Flagstaff.

On the bright side if anyone wants to do some skiing or snowboarding up in the mountains you will be able to do that. All of the ski resorts should be open until mid March this year. Another 2 feet of snow predicted for tomorrow up in Flagstaff.

I assure you that no one leaving Wisconsin for spring training will be found in Flagstaff to ski.

I assure you that no one leaving Wisconsin for spring training will be found in Flagstaff to ski.

I know many people who come from Wisconsin to ski as there are no mountains in Wisconsin just in case you haven't noticed.

I’m staying in Tempe near the Phoenix airport and I’m going to 3 games. 2 at Maryvale and 1 against the Angels in Tempe.

Excellent. I am very familiar with Tempe.

Here are my suggestions

#1. If you are willing to venture away from the hotel for breakfast I suggest you hit Matt's Big Breakfast, 400 E Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe, AZ 85281. Be sure to get there before 9:00 am. If not, you'e going to be dealing with a huge line. This place has excellent food and very reasonable prices.

#2. Hit up Tempe Marketplace on a Friday or Saturday night. 2000 E Rio Salado Pkwy, Tempe, AZ 85281. They have live music. There are also some great places to eat. I am a fan of the Thirsty Lion and Kabuki. There is also a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf located here if you are into coffee.

#3. The Desert Botanical Garden. If you are from the Midwest you will enjoy a trip to the Desert Botanical Garden. I recommend going in the daytime. However, if you will be going to baseball games, consider going at night and seeing Electric Desert, the really cool exhibit they have going on now. https://www.dbg.org/exhibits/electric-desert/2019-05-12/

#4. Golf. If you are into golf I recommend Rolling Hills Golf Course. Good course and good price. 1415 N Mill Ave, Tempe, AZ 85281

#5. Hit up Gilbert. Gilbert, AZ is a Phoenix hotspot right now, I recommend driving through Gilbert and eating at "The Perch." 232 S Wall St, Chandler, AZ 85225. Really cool brewhouse with tropical birds all over the place. Its a real unique place.

Go to a Brewers practice.... in the past on Brewers away game days, the team practiced in Maryvale from roughly 9-11(?). It was free to attend. A couple dozen people there. You stand/sit right next to the field... extremely fun up close. Talk to the players.

I hope not, it has been freezing in the morning waking up to 30 degree weather. Hopefully it will warm up but with the rain coming tomorrow I doubt that it will warm up all that much at least for this week.

The good news is that high temperatures will be pushing the mid 70s by next week. I'm hoping to see low 80s when we arrive on the 13th.

I know many people who come from Wisconsin to ski as there are no mountains in Wisconsin just in case you haven't noticed.

Apparently TPlush doesn’t understand you were talking about downhill skiing. Wisconsin has some hills, but that’s not skiing. That’s why every skier in Wisconsin goes to Colorado, Utah, etc for snow skiing. This would be a great week for it in AZ. One ironic thing about winter sports, I knew very few people in the Milwaukee area that played hockey, but AZ has a ton of youth leagues.

Apparently TPlush doesn’t understand you were talking about downhill skiing. Wisconsin has some hills, but that’s not skiing. That’s why every skier in Wisconsin goes to Colorado, Utah, etc for snow skiing. This would be a great week for it in AZ. One ironic thing about winter sports, I knew very few people in the Milwaukee area that played hockey, but AZ has a ton of youth leagues.

I think there are more indoor ice rinks around here than there are in the Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, and Sheboygan area combined. Surprisingly this is more of a hockey city than anything else but like baseball most of the hockey fans are Rangers, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, and Kings fans. At least I run into more Blackhawks and Leafs fans.

Why isn't anyone interested in the record breaking snowfall here in Arizona? You could go see 10 feet in the San Francisco peaks, 6 feet in the mountains here around Tucson, 8 feet in the white mountains.... why go to spring training? This winter has been a hoot in the west! Can Bill Hall pitch in a snowstorm?
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just returned after traveling around AZ and seeing two games. My trip report, feel free to mark for future reference:

Phoenix traffic is crazy. Closer to Chicago style vs Milwaukee style. I wasn't aware the PHO metro area is 2.5-3.0x the population of MKE.

We stayed in Chandler, the hotel prices weren't too insane. The surface roads there were six-lane boulevards, freshly paved and no pot holes. Easy to get around.

Plan to arrive at Am Fam Fields 90 minutes prior to first pitch. Approach from 51st Ave. If you arrive any later, save yourself some grief and just park in the neighborhood immediately to the east.

You are not allowed to enter the lot from 53rd Ave.

They practiced until 11:45 prior to 1:05 home games. Didn't see any big leaguers, but it was fun to listen to the banter between the instructor and players. Bunting practice was the most entertaining, followed by the AAA rotation taking batting practice.

The odd sections are on the first-base side. Sections 101-104 get most of the shade.

The concession stands are staffed by Grand Canyon University students.

Making small talk with a fan and he mentioned GCU has a hotel and restaurant run by Hospitality majors. Rooms about $100 a night.

Talking with a cousin at the game who lives in Sun City and she mentioned Peoria is a safe area to get a room. Of course, I find this out after the fact.

Didn't get a chance to visit any of the eating places mentioned upthread.

Sedona is nice to see, but too much like the Dells. A pain to get around.

If you go to Grand Canyon National Park, reserve a room at the Yavapai Lodge. That way you can just park your car and not leave campus. There is a dining hall across the road. Everything is within walking distance or a shuttle bus.

A solid five hour drive from the Grand Canyon to Chandler.

On edit: it's Ave, not St. Roads west of downtown are Avenues, east are Streets.

Interesting to hear the critique of Phoenix traffic. We really have about 1-1.5 hours of rush hour in the morning and 2-2.5 hours in the evening, but I find it easy to get around. Phoenix is—I believe—the 5th biggest metro area in the country, with over 5 million people. Our favorite time of year is May 1-nov 1, as all the snowbirds drive south and make our roads move slower, take all the restaurant reservations, etc during winter.

I intentionally avoid the area you stayed. The Chandler-Gilbert-Mesa area can be tougher on traffic. The 60 often turns into a parking lot. Glendale, Peoria, or Scottsdale are highly recommended for hotels on your next visit

As of 2017, PHX is 11th largest metro area. (I'm just a geek about that kind of thing.) I actually like the Chandler/Gilbert area a lot, we always stay there if not Scottsdale. Different strokes I guess, I just find Glendale/Peoria to be too generic suburbia USA.

I've always find traffic a breeze, it's easy to avoid rush hour when going to the games and getting around town. Just don't drive then, pretty simple.

Archived