Brewer Fanatic

Moose is back! [1 yr/$10mm guaranteed; $11mm mutual 2020 option -- post #186]

markedman5
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we'll need replacements for at minimum Grandal.

Hello Jacob Nottingham

They have a whole starting team at AAA that could possible make a MLB club! Not saying they will.

Nottingham C

Gatewood 1B

Huira 2B

Dubon SS

Ecreg 3B

Stokes OF

Ray OF

Grisham OF

hello 67 wins!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Good. The lineup is going to be very good. Spangenberg has an option.

I expect Thames to be on the team unless the market for 1b's suddenly improves dramatically for whatever reason. Aguilar didn't really prove he's a full-time player yet, despite his great first half. Thames and Aguilar is hedging your bets. Shaw is going to play 2b against RHPs, so there will be very few occasions to start him at 1b. Maybe against a team that hits a ton of ground balls?

Hernán Pérez is a fine utility player, but 50 times last year he started a game batting in the top 6 in the lineup. Exactly half of those were in the 1, 2, 4, and 5 spots (with the #5 spot being the majority of those starts). With the Moose signing it seems more likely that we should rarely see Pérez hit in the top two-thirds of the batting order.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

First we had the "Brewers signing Grandal is everything that is wrong with free agency" article, so naturally there is a follow up with the same argument after Moose agreed to terms:

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/2/17/18228655/mike-moustakass-brewers-royals-free-agency-middle-tier-revenue-offseason

Gruber Lawffices

First we had the "Brewers signing Grandal is everything that is wrong with free agency" article, so naturally there is a follow up with the same argument after Moose agreed to terms:

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/2/17/18228655/mike-moustakass-brewers-royals-free-agency-middle-tier-revenue-offseason

I wonder if he wrote a similar story after his beloved Royals signed Moose to that low-ball contract last year? At least the Brewers are paying him a much better market value.

Per Ken R.

“Moustakas rejected #Royals’ $17.4M qualifying offer in Nov. 2017. Earned $8.7M total in ‘18 - $6.5M guarantee, $2.2M in incentives. His one-year deal with #Brewers for reported $10M, per @BNightengale, will push two-year total to $18.7M before incentives - just above one-year QO.”

Thought this was interesting.

He should fire his agent...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

hello 67 wins!

And an average of 18 Ks a game! But dingers!!!

But we would have a good shot of taking 2 out of 3 with the Marlins.

Man, I dunno. We'd probably be much closer to the 47 win Orioles with that lineup. It would depend on if we kept our full pitching staff intact or not. Especially in our case because the Marlins may be the only team left in the NL that aren't trying to win this year.

There are a lot of guys on that list that could easily hit .190/.220/.340 type of slash lines.

One thing that sticks out to me is that like our "out getters" we can use our depth to our advantage. Whether it's platooning, playing the hot hand, injuries, or an unseen drop in effectiveness, the Brewers are covered in a lot ways. This signing, in my opinion, makes the team better. Gone are the days of 2013 where we trotted out the likes of Bianchi, Schafer and BF favorite Yuni because we had no other options.

One thing that sticks out to me is that like our "out getters" we can use our depth to our advantage. Whether it's platooning, playing the hot hand, injuries, or an unseen drop in effectiveness, the Brewers are covered in a lot ways. This signing, in my opinion, makes the team better. Gone are the days of 2013 where we trotted out the likes of Bianchi, Schafer and BF favorite Yuni because we had no other options.

Very true... they can put together a defense-first lineup that won't embarrass itself offensively if they feel the need.

They can go with an offense-focused lineup.

Want an OBP focus? They'll have a lineup for that.

One that will hit a lot of homers? They can have one for that, too. :)

Great article. Mid-tier free agents are getting screwed because they are not getting the 80 million dollar contracts that Mike Leake and Wei-Yin Chen just got a few years ago.

Since signing the contract, Leake has a 4.32 ERA, 3.96 FIP, 1.30 WHIP and 95 ERA+ and Chen has a 4.75 ERA, 4.38 FIP, 1.28 WHIP and 80 ERA+. Leake will probably be about a 1 bWAR/season player over the life of this contract and Chen could easily wind up in negative bWAR territory.

If anything this shows that MLB owners and GMs have stopped drinking the mid-tier free agent Kool-Aid with many of these players.

If the Brewers are signing free agents, the system must be broken!

What he doesn't mention is that Mous turned down a multi year deal from another team because he wanted to play for the Brewers.

In addition to obviously enjoying his time in Milwaukee last year, Moose probably sees the chance to put up the kind of numbers that might finally get him the multiyear deal he's gunning for...

ZiPS give a very bullish projection for Moustakas, .267/.324/.506, 3.2 WAR in large part because Miller is just about an ideal park. The two best projected stadiums for Moustakas are Miller and Yankee Stadium and he wasn't going to the Yankees.

What's the payroll at now?

Looks like its in the neigborhood of 125 million at this point.

I think the Brewers will be a little more active trying to shop Anderson and Thames now to try and get back down to the $115M neighborhood (until the next move).

Tom‏Verified account @Haudricourt 57s57 seconds ago

I consider this a hint as to where Mike Moustakas will play with #Brewers: Travis Shaw just said he expects to play third base.

They're really going to put Moose at 2B? :indifferent

interesting

Tom

Verified account

@Haudricourt

46s46 seconds ago

More

I consider this a hint as to where Mike Moustakas will play with #Brewers: Travis Shaw just said he expects to play third base.

Very interesting. Guess that means Moose is going to get the majority of the reps at 2B. Shaw probably has a little more range than Moose, but maybe not quite the throwing arm. Both are solid at the hot corner, and I have faith that Moose can pick up 2B. I know he was asked about it when the Brewers first traded for him last season, and he said he was open to it.

Shaw, with his 3 remaining years of team control, is the more long-term option. Makes a certain amount of sense to move the likely temporary option instead of the permanent one to another position. Perhaps that plays into it.

Shaw, with his 3 remaining years of team control, is the more long-term option. Makes a certain amount of sense to move the likely temporary option instead of the permanent one to another position. Perhaps that plays into it.

Furthermore, by learning second base, he boosts his value in the 2019-2020 offseason.

He has all spring training to learn.

My take is. Thames is a casualty and moved or just waived. Gamel makes his OF ability a non-factor and the combo of Shaw/Moose makes Perez the 5th OF in a pinch. One poster mentioned his PH stats below Mendoza line and that makes sense with his K-issues. I wouldn't save him to play the majority PH role. Perez has got to be the emergency SS right? So I'd probably expect him as a late inning Defensive replacement vs Starter, which honestly is how I see him. Shaw is right in that he should be the starting 3b. It'll be interesting how Moose transitions to 2b. Saying that kinda makes you wonder about the move. I almost have that this ensures depth for an Aguilar decline feeling. Turning to Shaw at 1b more often, and now you have 3b protected, with SS still covered with Perez.

Archived