1. Cain

2. Yelich

3. Braun

4. Shaw

5. Aguilar

6. Grandal

7. Moose

8. Arcia

If Arcia can just be around .250 they should have one of the top offenses in baseball.

As a side note...Thank you for owning this team Mark Attanasio. His commitment to winning in the smallest market in baseball is unreal.

The 7 spot is perfect for a low OBP, otherwise quality hitter. Higher up in the order and the low OBP is a problem.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least the lineups are pretty good, especially if Shaw is platooned:

(Showing 2016-2018 splits)

vs RHP

1. RF Yelich 145 wRC+

2. LF Braun 112 wRC+

3. 2B Shaw 120 wRC+

4. 1B Aguilar 120 wRC+

5. C Grandal 120 wRC+

6. CF Cain 104 wRC+

7. 3B Moustakas 120 wRC+

8. SS Arcia 70 wRC+

vs LHP

1. CF Cain 148 wRC+

2. RF Yelich 120 wRC+

3. LF Braun 135 wRC+

4. 1B Aguilar 136 wRC+

5. C Grandal 103 wRC+

6. 2B Perez 103 wRC+

7. 3B Moustakas 96 wRC+

8. SS Arcia 75 wRC+

Good luck trying to bring in RP to try to play the splits :laughing :laughing :laughing

Love the signing. Thames’ days are limited with Milwaukee now in my opinion. Moose will play mostly everyday at third. Shaw can fill in at third and start most games at second. Aguilar will be at first with Shaw getting some time there, Grandal, and even Braun if needed for a day or two.

This lineup is going to put up a lot of runs this season. Shaw and Braun should have better luck this season with balls in play and Arcia will definitely hit better this season than last. Getting Grandal to upgrade the catching position was a big get as well. Opening Day can’t get here soon enough!

Love the signing. Thames’ days are limited with Milwaukee now in my opinion.

For a team that is going to use its bullpen a lot, I love having Thames as a huge weapon vs. RHP on the bench. Moustakas helps with that too because now on days that Perez is starting we will have Shaw on the bench rather than Spangenberg.

And if a LHP is on the mound, there should always be one of Perez or Gamel on the bench (both roughly league average hitters vs LHP)

For a team that is going to use its bullpen a lot, I love having Thames as a huge weapon vs. RHP on the bench. Moustakas helps with that too because now on days that Perez is starting we will have Shaw on the bench rather than Spangenberg.

And if a LHP is on the mound, there should always be one of Perez or Gamel on the bench (both roughly league average hitters vs LHP)

I’ve never been a fan of Thames and stated last offseason that we should trade Thames and keep Choi, so I may be a little biased against him. He does have undeniable power, but K’s a lot more than I would like. He’s a first base only guy that really shouldn’t play another inning in the outfield. What would the bench look like in your opinion with him being part of the roster?

vs RHP

1. RF Yelich 145 wRC+

2. LF Braun 112 wRC+

3. 2B Shaw 120 wRC+

4. 1B Aguilar 120 wRC+

5. C Grandal 120 wRC+

6. CF Cain 104 wRC+

7. 3B Moustakas 120 wRC+

8. SS Arcia 70 wRC+

vs LHP

1. CF Cain 148 wRC+

2. RF Yelich 120 wRC+

3. LF Braun 135 wRC+

4. 1B Aguilar 136 wRC+

5. C Grandal 103 wRC+

6. 2B Perez 103 wRC+

7. 3B Moustakas 96 wRC+

8. SS Arcia 75 wRC+

Good luck trying to bring in RP to try to play the splits :laughing :laughing :laughing

Not to mention:

1B Thames 128 wRC+ vs. RHP

What an insane lineup. Now if they can just stretch that payroll a little further for Keuchel...

I’ve never been a fan of Thames and stated last offseason that we should trade Thames and keep Choi, so I may be a little biased against him. He does have undeniable power, but K’s a lot more than I would like. He’s a first base only guy that really shouldn’t play another inning in the outfield. What would the bench look like in your opinion with him being part of the roster?

I don't mind having Thames as a fifth outfielder, it's not like he should be seeing a lot of innings out there and imo he's not that horrible defensively. I would start the season with:

C Pina

IF Perez

IF Saladino

1B/OF Thames

OF Gamel

If they want to go with 13 pitchers, then Saladino seems more expendable than Thames. Perez can play all over the infield to give guys days off, and when he is starting at SS it's not like Shaw isn't still a decent option at 2B (in comparison to Spangenberg, who is literally unusable vs. LHP). In fact, I imagine Shaw will probably be the everyday starter.

Ya I’m not sold on this being the end of Thames either. I see Moustakas taking Spangenbergs roster spot to start the year.

Saladino and Spangenberg get optioned.

If they roll with 4 man bench it’s thames, gamel, Pérez, and Piña. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Them hang onto Kratz for as long as possible before having to DFA him.

I also feel that the Brewers are trying to keep their DH options open for 2020. Moose/Shaw/Thames/Braun could alll be used in that capacity (of course they'd need to resign some people), but they would be in very good position to play like an AL team.

Not to mention:

What an insane lineup. Now if they can just stretch that payroll a little further for Keuchel...

Also, not pictured:

2B Hiura 220 wRC+ vs. RHP, 220 wRC+ vs. LHP

I like the move for a variety of reasons. It gives more flexibility in the infield lineups. And Moose is a fiery guy who has won and knows how to win. The fact that he wanted to be in Milwaukee is great news. At one point he was linked to St. Louis. That would have bugged me big time. On a one year deal, the risk is minimal. Kudos to Mark A for spending the dough.

vs RHP

1. RF Yelich 145 wRC+

2. LF Braun 112 wRC+

3. 2B Shaw 120 wRC+

4. 1B Aguilar 120 wRC+

5. C Grandal 120 wRC+

6. CF Cain 104 wRC+

7. 3B Moustakas 120 wRC+

8. SS Arcia 70 wRC+

vs LHP

1. CF Cain 148 wRC+

2. RF Yelich 120 wRC+

3. LF Braun 135 wRC+

4. 1B Aguilar 136 wRC+

5. C Grandal 103 wRC+

6. 2B Perez 103 wRC+

7. 3B Moustakas 96 wRC+

8. SS Arcia 75 wRC+

Not to mention:

SRB, thanks for posting the lineups with three year wRC+ splits. I think this is a fine baseball move, and I don’t think the Brewers have ever had a better lineup against left handed pitchers. It is going to be a sight to behold.

I tend to think chemistry can be overblown at times, but I am a believer this move will enhance the clubhouse environment in 2019. It seems like part of this decision on the Brewers end was likely driven by the fact Moose fit so perfectly with his teammates in Milwaukee (and befriended Mark Attanasio’s son, apparently). It’s not like they overpaid to make it happen, but it seems like they were willing to go slightly against the grain of conventional thinking in order to make it work. I have a feeling if the Brewers go on to have a dream season, a lot of the credit when all is said and done is going to be given to this move.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don't mind having Thames as a fifth outfielder, it's not like he should be seeing a lot of innings out there and imo he's not that horrible defensively. I would start the season with:

C Pina

IF Perez

IF Saladino

1B/OF Thames

OF Gamel

If they want to go with 13 pitchers, then Saladino seems more expendable than Thames. Perez can play all over the infield to give guys days off, and when he is starting at SS it's not like Shaw isn't still a decent option at 2B (in comparison to Spangenberg, who is literally unusable vs. LHP). In fact, I imagine Shaw will probably be the everyday starter.

Is Thames worth keeping though as mostly a pinch hitter? Very small sample size, but he is 7/55 with a .127 average pinch hitting for his career. And looks completely lost while up there in those limited opportunities. He is mostly blocked at first with Aguilar, Shaw, Grandal, or even Moose getting time there if need be. In the outfield, Gamel is the 4th guy with Perez being the 5th outfield option.

I totally agree on the rest of the bench guys though. Perez, Gamel, and Pina are mostly locks. Comes down to if they want 12 or 13 pitchers on the roster to start the season.

The Brewers franchise record for HR is 231 set in 2007. I would not be surprised to see that record broken this season.

Not very scientific, but for fun :laughing

Showing career high HR in a season:

RF Yelich, 36 HR

LF Braun, 41 HR

2B Shaw, 32 HR

1B Aguilar, 35 HR

C Grandal, 27 HR

CF Cain, 16 HR

3B Moustakas, 38 HR

SS Arcia, 15 HR

(bench)

1B/OF Thames, 31 HR