Brewer Fanatic

MLB could buy Fox regional sports networks?

bork

How would this work for other sports? The Bucks pay MLB to broadcast their games? But then MLB has to negotiate with the cable and satellite companies. Do they have the bargaining power of a Fox or Disney?

How would this work for other sports? The Bucks pay MLB to broadcast their games? But then MLB has to negotiate with the cable and satellite companies. Do they have the bargaining power of a Fox or Disney?

Never even thought about the fact the networks broadcast more than just baseball games and how that would work. Slightly off topic but it always made sense to me for there to be a standalone Wisconsin sports network owned by the Brewers, Bucks, and Packers. I'd think it could survive just be showing replays of classic Packer games and other Packer related programming but add in the other teams and you've got year round programming. Maybe broadcast some Blizzard, Gamblers, Admirals, TRats, Snappers, and whatever other pro team games. I'd watch it.

it always made sense to me for there to be a standalone Wisconsin sports network owned by the Brewers, Bucks, and Packers. I'd think it could survive just be showing replays of classic Packer games and other Packer related programming but add in the other teams and you've got year round programming. Maybe broadcast some Blizzard, Gamblers, Admirals, TRats, Snappers, and whatever other pro team games. I'd watch it.

It could have pretty good success if they had some quality hunting/fishing shows on it along with all the sports stuff. That would make it a true Wisconsin channel that would appeal to a lot of people. Unfortunately there is always that cringy/weird golf lessons show on after games and other garbage. I don't think people would care for a bunch of replay games.

Never even thought about the fact the networks broadcast more than just baseball games and how that would work. Slightly off topic but it always made sense to me for there to be a standalone Wisconsin sports network owned by the Brewers, Bucks, and Packers. I'd think it could survive just be showing replays of classic Packer games and other Packer related programming but add in the other teams and you've got year round programming. Maybe broadcast some Blizzard, Gamblers, Admirals, TRats, Snappers, and whatever other pro team games. I'd watch it.

I don't think the Packers own their game footage. NFL might have something to say about that.

No, the Bucks already have a contract to broadcast their games on FSWI MLB would be buying that contract. MLB could then either broadcast those games or sell the contract to another party.

The Bucks don't have to pay for anything as they sold their rights to broadcast their games to FSWI.

What is likely happening is that MLB is bidding on the contracts to broadcast MLB games that were sold to the Fox Sports regional channels and will have someone bid with them to take on the other contracts.

Archived