Brewer Fanatic

The Saga Ends - Realmuto to the Phillies Official

KeithStone53151

I know Sanchez is highly ranked, but there's a ton of risk in that arm and he's still in the low minors. A ton of red flags. This package looks like much less than some of the packages discussed in the Realmuto thread. Notably Hiura has more value than the entire package by himself.

Sanchez is the big get here, but I personally don't see him as a much better prospect than Freddy Peralta. Stewart is a solid prospect who probably tops out as a mid-rotation starter. Alfaro is a solid young catcher. All in all, considering what the Marlins were asking for initially, this really is kind of underwhelming. The package they got from the Brewers for Yelich is MUCH better than this.

A similar Brewers package I think would be Peralta, Nottingham and Aaron Ashby. Alfaro is probably a bit ahead of Nottingham, with Ashby perhaps a bit ahead of Stewart.

Looks like a pretty risky trade for the Marlins. Alfaro strikes out a TON, but does have legit power at the catching position. Stewart has a long way to go to make an impact at the MLB level. Sixto Sanchez is a nice get for the Marlins. Overall a decent trade, but I thought they could of done better.

Looks like a pretty risky trade for the Marlins. Alfaro strikes out a TON, but does have legit power at the catching position. Stewart has a long way to go to make an impact at the MLB level. Sixto Sanchez is a nice get for the Marlins. Overall a decent trade, but I thought they could of done better.

Makes me wonder if the Brewers were ever engaged with the Marlins on Realmuto, pre-Grandal signing? I think I would have given up a Peralta/Ashby/Nottingham package and not looked back.

The package they got from the Brewers for Yelich is MUCH better than this

The Yelich package probably had twice as much value as this package, maybe more.

Well yeah, it was 5 years vs 2 years for players with not dissimilar production so twice as much value makes sense even if there are obviously other considerations in play too. But as a baseline it makes sense.

Alfaro is also probably being underrated by many. It's 5 years of team control for a catcher who has a 99 OPS+ (i.e far above average for a catcher) in his first 500 PAs,

The Yelich package probably had twice as much value as this package, maybe more.

Well yeah, it was 5 years vs 2 years for players with not dissimilar production so twice as much value makes sense even if there are obviously other considerations in play too. But as a baseline it makes sense.

Alfaro is also probably being underrated by many. It's 5 years of team control for a catcher who has a 99 OPS+ (i.e far above average for a catcher) in his first 500 PAs,

The reason we mention Yelich, in the rumors thread a significant number of people were expecting a return similar to Yelich. It was obvious from day 1 that Realmuto was never going to fetch that type of return.

I am glad the Brewers didnt trade for him (although that price is reasonable). I like JTR but the day he stops catching (whenever that ends up being) is the day he is a ho-hum player, and that has always been my fear, that the Brewers would trade for him and then to keep him healthy he plays a bunch of 1b or something. (not that he has a history of injuries, but he is a catcher for goodness sakes)

Makes me wonder if the Brewers were ever engaged with the Marlins on Realmuto, pre-Grandal signing? I think I would have given up a Peralta/Ashby/Nottingham package and not looked back.

I would think Stearns had conversations with the Marlins. The value in giving up 6 years of Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta for just 2 years of Realmuto was probably just too much. Plus, signing Grandal “only” costs money and we are able to keep all of our prospects. That’s the big thing. Grandal might not be the top catcher in the game, but he is definitely a top 3 catcher in baseball while keeping all of our minor league and major league talent.

Well, that settles it. Brewers-Phillies will be playing to go to the series this year.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm just glad he didn't go to the Cubs, Cards, Reds or Pirates.

Now we just have to dodge Harper or Machado joining a division rival.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Sanchez is the big get here, but I personally don't see him as a much better prospect than Freddy Peralta. Stewart is a solid prospect who probably tops out as a mid-rotation starter. Alfaro is a solid young catcher. All in all, considering what the Marlins were asking for initially, this really is kind of underwhelming. The package they got from the Brewers for Yelich is MUCH better than this.

A similar Brewers package I think would be Peralta, Nottingham and Aaron Ashby. Alfaro is probably a bit ahead of Nottingham, with Ashby perhaps a bit ahead of Stewart.

that seems like a similar package and I'd have done that trade. Not jonesing to trade Peralta or anything but you have to give something. All the crazy ones thrown out here I wouldn't have, but that seems reasonable. Plus you'd have some money available now to have signed a 2B/IF instead of C.

Well, that settles it. Brewers-Phillies will be playing to go to the series this year.

After they sign Machado and Harper....

And game 6 ends in Miller Park with Hader striking out Machado looking and Harper flailing!

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I would think Stearns had conversations with the Marlins. The value in giving up 6 years of Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta for just 2 years of Realmuto was probably just too much. Plus, signing Grandal “only” costs money and we are able to keep all of our prospects. That’s the big thing. Grandal might not be the top catcher in the game, but he is definitely a top 3 catcher in baseball while keeping all of our minor league and major league talent.

Grandal did also cost a 3rd-round pick in the 2019 draft. But at this point... Nottingham I could have been okay with dealing, but Ashby and Peralta... no.

Alfaro provides about 80-85% of the offense for league minimum. And he will likely get better.

Sanchez isn't a bad pickup... Stewart could really determine how this goes.

The Marlins have done an impressive job of disassembling a roster with several homegrown impact offensive players (Stanton, Ozuna, Yelich, Realmuto) with the distinct possibility of receiving what ultimately turns out to be zero true impact talent in return.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Marlins have done an impressive job of disassembling a roster with several homegrown impact offensive players (Stanton, Ozuna, Yelich, Realmuto) with the distinct possibility of receiving what ultimately turns out to be zero true impact talent in return.

yup, they should have ran it back. Tried to get some under the radar SPs who could fit well in that park and tried to win for a few years. They couldn't spend a lot due to the Stanton deal and some bad contracts but you had a great offense. Some forward thinking regarding pitching like how MKE has done it and they could have done well.

yup, they should have ran it back. Tried to get some under the radar SPs who could fit well in that park and tried to win for a few years. They couldn't spend a lot due to the Stanton deal and some bad contracts but you had a great offense. Some forward thinking regarding pitching like how MKE has done it and they could have done well.

It wasn’t that they couldn’t spend based on payroll. Their owner was a crook and milked every dollar out of that organization.

Archived