Brewer Fanatic

Big Game James

Looking forward to seeing if we can stress our bullpen for a full season...

Last year worked out well in the end, but can we sustain that for a full season, and back to back seasons?

I'm skeptical.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Last year worked out well in the end, but can we sustain that for a full season, and back to back seasons?

I'm skeptical.

Last year it worked out in September because the pen had plenty of reinforcements with expanded rosters. But there were several points during the regular season pre-September that the pen was gassed due to overuse. The team is lucky that it didn't come back to bite them in a bigger way.

I think for this team to sustain success, they are going to need solid extended starts. Counsell is always going to be a matchup guy prone to early hooks, but there isn't going to be piggybacking or any of that nonsense. At the end of the day, it's still baseball, and they are going to go into every game hoping the starter can go 6 strong.

I'm skeptical.

Last year it worked out in September because the pen had plenty of reinforcements with expanded rosters. But there were several points during the regular season pre-September that the pen was gassed due to overuse. The team is lucky that it didn't come back to bite them in a bigger way.

I think for this team to sustain success, they are going to need solid extended starts. Counsell is always going to be a matchup guy prone to early hooks, but there isn't going to be piggybacking or any of that nonsense. At the end of the day, it's still baseball, and they are going to go into every game hoping the starter can go 6 strong.

Here's the thing guys:

-We weren't graced with a Chris Sale or Kluber in our system in the past few years.

-We don't have the money to sign one.

-Trading for one is a major risk.

So...

-We are playing bullpen ball.

-It worked.

-There is risk involved. It absolutely could bite us this year.

-It is much better than the alternative of shaving 5+ games off your win total by trying to squeeze 115 pitches out of Davies every night or throwing James Shields in there to "eat innings."

And to make one more list:

-If the bullpen is gassed, they can push Davies or Burnes to 110 pitches for a game, especially if we luck out and have a lead.

-Here's the important part: Davies or Burnes is better in the 6th inning than James Shields is. So if it comes down to it, we have guys that are better than James Shields at doing it.

For a football metaphor, if you give Trent Richardson 300 carries and Alvin Kamara 150 carries, it doesn't mean that if by some reason you were forced to give Alvin Kamara 300 carries that Richardson would be superior at running the football because he's done it before.

• 1 month later...

Anderson is sketchy.

Nelson will need to build innings in AAA (I'd keep him in Biloxi because of weather).

Davies has not been good.

Burnes, Peralta and Woodruff are unproven and need to be limited.

Tomlin may be the #5 to start with to keep him around.

James Shields needs to be a Brewer!

No. No, they do don’t.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anderson is sketchy.

Nelson will need to build innings in AAA (I'd keep him in Biloxi because of weather).

Davies has not been good.

Tomlin may be the #5 to start with to keep him around.

James Shields needs to be a Brewer!

No on all 6 of your bullet points. Sorry.

No. No, they do don’t.

Agreed with Brew4U. Man if those 3 guys are unproven, what exactly does a guy have to do to become a proven talent? All 3 of those guys are probably in the top 5 of our most talented starting pitchers. All 3 probably won't break with the rotation due to other factors, but they probably all deserve it.

James Shields would be a silly signing. He's just not a good pitcher anymore. His best bet is to grind it out with a rebuilding club on a low $ deal and hope to have a good enough first half to get traded to a contender looking for depth.

No. No, they do don’t.

Agreed with Brew4U. Man if those 3 guys are unproven, what exactly does a guy have to do to become a proven talent? All 3 of those guys are probably in the top 5 of our most talented starting pitchers. All 3 probably won't break with the rotation due to other factors, but they probably all deserve it.

James Shields would be a silly signing. He's just not a good pitcher anymore. His best bet is to grind it out with a rebuilding club on a low $ deal and hope to have a good enough first half to get traded to a contender looking for depth.

Answer: Be an effective starter for at least one entire MLB season, which none of them have.

I don't want Shields, I want these 3 guys to be in the rotation. But let's not pretend they're proven.

Archived