Brewer Fanatic

Gio Gonzalez News

TURBO
I still hope we add Dallas but your right about finding a starter at the break

I’m hoping we don’t need a starter at this years deadline. Price gonna be half the farm for some of these guys. Too many buyers in NL this year in all likely hood.

Good point.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm growing more and more convinced as each day passes that the Brewers aren't going to add anyone else. The fact that they have already decided that a seemingly healthy (albeit a little behind schedule) Nelson isn't going to start the season on the active roster is proof that they like where their starting pitching depth is at. Even with Nelson starting the year in extended Spring Training or on a rehab assignment, they still have Chacin, Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta and possibly Tomlin to fight for 5 spots. Houser is either going to get a spot in the MLB pen or be in the rotation at San Antonio, so he's close as well. Then there's Derby and Brown who are next up. I wish one of those guys pitched with their left hand, but other than that, the depth is pretty dang good.

But guys like Kimbrel, Keuchel and Gonzalez gotta sign somewhere eventually, though, right?

I'm growing more and more convinced as each day passes that the Brewers aren't going to add anyone else. The fact that they have already decided that a seemingly healthy (albeit a little behind schedule) Nelson isn't going to start the season on the active roster is proof that they like where their starting pitching depth is at. Even with Nelson starting the year in extended Spring Training or on a rehab assignment, they still have Chacin, Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta and possibly Tomlin to fight for 5 spots. Houser is either going to get a spot in the MLB pen or be in the rotation at San Antonio, so he's close as well. Then there's Derby and Brown who are next up. I wish one of those guys pitched with their left hand, but other than that, the depth is pretty dang good.

But guys like Kimbrel, Keuchel and Gonzalez gotta sign somewhere eventually, though, right?

Right!! Agree with your assessment of brewers starting pitching. Just heard heyman say he thought Keuchel had some good offers and would sign soon but Kimbrel was in trouble. Signing Kimbrell would be the final piece.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Right!! Agree with your assessment of brewers starting pitching. Just heard heyman say he thought Keuchel had some good offers and would sign soon but Kimbrell was in trouble. Signing Kimbrell would be the final piece.

Relief depth is also very good, JJ or no JJ. Obviously Kimbrel would make it better, but I think they are fine there as-is. I wonder if there is some underlying reason Kimbrel hasn't signed anywhere yet? Something health related?

No JJ means we lose one of our three headed monster’s. I don’t think it’s going to be that easy to replace him, just slide another pitcher into a high leverage pressure situation. Kimbrel would give us that three headed monster back.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Yankees have made a contract offer to Gio Gonzalez, but "there's a gap" between the offer and what Gonzalez is requesting.

Heyman notes that while there's "not a great deal of optimism" at the moment, "there’s at least reason to think both sides might want to come together." Unfortunately for Gonzalez, he wouldn't seem to have much of a bargaining position at this point, as the 33-year-old is coming off a down season and hasn't seemed to attract much interest on the free agent market. The Yanks could use a rotation placeholder with Luis Severino (shoulder) and CC Sabathia (heart, knee) slated to begin the year on the injured list, although it's unclear how close Gonzalez is to being game-ready.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Mar 17, 2019, 11:18 AM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This makes almost no sense to me. Maybe he doesn't make the team and we add him when he opts out, but I thought he'd be a good fit here and for 3 million, a really-really good fit. Did he actually prefer to NOT come back and battle for a spot on the Yanks or were we just not willing to sign him to a guaranteed contract I wonder.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I still hope we add Dallas but your right about finding a starter at the break

I’m hoping we don’t need a starter at this years deadline. Price gonna be half the farm for some of these guys. Too many buyers in NL this year in all likely hood.

Isn't it juuuuust a bit early to be speculating on which teams are looking to add or subtract for the playoff run?

I get it's ST'ing and teams are optimistic, but the very guy we're talking about was a guy who was on a surefire contender last year, was a guy who likely would have gotten 20 million dollars if he was a FA last year and we ended up picking him up for nothing as a waiver trade.

There are always arms available. We're not talking about looking for another CC or Greinke....just a viable starter.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived