Brewer Fanatic

Gio Gonzalez News

TURBO
I don't see the down side of adding him .....

The downside would be that at 33 he does even worse than last year, and they still give him a bunch of starts waiting to see if he will come around.

If he performs like last year, then that’s a huge addition. Even slightly less would be good. Did you think he sucked as a Brewer?

No, I don't think he sucked as a Brewer. I also am not going to weigh those 25 innings near as much as the 145 innings he wasn't that good for Washington. Then you tack on another year to the arm......

My biggest fear is he sucks but you give him 10 starts to verify that he sucks. If he doesn't get too much guaranteed and he isn't given a lot of leash, I am all behind signing him.

I also would be worried that Counsell seemed very quick to pull the trigger on Gio, which is fine in September. But if he handles him that way to start the year, the bullpen is going to have that many more innings to pick up.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Tomlin pretty much flopping I don't see the harm here on a very team friendly deal. Maybe be the Miley of last season. Could be a good depth guy. That said, I don't what can be done with his contract situation to be able to go up and down

With Tomlin pretty much flopping I don't see the harm here on a very team friendly deal. Maybe be the Miley of last season. Could be a good depth guy. That said, I don't what can be done with his contract situation to be able to go up and down

umm, this is a little ridiculous. It's early in spring training. Everyone is allowed a couple spring mulligans. My view on spring training has evolved into I celebrate when guys thrive, I shrug my shoulders when they don't. I don't declare people done or a star based on a few innings or at bats.

Gio is a solid guy in my opinion...but I wouldn't expect much from him. He would obviously have a longer leash if resigned...wouldn't really have a choice. Guys cannot consistently get pulled in after 4-5 innings.

Probably a guy who will float an ERA around 4. Certainly a pretty nice thing to have in your rotation. I am pretty lukewarm on him coming back. If the price is pretty cheap it would be a pretty solid signing. He surely isn't going to be a massive needle mover at the same time though.

Gosh, Gonzalez is one year removed from a sub 3 ERA and 200 inning season. That followed a season when he posted a 4.57 ERA. You pitch long enough and you're going to have some up and down seasons. Look at the guys the Cubs are counting on. Lester posted years of 4.82 in 2012, and 4.33 in 2017. Hamels had a 4.72 ERA in Texas before he turned it around in Chicago. Gio's not been quite in their class for his career but he's been a quality lefty over an extended period and he's younger than either of those two. I think the young guys would benefit from having a veteran lefty in the rotation. The Brewers already have a surplus of starters and they'll have some work to do to get down to 5 or 6, but adding Gio at a reasonable price makes sense to me.

umm, this is a little ridiculous. It's early in spring training. Everyone is allowed a couple spring mulligans. My view on spring training has evolved into I celebrate when guys thrive, I shrug my shoulders when they don't. I don't declare people done or a star based on a few innings or at bats.

Tomlin is here on a look see basis. His leash is shorter than the guys he's competing against. He can't afford any more stumbles like his last start or he'll end up like Gallardo did last spring.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Tomlin is here on a look see basis. His leash is shorter than the guys he's competing against. He can't afford any more stumbles like his last start or he'll end up like Gallardo did last spring.

Miley had a game last spring when he was battered pretty hard, but was otherwise lights out. I would say Tomlin probably used up his mulligan, so the pressure is on now. The team also has more rotation depth than they did last year, and there's always a chance that they could still acquire Keuchel or Gonzalez, which would muddy the waters even more.

Yea of course Tomlin could still right the ship but so far it's been bad. He was essentially their one vet flyer this year, last year had a few. All I meant was well 'so far' that looks like it didn't work so maybe bringing in another could make sense. If that's ridiculous so be it.

My main hesitation with signing another starter is that I'd like our young guys to get a shot. At the same time, there are a ton of players with option years remaining in the rotation and bullpen, so noone necessarily needs to be traded or released to facilitate a signing. And as far as Gio goes, while he did have a bit of a down year, he wasn't bad. Looking merely at one seasons worth of ERA when trying to predict future run prevention isn't a good idea as it's a rather noisy stat. So looking under the hood a bit, it still shows a down year by his standard. cFIP was a league average 100 (89 for his career) which is the same as Chacin for instance, and DRA- of 93 (With an excellent 81 for his career). As a comparison, Chase Anderson has only had a DRA- under 110 once, and that was a 88 in 2017.

So basically the underlying metrics would suggest he had a down year, but was still at worst a league average pitcher and perhaps a bit better. So you then have to ask yourself if this was just a blip, or if this was the start of a 33-year old declining. The fact that the underlying metrics were mostly hurt by a lower K rate woud be a reason to worry. That his fastball velocity is down from his career numbers is another. But the velocity was the same as during his sub-3 ERA 200IP 2017 season, and the swinging strike rate was the highest its been in 4 years and still above his career average.

Only time will tell if he bounces back or not, and I wouldn't want to sign him to a big long-term deal. But if he can be had for something shorter, I'd take the chance. Or well, I would in a vacuum, I don't know how much salary room the Brewers have to play with at this point and I wouldn't want to exhaust the options at the deadline.

My main hesitation with signing another starter is that I'd like our young guys to get a shot. At the same time, there are a ton of players with option years remaining in the rotation and bullpen, so noone necessarily needs to be traded or released to facilitate a signing. And as far as Gio goes, while he did have a bit of a down year, he wasn't bad. Looking merely at one seasons worth of ERA when trying to predict future run prevention isn't a good idea as it's a rather noisy stat. So looking under the hood a bit, it still shows a down year by his standard. cFIP was a league average 100 (89 for his career) which is the same as Chacin for instance, and DRA- of 93 (With an excellent 81 for his career). As a comparison, Chase Anderson has only had a DRA- under 110 once, and that was a 88 in 2017.

So basically the underlying metrics would suggest he had a down year, but was still at worst a league average pitcher and perhaps a bit better. So you then have to ask yourself if this was just a blip, or if this was the start of a 33-year old declining. The fact that the underlying metrics were mostly hurt by a lower K rate woud be a reason to worry. That his fastball velocity is down from his career numbers is another. But the velocity was the same as during his sub-3 ERA 200IP 2017 season, and the swinging strike rate was the highest its been in 4 years and still above his career average.

Only time will tell if he bounces back or not, and I wouldn't want to sign him to a big long-term deal. But if he can be had for something shorter, I'd take the chance. Or well, I would in a vacuum, I don't know how much salary room the Brewers have to play with at this point and I wouldn't want to exhaust the options at the deadline.

I prefer Keuchel, but I believe we can use an above average lefty in our rotation. One of our big 3 young guns to the pen. I believe we have enough room payroll wise for this and trade deadline moves also.

Gosh, Gonzalez is one year removed from a sub 3 ERA and 200 inning season. That followed a season when he posted a 4.57 ERA. You pitch long enough and you're going to have some up and down seasons. Look at the guys the Cubs are counting on. Lester posted years of 4.82 in 2012, and 4.33 in 2017. Hamels had a 4.72 ERA in Texas before he turned it around in Chicago. Gio's not been quite in their class for his career but he's been a quality lefty over an extended period and he's younger than either of those two. I think the young guys would benefit from having a veteran lefty in the rotation. The Brewers already have a surplus of starters and they'll have some work to do to get down to 5 or 6, but adding Gio at a reasonable price makes sense to me.

This^^^^

This^^^^

Not to mention being one season removed from 6th in Cy Young voting. If you can get someone like that at a reasonable price, it's a no-brainer to me. I do understand and respect the argument that you don't want to stunt the growth of promising young starters, but those who say "yeah, well he only had 25 good innings" need to look a little closer at his history before being so dismissive.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Can we get Gio for one year, six million? I’d be for that if Keuchel isn’t going to happen.

That is the number I'd be shooting for now if I was his agent. But I also think that might even be a stretch.

I'd like to see the Brewers offer him a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal (but only if he is willing to pitch some innings out of the bullpen) and see if that would be the winning bid. An offer like that should at least be competitive.

Can we get Gio for one year, six million? I’d be for that if Keuchel isn’t going to happen.

That is the number I'd be shooting for now if I was his agent. But I also think that might even be a stretch.

I'd like to see the Brewers offer him a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal (but only if he is willing to pitch some innings out of the bullpen) and see if that would be the winning bid. An offer like that should at least be competitive.

Think 4-6 mil too low, but if you guys are right and we could get Gio for that we should have signed him yesterday. He’s an experienced above average left-handed pitcher that this team can really use in their rotation. Other than Kimbrell, I can’t think of a move that would help this team more. Woody and his 98 mph bullpen FB soften the blow of no Jeffress.

Think 4-6 mil too low, but if you guys are right and we could get Gio for that we should have signed him yesterday. He’s an experienced above average left-handed pitcher that this team can really use in their rotation. Other than Kimbrell, I can’t think of a move that would help this team more. Woody and his 98 mph bullpen FB soften the blow of no Jeffress.

I'd rather have brought back Miley for 5 million than spend that much or more on Gio.

I'd rather have brought back Miley for 5 million than spend that much or more on Gio.

We're on opposite sides of this fence on this one. An uncharacteristically decent 80 innings vs a really good career with a mostly off-year last season. It just seems like "what have you done for me lately?"

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

It would not hurt adding either Gio or Dallas into the rotation but think the Brewers are happy with their pitching as is.

It might hurt in 2 or 3 years adding Dallas...but I agree and you're right.

The Brewers can likely swing a trade for someone of Gio's value during the trade deadline if they're in need of a lefty starter or like they did with Gio, the waiver deadline.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I still hope we add Dallas but your right about finding a starter at the break

I’m hoping we don’t need a starter at this years deadline. Price gonna be half the farm for some of these guys. Too many buyers in NL this year in all likely hood.

Archived