Brewer Fanatic

Gio Gonzalez News

TURBO

Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Padres are showing interest in Gio Gonzalez.

The Padres have now been connected to J.T. Realmuto on the trade market and Manny Machado, Bryce Harper and Gio Gonzalez on the free agent market in recent days, as it appears general manager A.J. Preller is looking to take advantage of a stagnant market. Gonzalez is 33 and coming off a down season that saw him post a 4.21 ERA over 32 starts, but he could offer a little stability to a rotation that's lacking it. The only other club known to have interest in Gonzalez is the Mets, and Mike Puma of the New York Post says the club has "maintained dialogue" with the southpaw's camp.

Source: MLB.comFeb 1 - 8:27 AM

For the record, I have no interest in bringing him back. I don't think he is a difference maker, just a guy on a roster.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reading now that the Mets are sniffing around Gio...

deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Gonzalez and Matz

That's one heck of a rotation...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I don't think gio is what makes that rotation good. I think I could be the number 5 starter and it would still be a heck of a rotation

I don't think gio is what makes that rotation good. I think I could be the number 5 starter and it would still be a heck of a rotation

+1. I think it's weird that they'd want Gio unless they have no decent prospects or internal options. With that many established guys, that's a good situation to put in a young guy if you have one.

Or course he's not what makes it good. I didn't say that at all.

I guess that one's perspective on his value as a #4 or #5 in that rotation is entirely dependent upon what one thinks of him. In this forum, there are some people who seem to repeatedly want to hammer home the idea that he completely sucks, regardless of history. My perspective is that he's actually a pretty good pitcher and if he's your #4 or #5 then that's icing on the cake...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Brewers remain interested in free agent left-hander Gio Gonzalez.

Gonzalez finished last season strong with the Brewers after coming over from the Nationals, so it makes sense why they are keeping an eye on things. The Mets, Padres, Giants, and Athletics are among the other clubs who have been linked to the free agnt southpaw. Gonzalez is coming off a 4.21 ERA and 148/80 K/BB ratio over 171 innings in 2018.

Source: Bob Nightengale on TwitterFeb 5 - 1:08 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I have no interest in Gio other than a minor league deal. However, maybe Stearns thinks the Brewers defense will make into a better pitcher. Really small sample size but in 21 innings for the Brewers he had a BABIP of .182. With the Nats in 2018 it was over .300 and it sits around .300 for his career. Could just as well be noise too.

As long as the news doesn't involve the Brewers signing him, I'm good.

Are you just flat out opposed to signing him at all, or are you against signing him for what you believe he'd get?

Take out the two outliers, a .9 WAR season in 2015 and a 6.4 WAR season in 2017 and he's been about a 2.2-2.9 WAR pitcher for the last 5 years, prior to which he was significantly better.

As long as we could get him for less than 5 million, which, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'd rather try bringing 2-3 pitchers who were terrible, but could bounce back on minor league deals like we did with Miley and Yo last year.

And it would sure as heck beat giving Kuechel a 4-5 year deal.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 4 weeks later...

Gio certainly isn't a world beater, but he's a proven vet lefty that would come cheap. Isn't too far removed from a really good season as well. He wouldn't be my top choice, but if they are insistent of having a lefty in the rotation, they could do much worse.

+1

He’d also allow one of woodruff,Burnes or Peralta to pen again,giving us

Another dominant multi inning reliever.

I don't see the down side of adding him .....

The downside would be that at 33 he does even worse than last year, and they still give him a bunch of starts waiting to see if he will come around.

For even more downside, they could be paying him however many million that it takes to sign him.

And since you wanted downside, they could do all of that and lose out on a player that could help the team but they didn't have a roster spot for him.

I'm fine with signing him, if it is on the cheap and incentive laden and they don't give him too many chances to see if he has it or not.

The downside would be that at 33 he does even worse than last year, and they still give him a bunch of starts waiting to see if he will come around.

For even more downside, they could be paying him however many million that it takes to sign him.

And since you wanted downside, they could do all of that and lose out on a player that could help the team but they didn't have a roster spot for him.

I'm fine with signing him, if it is on the cheap and incentive laden and they don't give him too many chances to see if he has it or not.

Lose out on what player ? are you just thinking about potential cuts

If he performs like last year, then that’s a huge addition. Even slightly less would be good. Did you think he sucked as a Brewer?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If he performs like last year, then that’s a huge addition. Even slightly less would be good. Did you think he sucked as a Brewer?

He was actually extremely effective as a Brewer. Thought that needs to be taken with the caveat that he was regularly lifted at the first sign of trouble.

He was actually extremely effective as a Brewer. Thought that needs to be taken with the caveat that he was regularly lifted at the first sign of trouble.

This may have had something to do with the Brewers having an expanded roster for the month he was with them. I think the leash would be significantly longer if he were to be re-signed.

Had Gio not finished the year with the Brewers would anyone be bringing his name up? I kind of doubt it. I had posted somewhere that his BABIP plummeted (to the good) when he came here. Perhaps it was due to the Brewers advanced and talented defense, maybe it was just luck. Probably somewhere in between. Either way, there's some upside there but I'd rather just roll with the young guys than waste time and money on Gio.

Had Gio not finished the year with the Brewers would anyone be bringing his name up? I kind of doubt it. I had posted somewhere that his BABIP plummeted (to the good) when he came here. Perhaps it was due to the Brewers advanced and talented defense, maybe it was just luck. Probably somewhere in between. Either way, there's some upside there but I'd rather just roll with the young guys than waste time and money on Gio.

With regard to the first question, probably not as much...though we're brought up just about every available pitchers name, so, yes, I'm sure people would be bringing his name up, but he was with the Brewers, we have some familiarity with him and he performed well with us. And I'm sure people would still be interested given his track record. He's not just a guy who had a bad year with Washington last year and then pitched well for us. He's been one of the better #2-3 pitchers in baseball for a decade. If we can get him for cheap...why not? I like what Burnes, Peralta and Woodruff, but I would like to see a left hander that we can count on for 175 innings this year.

I do feel like people are expecting a bit too much from the young guys because of their dominance in limited exposure last year in the post-season when they dominated in shorter stretches. Add that to the question marks about Nelson, nobody knows what Anderson is going to give us this year, it's probably asking a lot to expect Chacin to pitch a full season like last year at the same level. I'd just like to see a little more coverage. And Gio gives us a lefty with some upside yet without having to go nuts like we would have with Kuechel. I'm sure we'll add a couple of starters anyway and we likely would have added Gio by now if he was willing to accept what the Brewers were offering. But maybe that changes as opening day approaches.

The Brewers should ask Gonzalez if he would be open to pitching out of the bullpen and, if so, he would be a great insurance addition. With Suter down, there are only two lefties on the 40-man roster which is a concern. Only lefty pitcher who was a non-roster invitee is Angel Perdomo who is a 24 year old that hasn't pitched above A ball and is scheduled to begin the season in Biloxi. With Torres-Costa down with injury, the other top ranking lefties (in terms of proximity to MLB) in the system are Brad Kuntz and Cameron Roegner. When it comes to lefty pitching, the Brewers only have Hader and Claudio and little else for 2019.

Plan would be to begin the season with Gonzalez in the rotation. He could stay there all year if he's pitching well and both Hader and Claudio are healthy. But if either of the relievers would go down with injury, it would be nice if the Brewers had the option to move Gonzalez to the bullpen. The big question is how Gonzalez would adjust since he's been a starter for so long. But over the last three years, lefties slashed .213/.271/.304/.575 and righties have slashed .252/.331/.402/.733 off Gonzalez. His background as a starter indicates he could be used as a multi-inning reliever, and the splits against lefties indicates he would be a good candidate to send out there against a tough left-handed bat later in the game.

Two years ago I probably would have said just save the money and if the Brewers need a lefty then go out and get one at the deadline. But with the way Counsell uses a bullpen, how long could the Brewers go with only one lefty reliever if Hader or Claudio ended up with a bulky elbow two weeks into the season? If Hader and Claudio both stay healthy the whole year, then I don't think the lefty aspect of the pitching staff is a concern at all. But if either of them get hurt, especially early, it could cause some trouble.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only lefties still out there that are even worth mentioning are Keuchel, Gonzalez and Jorge De La Rosa. De La Rosa did have a very respectable season in 2018, but he is much older (turns 38 in about a month) and IMO is a significant downgrade from Gonzalez.

It all comes down to if Gonzalez would be willing to pitch out of the bullpen. If so, I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers sign him to a one-year deal.

This may have had something to do with the Brewers having an expanded roster for the month he was with them. I think the leash would be significantly longer if he were to be re-signed.

Nothing would change. Gio had 5 starts the final month averaging 5 innings per start.

5.2 in 89 pitches

4.2 in 89

6 in 90

4 in 69 (3er)

5 in 74 (won 11-0 and guerra/lyles finished it so no reason to leave gio in)

Gio would be a good addition to the team in both the rotation or pen. Another experienced lefty who can help.

Nothing would change. Gio had 5 starts the final month averaging 5 innings per start.

5.2 in 89 pitches

4.2 in 89

6 in 90

4 in 69 (3er)

5 in 74 (won 11-0 and guerra/lyles finished it so no reason to leave gio in)

Gio would be a good addition to the team in both the rotation or pen. Another experienced lefty who can help.

+1

With Brewers brutal schedule in March,April and May,I want the strongest

Pitching staff as possible going into opening day.In my opinion Gio would

Help not only starting staff, but also allow Burnes,woody or peralta back to pen, making that stronger as well.

Archived