Brewer Fanatic

Free agent starting pitcher rebound candidates

I think it’s more short sighted if it’s the Brewers plan to try to catch “lighting in the bottle” two years in a row, personally.

They tried to do it twice alone last year with Miley and Gallardo. Yo clearly didnt work and we were no worse off for trying. Personally I love the idea of a forward thinking team, like the Brewers, throwing out past results for a player that wasn't being used properly and inputting their own data and development into a guy to make it work for them.

The Cubs just won out over the Brewers on the services of a 38 year old left-hander that throws 98 and hasn't played professional baseball in more than a decade. There are some really fascinating things going on with player development and only a handful of major league teams have fully embraced it. Sure a lot of these things dont turn out but I think the Brewers are in a really unique spot with depth at pitching to try and take on some projects.

Probably not the spot for this but a few of the guys I have been watching throughout the off-season for my own personal knowledge that I hope the Brewers take a shot on. Given a new direction in how to develop as a player might just be enough for some of these guys to flip the switch... or it's not and they get cut in spring training.

David Carpenter RH Relief

Adam Walker OF and Milwaukee HS Product

Don’t need any of them. None help us over what we have. Getting Nelson to regain form and Davies/Anderson to bounce are pretty much 3 FA rebound candidates. Only pitcher to look at is Kuechel or bring in a Kluber who makes us stronger.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Don’t need any of them. None help us over what we have. Getting Nelson to regain form and Davies/Anderson to bounce are pretty much 3 FA rebound candidates. Only pitcher to look at is Kuechel or bring in a Kluber who makes us stronger.

No one is advocating any of these guys replacing what we have. Miley was a depth signing last year that ended up pitching like a near ace. These would be depth signings as well. Not a lot of risk.

I never quite get why some fight these types of signings. Sheer numbers gives you better odds of finding good players. If MA has the resources to nab a few of these guys every off season in hopes we find our next Miley, we should all be on board with that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived