Brewer Fanatic

Wade Miley to Astros - 1 yr / $4.5m

That seems like a very reasonable deal for Miley. The Astros do a nice job stockpiling starting pitchers, I will be interested to see if he continues on his current trajectory of recent success while in Houston.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Huh. Thought the Brewers would have more interest at that price, but can't blame them for believing in their young guys. Miley threw a ton of cutters last year and I'm under the impression that can wear out a pitcher's arm. Maybe the Brewers think he sold his arm out for one more payday and won't be as good next year.

If we don’t sign anyone else, does that lead us back to those saying we might be tapped out to start the season budget wise? I mean, this seems like pretty good value.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Haudricourt says he didn't show interest in returning......sometimes it's easier to go to another team on the cheap then re-sign with the team you were with.

I think you may have that backwards.

“There will be no return of Wade Miley to #Brewers, who I hear never showed interest in re-signing him.” per TH twitter.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Kuechel will be a Brewer, Brave, or Astro.... hopefully the Brewers. Every rotation needs lefties. With Miley gone, Suter out over half of season, and no other SPs who are lefty.... Kuechel or at least Gio should be added. Too bad value on Davies & Anderson are down, would be nice to bring in some more prospects to continue to reload farm.

Kuechel

Chacin

Nelson

Burnes

Woodruff/ Peralta

That’d be a solid rotation

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Hats off to Miley for the job he did last year, but I just think there is too much data that suggests he won't be nearly as effective in 2019.

I think this team could still use a lefty swingman just because there are only 2 lefties on the 40 man (not counting Suter because of injury). I haven't been happy with all the moves Stearns had made this off-season (Santana trade), but overall I think this is a really fine looking roster. Completely happy with the way the rotation currently sits.

Miley gave the brewers 80 major league innings during the 2018 regular season. He was great in the playoffs but also was given the quick hook to avoid the 3rd time through a batting order.

Bummer he didn't come back but at that price, I think the reason he's not is because the brewers are shooting for someone much better that can potentially give them twice as many innings in 2019, if not more. You can't sign everyone

If we don’t sign anyone else, does that lead us back to those saying we might be tapped out to start the season budget wise? I mean, this seems like pretty good value.

No, I don't feel that way. I feel that one of the following is true 1) Miley preferred Houston over Milwaukee if the money is the same, or 2) The Brewers, in their evaluation of Miley, don't see 1/4.5M as a great value for Miley like we do. Miley did a heck of a job for us last year but who knows what our deeper analytics thought.

I think we'll still spend elsewhere, but if not I don't think it confirms that we're tapped out, just confirms we didn't find another value we liked.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that Stearns has always valued our existing rotation more than outsiders, and outsiders generally hated our rotation going into 2018. Even if we went into 2019 with no additional starters, guys like Nelson, Burnes and Peralta weren't options for our opening rotation last year, so we're already in a better spot.

Miley was great for the Brewers last year. But a big part of being an important member of a rotation for a World Series-contending team is durability, and at Miley's age, the chances of him avoiding injury aren't going to increase. Heck, he already missed a huge chunk of the 2018 season. I'm guessing his durability is a big reason why he isn't back this year.

I'd like to think that the Brewers are in on Keuchel.

I think they are excited about Burnes, Peralta & Chacin, and have optimism about the rest of the "out getters." Keuchel would be a great addition though.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well, I figured Miley was a likely candidate to return - especially if his price wasn't too hefty (which it wasn't).

I thought he'd get $7-8M - maybe even a two-year deal. I guess teams are skeptical, which I can't blame them. Still, at the price, he is a good deal. And Miley is from Louisiana, went to college there, so he's a lot closer to home, which might mean something to him.

My next guess is that the Crew are looking for someone better, which might mean they are going for Keuchel. Or perhaps they want Gio instead of Miley.

In the end, they might just wait to see if something good falls to them - and if not go into spring training with what they have.

Archived