Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

anglotiger
Even if it is just a little soreness this is bad...very bad. Coming off a injury, he has had months upon months to rehab, and he still has soreness? That usually is a recipe for disaster...just not good.

It's not good news but I don't think it's very bad at this point. There is a difference between rehab and regular spring training workouts. A setback in rehab usually means something is still wrong or not as far along as they hoped. Arm fatigue or soreness is relatively common in spring even for players not coming off surgery. Someone coming off a year not pitching is bound to have more of that sort if thing. My guess before this was he was going to need more than just spring training to get all the way back to pitching shape and this just reinforces that. My hope is, and always was, to get him back full strength in May but wouldn't be surprised if it was June or so.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like some I hope for the best but expect the worst. What I really want to know though is, what is the track record of similar injuries? Given the extensive nature of the damage I remain doubtful; I’d be overly cautious and severely limit innings and days between starts. Maybe the injury makes him a better candidate for the bullpen? Could he pitch a single three inning stint once a week? Would this justify him taking up a roster spot? So many questions that only Jimmy’s shoulder can answer. Crossing my fingers.

Like some I hope for the best but expect the worst. What I really want to know though is, what is the track record of similar injuries? Given the extensive nature of the damage I remain doubtful; I’d be overly cautious and severely limit innings and days between starts. Maybe the injury makes him a better candidate for the bullpen? Could he pitch a single three inning stint once a week? Would this justify him taking up a roster spot? So many questions that only Jimmy’s shoulder can answer. Crossing my fingers.

I'm curious...

Does this qualify as an intersting story?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm curious...

Does this qualify as an intersting story?

Yeah I think so. I can’t remember the Brewers trying something this long term with an uninjured player before. He’s no rehabbing,he’s not testing out something previous like shoulder injury or some such thing. It’s seems like they’re attacking the whole body, rebuilding it if you will. That is interesting.

They probably told him if he feels anything weird or out of the ordinary no matter how small to let them know. Guessing this is just them being overly cautious.

We can hope.

That said, I think the best choice is to use one of those option years he has. If he can rehab on an option year, great.

Between our starting pitching depth & the overwhelming likelihood something like this would happen at some point, I'm not really concerned.

I agree with this. I would absolutely love to see Nelson come back and be effective, but this team was one game from the World Series employing a rotation without Nelson, and other than losing Miley (and Gio I guess) they are returning largely the same staff, but with young guys like Woodruff, Burnes and Peralta primed to take a step. If you would have told me last March that Davies would be hurt for a big portion of the year, Anderson would give up 30 bombs and Nelson wouldn't throw a pitch in 2018, I would have predicted maybe 70 wins. Those guys were easily #1-3 on the upstart 2017 team. Getting Nelson back would be terrific, but even if it doesn't happen, this team is still a World Series contender.

Now why in the heck couldn't Stearns just say that yesterday? Doom and gloom could have been avoided.

Yes, but I'm sure some people are now worried that Nelson's 2017 shoulder injury has led to him losing the ability to pitch in cleats, and it's a sign of an extended DL stint or minor league assignment to Helena to remember how to walk...he should have just retired in September 2017

Stearns/CC probably didn't specify because I think they have a sense of humor and enjoy the ill-informed speculation...plus it's great having someone stumbling off a mound being the most significant injury story thus far in camp

Now why in the heck couldn't Stearns just say that yesterday? Doom and gloom could have been avoided.

Wow, nothing like how it was described yesterday. Kind of strange that wouldn't have been mentioned.

Only thing I can figure is that baseball fans have been conditioned into thinking that forearm strain = surefire Tommy John surgery.

Still, hopefully this ends of reeking of much ado about nothing.

Only thing I can figure is that baseball fans have been conditioned into thinking that forearm strain = surefire Tommy John surgery.

Well, Brent Suter went to the DL for a forearm strain... which later turned into a Tommy John...

Spring training soreness and discomfort as guys start to get back into a routine is very common both among perfectly healthy players and those returning from injury. This is a big nothing burger.

They are obviously erring on the extreme conservative side with Nelson, as they should.

Well, Brent Suter went to the DL for a forearm strain... which later turned into a Tommy John...

And sometimes (often) a forearm strain is just a forearm strain.

Both he & CC said it was absolutely nothing to worry about, & not an injury update. They said they wouldn't have had anything to report or say about it if they weren't asked directly about JN's status.

The doom & gloom was mostly self inflicted by fans. I get being skeptical of injury reports (I am myself a lot of the time), but this was one that they went out of their way to clarify as a non-issue.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It will have been 18 months since his surgery by opening day. They've said since the season ended that he was ready for normal offseason work I don't think it's overly optimistic to expect him to be able to pitch on opening day. I'm doubt that he'd be publicly talking about being the opening day starter if he wasn't throwing like he was over the winters before the injury. The question will be if he can ramp it up for the season. Nobody throws mid 90's stuff in January workouts. It's a process.

THIS^^

I don’t think jimmy would talk as confidently as he has about starting opening day and being better than 2017 if he didn’t feel at least as good as he ever has

I’ll believe it when I see it. Remember when reports were that he was ahead of schedule and may be back by June....2018

That was just ridiculous speculation. Looking at past news reports, he was reported as being 'on schedule' in May 2018 which basically meant 2019 unless there was some sort of miracle. Then progress plateaued in the summer and he was officially declared out in August.

After such a long rehab his comments are the best you can hope for. Nobody is going to expect him to be a #1 starter this year but I admire his confidence.

That was coming from the Brewers organization. Not June per say, but that he may be ready as soon as before the ASB up until they shut him down and sent him back out when he took that two week break in May or whenever last year.

The most optimistic timetable comments I remember hearing from the Brewers was relatively early on, that he wouldn't be back before June. Basically that the very best case scenario was June, and with a rehab assignment probably closer to July.

Archived