Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

anglotiger
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don’t get stamina by going to the bullpen.

Agree.

But they can’t keep starting him if he keeps losing it after 50 pitches.

Then AAA he goes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yep, Nelson hit 5 years service time on Wednesday at least as reported by another poster. They are in a pickle with him now.

I haven’t seen a single source that shows that he’s at 5-years service time. I’ve seen 4.1 a lot though.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yep, Nelson hit 5 years service time on Wednesday at least as reported by another poster. They are in a pickle with him now.

I haven’t seen a single source that shows that he’s at 5-years service time. I’ve seen 4.1 a lot though.

In MLB 172 days is a service year. Per Baseball Reference Nelson came into the season with 4.107 for service time which is 4 years + 107 days leaving him 65 days shy of a service year.

Nelson began the season on the IL which still counts toward service time, and he was finally activated and optioned on May 24th which was the 58th day of the season, giving him 4.165 in service time, leaving him 7 days shy of 5 seasons.

He was called up on again on June 5th, and remained up since, giving him 4 years + 172 days on Tuesday, June 11th, or 5 complete seasons.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nelsoji02.shtml

4.107 to start the season, 1 "full year" is 172 days. I can't be bothered to count now, but it sounds about right that Wednesday would have been 65 days on the DL and the major league roster since the start of the year. I.e the rehab assignment time counts, but the time optioned for that last start does not.

He is a liability to a division leader. Never really showed much at aaa or now in his two starts that hes worthy of a starting gig. Results need to start mattering with the likes of him, Aguilar and Shaw. Can’t keep trotting them out there and not getting production. Not sure what the answer is, but my eyes tell me Jimmy ain’t it, at least right now. Bummer for him to put in so much time for these results.

Between Hiura and Nelson, roster management has been a little puzzling lately. I don't know what they can really do. Nelson to the pen probably makes the most sense to me. You can't trot him out there every 5 days to hit a wall at 50 pitches.

I’d option/DFA him either way. He’s not worth a darn to our team with what he is currently. If some other team wants to put him out there bring a shell of his former self, so be it. Guess we have one less ace in our system.

You'd think he would be a pretty easy case to find an excuse to IL him.

DFA would be a real tough pill to swallow this early after investing all this waiting and tendering him twice to keep his rights. I'd at least try him in the pen first.

Am I right in thinking he can be optioned but he has to agree to it? If so I wonder if he might consider it if he continues to struggle.

Yes, that is true. I don't know how common that is or if it is something that is highly discouraged by the MLBPA. I wouldn't count on it, anyway.

Maybe you can come in and say accept the option or you're going to be DFAed. He still gets his full salary either way. I don't know exactly how all that would go.

We gotta wait on this. Dude hasn't played MLB in two years. This is pretty much exactly what I expected. I won't even think about re-evaluating until he's thrown 5 games.

That's kind of the problem though, isn't it? We could have done this evaluating more in the minors when it wouldn't hurt the MLB team, now that's not an option.

That's what I don't get. At the time I assumed the results were more due to him working on certain things regardless of the outcome and they saw enough of what they wanted him to work on to think he was ready. Now it's pretty obvious that wasn't the case, so why not leave him there? Or they totally misread what they thought they saw.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

That's what I don't get. At the time I assumed the results were more due to him working on certain things regardless of the outcome and they saw enough of what they wanted him to work on to think he was ready. Now it's pretty obvious that wasn't the case, so why not leave him there? Or they totally misread what they thought they saw.

How long was the Nelson rehab??

I do not recall the number of days it was for Nelson, but pitchers only get a 30 day rehab assignment (in order to prevent teams from stashing otherwise healthy players in the minors all season)..

How long was the Nelson rehab??

I do not recall the number of days it was for Nelson, but pitchers only get a 30 day rehab assignment (in order to prevent teams from stashing otherwise healthy players in the minors all season)..

Pitchers recovering from TJ May get a 60 day rehab. One would think Nelson’s surgery would qualify him.

Nelson was considered a healthy optioned player as of May 24th. He could have spent the rest of the season down in San Antonio at the time if we has desired, the rehab timelines had no bearing on his assignment to San Antonio.

I’d option/DFA him either way. He’s not worth a darn to our team with what he is currently. If some other team wants to put him out there bring a shell of his former self, so be it. Guess we have one less ace in our system.

Instead of having him help another teams bullpen, I’d like him to help ours.

They need to put him in the bullpen ASAP. With the dramatic loss of velo/command at 50-60 pitches he can’t continue as a starter right now. Bullpen is a different story, his stuff will play up, FB to 94 or 95, and his slider and curve are already K pitches.

Sending him to the IL would be pretty easy with how he declines really fast at ~50 pitches. Arm fatigue or whatever they typically call it is pretty relevant in his situation.

That or the bullpen...another possible option.

Him agreeing to an option...yah, that won’t be happening.

Sending him to the IL would be pretty easy with how he declines really fast at ~50 pitches. Arm fatigue or whatever they typically call it is pretty relevant in his situation.

That or the bullpen...another possible option.

Him agreeing to an option...yah, that won’t be happening.

I don't think he'd do it but if the choice is bullpen for the remainder of the season and perhaps forever or go down to AAA see if the stamina problems can be worked through then be a starter again he might opt for the latter. A lot of it depends on how he feels about a move to the pen and how long they expect him to stay there.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived