Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

anglotiger
We’re talking service time? Service time?

Wow, if I’m jimmy, I’m angry. Back to wasting good quality pitches on inferior competition, just because the crew doesn’t want to tell Chacín or Anderson their going to the pen for the betterment of the pitching staff. I was wanting the crew to potentially sign jimmy to a 2 or 3 year extension this offseason, that probably just got a little more difficult to do.

Anderson couldn’t get thru 5, Chacín the same, what am I missing here?

A lot.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, if I’m jimmy, I’m angry. Back to wasting good quality pitches on inferior competition, just because the crew doesn’t want to tell Chacín or Anderson their going to the pen for the betterment of the pitching staff. I was wanting the crew to potentially sign jimmy to a 2 or 3 year extension this offseason, that probably just got a little more difficult to do.

A lot.

Feel better?

A lot.

Feel better?

Yes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sadly Jimmy doesn't look the same to me (on tv) and at the game I saw him at live in Phoenix. He is lucky he is in a business where the odds are after the shoulder injury his career was pretty much over and the Brewers still gave him almost 8M to attempt a comeback the last two years. They are also letting him travel back and forth to be with his wife instead of staying with the team in San Antonio. I don't think he has any real reason to be "angry". Perhaps disappointed but he hasn't pitched well enough where it was a clear cut decision.

Is there any service time manipulation reasons for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. It was pointed out he'd have to sit just about remainder of season to gain any status on the service clock. I think some of the off days at this moment made sending him down make sense. Give him a start or 2 on schedule, and gain knowledge who he will replace. Anderson/Gio/Chacin. Id personally give him Gio's spot and use Gio in the Bullpen.

Verified Member
Nelson has pitched a grand total of 19.0 IP in real games over the last two years. Keeping him in the minors a little longer has nothing to do with service time or him not being good enough to push Anderson back to the bullpen.

I disagree, as has been noted many times he is very close to 5 years so it does play a part. The Brewers have to be comfortable he is ready to be a major League contributer because if they bring him up and he is not ready then they have to release him. He is a long time Brewer but they are also trying to win games and make the playoffs.

I am glad they aren’t rushing him into the rotation. Everyone sees his past or one exciting report/video and think he is 2017 Nelson ready to dominate. Reality is...probably night. Give him a little more time, be sure, and have him cemented I to that rotation. The last thing we needed is another unstable arm causing a ruckus on the staff after how the season started.

Nelson has pitched a grand total of 19.0 IP in real games over the last two years. Keeping him in the minors a little longer has nothing to do with service time or him not being good enough to push Anderson back to the bullpen.

I’ve softened my stance, and believe he’ll use this as motivation to pitch better in AAA and be up with the big club before the middle of June. We’ll know by then who needs to go to the pen.

I’ve softened my stance, and believe he’ll use this as motivation to pitch better in AAA and be up with the big club before the middle of June. We’ll know by then who needs to go to the pen.

I also believe, outside of injury to one the starters, that we’ll know Nelson will be closer to returning when he’s pitched on 4 days rest instead of the 5 that he’s on now. Can’t imagine they wouldn’t see how his arm recovers to the shorter rest time before promoting him to MKE.

I don't see Nelson as being the type of guy who needs any added motivation. I just hope he uses this to keep strengthening his arm so we can get him back healthy and strong. If those two things are in line, he'll only strengthen this rotation.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Thought I saw somewhere on twitter that his fastball is moving differently than it did pre-injury, which is making it not compliment the rest of his repertoire as well. I would imagine that that could be a big stumbling block to get over.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Confirmed by Brewers Twitter feed:

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And I’ll be there. Nice!

I'm super excited for Jimmy. Just getting through this season healthy will be a huge win.

Assuming he comes out of Wednesday's start ok... I wonder what they'll do with his next start. Do they let him pitch on normal rest @Houston or do they bounce his start back a couple days and give him game 1 @SF.

Personally, I kinda like the idea of giving him a little extra rest + the easier assignment @Sf and pitching Davies and Woody on normal rest @Houston.

I'm super excited for Jimmy. Just getting through this season healthy will be a huge win.

Assuming he comes out of Wednesday's start ok... I wonder what they'll do with his next start. Do they let him pitch on normal rest @Houston or do they bounce his start back a couple days and give him game 1 @SF.

Personally, I kinda like the idea of giving him a little extra rest + the easier assignment @Sf and pitching Davies and Woody on normal rest @Houston.

That’s the question in my mind, when does jimmy go back to 4 rest days?

Every time I try to predict what the crew will do I’m wrong so I won’t this time either.

the offdays sprinkled throughout June for the Brewers really give them some flexibility on easing Nelson into a normal rest schedule if they want or feel he needs it. I'm just pumped to see him back on the MLB hill this wednesday!

I'm especially glad to see him breaking in against a AAA team

Which means he gets slammed and our offense musters a few solo homers at best, right?

I am keeping my mood calm. I wish him luck and hope he can do well tomorrow and the rest of the year. But coming back from injury is hard enough. Let alone a major injury where he was gone this long and had such a lengthy rehab.

Archived