Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

anglotiger
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more rehab start on the 28th and away we go.

Stearns said yesterday morning that last night was his final rehab start, that they would huddle today and decide what to do with jimmy. Reading between the lines, maybe some in the organization think bullpen, others, the rotation. I believe it’s the rotation, with Chacín or Anderson to the pen. maybe they want to see Anderson start one more time before they decide who to the pen?

Is it gonna be tue night in Minnesota or Thur in Pittsburgh?

advantage to tuesday: he doesn't have to hit or run the bases in minneapolis. given that his injury occurred after putting the ball in play, the club should give him a bye on that aspect of the game and just allow him to focus on his pitching.

also, allows the club to boost his confidence and give him a longer leash by not having to pull him for a pinch hitter because of a scoring opportunity.

If they opt to start Nelson Tuesday they should just put Chacin or Anderson in the bullpen starting today and move everybody up a day since they have had all these off days. Could afford to bring up another position player and dropping a pitcher the next few games too.

One more rehab start on the 28th and away we go.

Stearns said yesterday morning that last night was his final rehab start, that they would huddle today and decide what to do with jimmy. Reading between the lines, maybe some in the organization think bullpen, others, the rotation. I believe it’s the rotation, with Chacín or Anderson to the pen. maybe they want to see Anderson start one more time before they decide who to the pen?

CC said it will be in the rotation when he is ready...........they want him to be in a routine.

Jimmy optioned to AAA

That's interesting. Don't know who he replaces in the current rotation that makes a whole lot of sense. Not a bad move to delay that decision by at least another 10 days.

Is there any service time manipulation reasons for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's close but looks like in about a week they wouldn't have been able to option Nelson. Once he is up he will likely be up for good.

After reading the comments of Counsell with regards to Nelson, not happy that one of the reasons given to optioning Jimmy was they didn’t want to disturb the rotation. Whatever with that, hold back a pitcher that can help improve the rotation, just because you can’t tell Chacín or Anderson your going to the pen to help improve the overall pitching staff.

Chacín should give way to Jimmy, he’s pitched poorly this year, and the fact he’s still in the rotation and Jimmy’s not is disturbing.

I'm disappointed but not shocked by this move. It just seems like Nelson has reached the sink or swim phase, there is a time where he is going to have to face MLB hitters and it seems pretty pointless at this juncture to have him continue to work in AAA. If they called him up now and he got shelled in his first two/three starts, then they could have optioned him a few weeks from now as he is still about 65 days away from reaching 5 years of service time.

Chacin has been pretty good his last four times out and IMO should stay in the rotation based on that. I would have brought up Nelson, stuck in him the rotation and bounced Anderson back to the bullpen. Anderson has done well in his starts but that has only covered 13 2/3 innings of work. Then I'd probably say Burnes gets bumped back to AAA. It may be a small sample size, but Peralta's has been much more effective against left-handed bats this year and starting to look like he could be a multi-inning hammer out of the bullpen. His plus-fastball and a bunch of marginal other stuff just might play that much better as a reliever. Houser would be a definite candidate to send back down, but with Burnes sucking in his last two outings...it just gets pretty hard to justify that 10+ ERA and 2 WHIP on the roster. Obvious no-brainer statement at this point is that Burnes better turn in a good outing in his next chance.

Is Nelson racking up MLB service time with him being on the disabled list last yeAr and this year? Or doesn't the time count for some reason? He was hurt while in the majors so my guess is that he'll be a free agent after next year.

As of now, he is RIGHT NOW -May 24- around 4.3 years of MLB service. If he is at AAA for about three weeks, the Brewers will get another year of control, correct? He would be under control through 2021. Pretty significant.

I'm disappointed but not shocked by this move. It just seems like Nelson has reached the sink or swim phase, there is a time where he is going to have to face MLB hitters and it seems pretty pointless at this juncture to have him continue to work in AAA. If they called him up now and he got shelled in his first two/three starts, then they could have optioned him a few weeks from now as he is still about 65 days away from reaching 5 years of service time.

Service time ticks when on the DL. He was 65 days away on opening day, those 65 days are almost up. So if they were going to option him, they had to do it now. I would have preferred to have Nelson up and starting next week, but I can see why they did what they did.

As of now, he is RIGHT NOW -May 24- around 4.3 years of MLB service. If he is at AAA for about three weeks, the Brewers will get another year of control, correct? He would be under control through 2021. Pretty significant.

He'd need to spend almost the entire season optioned for the Brewers to get an extra year.

Service time ticks when on the DL. He was 65 days away on opening day, those 65 days are almost up. So if they were going to option him, they had to do it now. I would have preferred to have Nelson up and starting next week, but I can see why they did what they did.

He'd need to spend almost the entire season optioned for the Brewers to get an extra year.

I pulled the service time number from https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-milwaukee-brewers

They have him at 4 years, 107 days and I thought they updated thier numbers daily. However, Baseball Reference also has him at 4 years, 107 days and I know they only update at the beginning of the year. So either I was incorrect about Roster Resource doing daily updates, or Roster Resource made a mistake with not crediting him service time. Either way my statement was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. Now I think the smart move was to option Nelson now.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/milwaukee-brewers/

Cott's has him at 4.107 years from the beginning of the season, I believe. Also, that is not equivalent to 4 years and 107 days. I think it is just the decimal for the fraction of the season. For instance, if someone else is sent down midseason, my guess is that he would have .5 service years at the end of the year assuming he was up at season's beginning.

So if a season is six months plus long, each month would be roughly .16 of a service year. Three weeks would roughly be .12 or so, which would be enough time down to give keep Jimmy under 5 years of service at season's end.That would make 2021, not 2020, his last year controlled by the Brewers since FA is granted after 6 complete service years (6.0) in MLB.

So..... my guess is this is the mule driving the cart. It makes sense for the Brewers to send him down now, and it makes sense that Nelson is a little confused with his recent move to AAA.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/milwaukee-brewers/

Cott's has him at 4.107 years from the beginning of the season, I believe. Also, that is not equivalent to 4 years and 107 days. I think it is just the decimal for the fraction of the season. For instance, if someone else is sent down midseason, my guess is that he would have .5 service years at the end of the year assuming he was up at season's beginning.

So if a season is six months plus long, each month would be roughly .16 of a service year. Three weeks would roughly be .12 or so, which would be enough time down to give keep Jimmy under 5 years of service at season's end.That would make 2021, not 2020, his last year controlled by the Brewers since FA is granted after 6 complete service years (6.0) in MLB.

So..... my guess is this is the mule driving the cart. It makes sense for the Brewers to send him down now, and it makes sense that Nelson is a little confused with his recent move to AAA.

It is 4 years and 107 days at the start of the year and about a week from 5 years now but that has been paused for now since he was optioned.

We’re talking service time? Service time?

Wow, if I’m jimmy, I’m angry. Back to wasting good quality pitches on inferior competition, just because the crew doesn’t want to tell Chacín or Anderson their going to the pen for the betterment of the pitching staff. I was wanting the crew to potentially sign jimmy to a 2 or 3 year extension this offseason, that probably just got a little more difficult to do.

Anderson couldn’t get thru 5, Chacín the same, what am I missing here?

Archived