Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

anglotiger
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was pretty sure when Nelson was given the go, they said 3 or 4 starts and all good meant return to Milw rotation. Hes 3down right? 1 to go? He'll be starting in no time for us. Next week basically.

2 down... 8 days apart. 3rd and 11th of May.

17th, 23rd and 28th to go? (SA doubleheader on the 27th and he gets back on every 5th schedule)

Leaves Memphis on the 29th and meets MKE in Pittsburgh for the 30th as SA goes to Omaha. Sounds right.

I was pretty sure when Nelson was given the go, they said 3 or 4 starts and all good meant return to Milw rotation. Hes 3down right? 1 to go? He'll be starting in no time for us. Next week basically.

17th, 23rd and 28th to go? (SA doubleheader on the 27th and he gets back on every 5th schedule)

Leaves Memphis on the 29th and meets MKE in Pittsburgh for the 30th as SA goes to Omaha. Sounds right.

I think for the last 2 rehab starts they will want the 4 day rest to make sure he recovers ok, so 22nd and 27th then starts for the big club June 1 in Pittsburgh.

Unless they decide to put him in the bullpen, because our starters too strong.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think for the last 2 rehab starts they will want the 4 day rest to make sure he recovers ok, so 22nd and 27th then starts for the big club June 1 in Pittsburgh.

Unless they decide to put him in the bullpen, because our starters too strong.

I just can't see a bullpen move for Nelson. He has never relieved in his career, they are keeping him on a strict throwing/rest schedule, and he's coming off a major rare injury for a pitcher. I would imagine the last thing they'd want to do is put him in a spot where he'd have to get ready to come into a game on short notice. That just doesn't seem prudent for a pitcher in Nelson's situation I think it's rotation or bust right now. But you are right, the rotation is performing very well right now, which makes the decision infinitely more difficult. These situations to often sort themselves out, but the time for that to happen is quickly dwindling.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At this point, Peralta might still be the odd man out. It's very clear with the way Nelson's rehab is going, that they absolutely intend to use him as a starter. Of the guys currently in the rotation, Peralta would be the one that seems to be not necessarily deserving of being demoted but the guy who is struggling somewhat, and could also easily slide into a bullpen role and immediately provide value in that role.

The thing that know one is talking about is if the brewers have an innings limit this year for jimmy, and if so, maybe then, he goes to the pen.

Even though he’s yet to throw an inning for the big club, he’s thrown innings in Arizona, and Texas getting his arm built up, so it’ll be interesting what the brewers limitations are for jimmy if any.

5/17

5.2 IP / 0 R / 3 H / 1 BB / 8 K 86 pitches, 54 strikes

Getting closer.

Couple two tree more starts like that & Jimmy should be ready to go.

It's almost starting to feel real.

I think 2 at the most. Hoping it’s just 1.

I promise you jimmy knows he’s ready, and wants up for his next start.

The thing that know one is talking about is if the brewers have an innings limit this year for jimmy, and if so, maybe then, he goes to the pen.

Even though he’s yet to throw an inning for the big club, he’s thrown innings in Arizona, and Texas getting his arm built up, so it’ll be interesting what the brewers limitations are for jimmy if any.

Nobody is talking about it because they said before spring training there wasn’t an inning restriction. They aren’t protecting a 19 year old prospect, it’s a veteran pitcher in the middle of his career coming off two years rest.

Nobody is talking about it because they said before spring training there wasn’t an inning restriction. They aren’t protecting a 19 year old prospect, it’s a veteran pitcher in the middle of his career coming off two years rest.

Didn’t know the crew said that, great, thanks for clarifying.

With Anderson taking the start Saturday, and maybe one more, then the logical move would be Anderson to the pen and Nelson taking his rotation spot in Pittsburgh series May 31-June 2. Burnes and Peralta clearly need work in AAA.

With Anderson taking the start Saturday, and maybe one more, then the logical move would be Anderson to the pen and Nelson taking his rotation spot in Pittsburgh series May 31-June 2. Burnes and Peralta clearly need work in AAA.

I think it really depends on how Anderson does. He stunk coming out of the pen early this year. 10 IPs - 11 hits - 5 ERs - 4 BBs.

He can be a very effective starter if he can keep the ball in the park. IF he pitches well today it will be a good situation to have for CC.

I think it really depends on how Anderson does. He stunk coming out of the pen early this year. 10 IPs - 11 hits - 5 ERs - 4 BBs.

He can be a very effective starter if he can keep the ball in the park. IF he pitches well today it will be a good situation to have for CC.

When Nelson returns, it will be either Anderson or Chacín to the pen. Both gonna get a start or two before, if both pitch well I’d say 75/25 Anderson to the pen, mostly because he’s been there already this year, and adjusted well.

Burnes and Peralta should pitch out of the pen. Peralta in the 2-4 inning role and Burnes in high leverage only, pressure packed situations he obviously relishes. Barring catastrophic injuries, neither is pitching out of the rotation anymore this year, but both can help strengthen the bullpen.

Chacin has been effective outside of two starts, both of which are pretty far in the rear view mirror. I guess his last wasn’t that great, but hardly a disaster.

Anderson will be back in the rotation soon enough. I don’t think there is any chance he would take Chacin’s spot.

It's hard for me to see why Chase Anderson shouldn't keep a spot in this rotation regardless of what else they do. Davies, Woodruff, and Gio are certainly locks to keep starting at the moment, so you have 2 spots between Anderson, Nelson and Chacin. Peralta just isn't going to win the numbers game and probably heads down to stay stretched out.

Chacin hasn't had a great season, but he's got leash after last year. I wouldn't be opposed to a 6 man rotation, or even Nelson in the pen. But I really don't want to see Chase go back to the pen.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/jimmy-nelson-nearing-return.html

One more rehab start, then activated. Nelson, Davies, Woodruff, Gonzalez, Chacin I would think becomes the rotation. Pretty solid.

I would guess Burnes goes down but does Peralta stay in the bullpen, or does he go to AAA to keep stretched out?

My guess/Hope is houser not Burnes to AAA. If not houser then it’s Peralta. CC said Burnes will be given another chance.

Archived