Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

anglotiger
So another 6 days between starts for jimmy. Wondering now, when he’s promoted to the big club, if that will continue, 6 days between, 6 man starting staff? Or back to 5 days with the 5 man?.

My guess is this is part of the process. Stretch him out, but give him one e xtra day of recovery. If he responds well to that, move it to 5. Probably at least 2-3 more starts, making sure he can return strong with 4 days of rest.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s only a matter of time before he replaces Peralta.

Anderson is gonna replace Peralta. Peralta to the pen. when Nelson comes back that one will be more interesting. After listening to CC’s comments on Nelson, that could be first second week of June.

More I think about it, I can see both Nelson and Hiura coming up right before or right after All Star break. Especially if rotation is still humming along. After all this, they're going to be very careful with Nelson.

It’s only a matter of time before he replaces Peralta.

Anderson is gonna replace Peralta. Peralta to the pen. when Nelson comes back that one will be more interesting. After listening to CC’s comments on Nelson, that could be first second week of June.

Well, sure, I guess Anderson could come take his spot sooner than that. Long term picture it is Nelson taking Peralta out of the rotation. I don't think it is much of a question that Anderson will get replaced by Nelson in the scenario.

Gio - signed to start so I doubt they boot him on that alone...not to mention he has pitched well so far.

Chacin - Obviously not going anywhere.

Davies - Definitely not going anywhere.

Woodruff - Highly unlikely. He has pitched well all season and the results finally reflected that the last few starts. I guess he could bomb a few times and be the odd man out...but I really doubt that.

Hey, good problem to have especially considering how it all looked 2-3 weeks ago. Just have to remember this stuff tends to sort itself out in that someone else will have an injury between now and then. If not, I'd also guess Anderson would be the one bumped to the pen since they've done it with him before. Of course Woodruff was last year too but I don't think they'd want to mess with him now that he's doing well. Although, later on he might need a short DL stint to save some innings.

Nelson has to be shut down or called up after 30 days. I dont believe Brewers would option him. Not even sure he could be.

May 31st seems to be the last day that Jimmy can be optioned, as he'll reach 5 years of service time the next day. This ended up lining up almost exactly with the end of the rehab assignment.

So they could, and I guess they will if he's obviously not ready and looks awful, but I agree that I don't believe they will. Breaking stuff looks great, velo is fine, give him a chance to prove that he's back. There's a good chance he makes this team better. So on those grounds alone he should be on the MLB roster. In addition to that, it also doesn't look great to option a player on the last day where you can do so. Even more true for a popular guy (With both fans and players) like Jimmy.

Nelson has to be shut down or called up after 30 days. I dont believe Brewers would option him. Not even sure he could be.

May 31st seems to be the last day that Jimmy can be optioned, as he'll reach 5 years of service time the next day. This ended up lining up almost exactly with the end of the rehab assignment.

So they could, and I guess they will if he's obviously not ready and looks awful, but I agree that I don't believe they will. Breaking stuff looks great, velo is fine, give him a chance to prove that he's back. There's a good chance he makes this team better. So on those grounds alone he should be on the MLB roster. In addition to that, it also doesn't look great to option a player on the last day where you can do so. Even more true for a popular guy (With both fans and players) like Jimmy.

After listening to CC, sounds like their plan is to take most of the 30 days then activate. Can’t wait!! Zero doubt he will help.

Hey, good problem to have especially considering how it all looked 2-3 weeks ago. Just have to remember this stuff tends to sort itself out in that someone else will have an injury between now and then. If not, I'd also guess Anderson would be the one bumped to the pen since they've done it with him before. Of course Woodruff was last year too but I don't think they'd want to mess with him now that he's doing well. Although, later on he might need a short DL stint to save some innings.

Oh yah, Anderson will get his starts regardless. Over the course of a season one of those guys is likely to be injured more often than not. though of course I guess Peralta could be the #6 guy...but I bet not.

Are those the only two options? Couldn't they put him on the 10 day DL if they don't feel he's ready? Not suggesting this is the case, just asking the question.

Are those the only two options? Couldn't they put him on the 10 day DL if they don't feel he's ready? Not suggesting this is the case, just asking the question.

With the "not ready" I was thinking more along the lines of healthy but rusty, lacking command, having the yips or something along those lines. Teams do use the IL with dubious "injuries", but someone throwing 80+ pitches per start going on the DL and then immediately continues to do so seems like a bit much. Anyway, I don't know exactly how it works either. I think that it would indeed have to count as a new IL stint (Or else the 30-day maximum length of a rehab assigment would feel pretty meaningless), meaning they'd have to activate him (And create a 40-man spot for him) before putting him on the IL again, but this time on the 10-day one. But if he's still actually injuried, of course they'd do that.

Verified Member
I think that it would indeed have to count as a new IL stint (Or else the 30-day maximum length of a rehab assigment would feel pretty meaningless), meaning they'd have to activate him (And create a 40-man spot for him) before putting him on the IL again, but this time on the 10-day one. But if he's still actually injuried, of course they'd do that.

I think Nelson has actually been on the 10-day IL since his injury. I have no idea why. There is no IL in the offseason, so he'd have to take up a spot on the 40 man during that time no matter what, but I have no idea why he was on the 10 day IL all of last year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think that it would indeed have to count as a new IL stint (Or else the 30-day maximum length of a rehab assigment would feel pretty meaningless), meaning they'd have to activate him (And create a 40-man spot for him) before putting him on the IL again, but this time on the 10-day one. But if he's still actually injuried, of course they'd do that.

I think Nelson has actually been on the 10-day IL since his injury. I have no idea why. There is no IL in the offseason, so he'd have to take up a spot on the 40 man during that time no matter what, but I have no idea why he was on the 10 day IL all of last year.

Jimmy spent all of 2018 on the 60-day DL. He was placed there March 30.

Sounds like the Brewers not only want him on the roster, but in the rotation when ready. I don't think fake injuries are in the cards to keep him at AAA.

It's not a fake injury. He's still recovering from his original injury. He hasn't been back on the 25 since he originally injured his shoulder. So this is just a typical rehab, no different than any other rehab stint. It's not fake or fishy to stay on the DL until you're ready to return to the active roster.

Nelson is on the 10 IL.

The IL doesn't exist in the off season. Think Rangers needing to stick him on their 40 man roster every offseason to collect insurance money and then put him back on the 60 day at the start of each season.

The Brewers put Nelson on the 10 IL this year because they obviously didn't want him out till June on the 60 IL if he could come back sooner. If they don't feel he is ready they could probably slide him over to that 60 day IL because it is retroactive and if he isn't ready by June it won't really effect anything.

Verified Member
Nelson is on the 10 IL.

The Brewers put Nelson on the 10 IL this year because they obviously didn't want him out till June on the 60 IL if he could come back sooner. If they don't feel he is ready they could probably slide him over to that 60 day IL because it is retroactive and if he isn't ready by June it won't really effect anything.

Are the 10 day and 60 day ILs only relevant between opening day and the last day of the season? I thought one could begin "serving time" on either IL list at some point in January or February, not on the first day of the season.

While they are on the IL list, I don't think they can appear in any MiLB re-hab games (or Spring Training games). There is specifically a separate "post-IL" re-hab stint that is on a different timeline than the actual IL lists. Since he has appeared in minor league rehab games I don't think they can retroactively put Nelson on the 60 day IL unless they want to keep him out of all games for another 60 days. They'd have to put him back on the 10 day IL where he couldn't pitch for 10 days, then begin another minor league re-hab stint that could last up to 30 days.

I'm not positive on any of this though.

EDIT: Players CAN still rehab in the minors as part of their IL stints. I don't know what would happen if they get re-injured while rehabbing--I suppose they would have to go on the minor league 7-day IL and then re-set their rehab clock (20 days for position players, 30 days for pitchers)?

Nelson is on the 10 IL.

EDIT: Players CAN still rehab in the minors as part of their IL stints. I don't know what would happen if they get re-injured while rehabbing--I suppose they would have to go on the minor league 7-day IL and then re-set their rehab clock (20 days for position players, 30 days for pitchers)?

Nope. A player on the MLB IL cannot also be on a minor league roster or IL. They simply would recall someone off the rehab assignment for evaluation.

With the "not ready" I was thinking more along the lines of healthy but rusty, lacking command, having the yips or something along those lines. Teams do use the IL with dubious "injuries", but someone throwing 80+ pitches per start going on the DL and then immediately continues to do so seems like a bit much. Anyway, I don't know exactly how it works either. I think that it would indeed have to count as a new IL stint (Or else the 30-day maximum length of a rehab assigment would feel pretty meaningless), meaning they'd have to activate him (And create a 40-man spot for him) before putting him on the IL again, but this time on the 10-day one. But if he's still actually injuried, of course they'd do that.

MLB doesn't care. Remember when there were two camps arguing that we should put Wang on the DL once he hit his requirement as part of the 25 man roster and people said that if he didn't have a real injury, it'd be breaking the rules? Teams flaunt this all the time and MLB isn't going to question a guy who's missed a year and a half if the team says he's had a minor setback, he'll need another 10 days.

Verified Member
I don’t get the talk of more time in rehab than the 30 days, sometime from May 23-june 5 he’ll be starting for the big club. Boom done.

He completely destroyed his shoulder (kind of an important tendon and muscle grouping for an MLB pitcher) and hasn't pitched for 20 months or so (and that was with a healthy shoulder). He's kind of starting over as far was what it feels like to throw again. I'll be shocked if he is ready after 4 or 5 minor league starts, but if he is that would be great.

Exactly.

He’s healthy-his stuff is good-he’s gonna help the big club!

Archived