Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

anglotiger
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What’s the saying when the going gets tough the tough get going

The saying you're looking for is "Don't count your chickens until they're hatched."

Do you see now it wasn't a given Nelson was going to start Opening Day, pitch better than ever his year, and win the Cy Young? Optimism is great, blind optimism is not.

I was referring to stearns rough week. You are referring to my bold predictions on jimmy. Don’t gloat yet, let’s wait til we know what’s wrong with forearm. And let’s not exaggerate what I said, never said Cy Young. Said comeback player of the year. Did say better than ever because that’s what HE said his pitches were. That’s a fact by the way. Start opening day I did say then retracted same day when brewers only pitching him 1 inning in first game action. I also said “as long as he’s healthy” I don’t know how many times. I’m not stupid elbow and shoulder injuries happen with pitchers and I really don’t think anyone expected an ELBOW issue, shoulder maybe. We can revisit this after we have a definitive answer with jimmy if you want.

Are we really at the point of gloating about an optimistic fan's predictions not turning out right? Come on guys.

No, I wasn't gloating. It wasn't optimism, it was flat out statements that he will be the starter opening day, etc.

At least I wasnt gloating about how the Brewers caused injuries to JJ and Knebel.

I wondering if they will use Nelson in more of a relief role when he comes back. But i hope the brewers take their time with him.

Wondering the same. Hoping Jimmy’s sore forearm is because of throwing 60 pitches for the first time in 19 months, and that’s why the Brewers said they’re not concerned and expecting him to start again after after a break. Hoping it’s just part of building up arm strength, but we shall see.

Assuming he’s OK I’m just wondering if it might be better for Jimmy to pitch out of the pen. Limit his pitches and innings for the year, but also give us another weapon out of the bullpen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Are we really at the point of gloating about an optimistic fan's predictions not turning out right? Come on guys.

No, I wasn't gloating. It wasn't optimism, it was flat out statements that he will be the starter opening day, etc.

At least I wasnt gloating about how the Brewers caused injuries to JJ and Knebel.

That's fair. This type of thing happens every year at this time. Thursday can't get here soon enough.

What’s the saying when the going gets tough the tough get going

The saying you're looking for is "Don't count your chickens until they're hatched."

Do you see now it wasn't a given Nelson was going to start Opening Day, pitch better than ever his year, and win the Cy Young? Optimism is great, blind optimism is not.

Because a guy who hasn't pitched in a year and a half is sore from....pitching?

Also, could somehow link me to the Jimmy Nelson Cy Young predictions? You seem more pleased with yourself that Nelson isn't returning from a near 2 year layoff without any issues(and also subtely jumping to conclusions about the severity of an injury) while saying "told ya so," to a fellow Brewers fan.

I'd think ANYONE who's a fan of the Brewers would MUCH rather be wrong and see things go BETTER for the team than be right and see things go worse...like their best pitcher potentially suffering a serious injury(though there's absoulutely nothing to suggest he's done anything OTHER than get sore throwing 60 pitches for the first time in how long).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Yes...that appears to be exactly what's going on. Especially when you read the reply and take this post along with several others in context along with the exaggerated claims of a Cy Young for Nelson, a sarcastic quip used as a way of saying "told ya so," because Nelson is.....sore?

Anyone on here ever pitch or play baseball? The first time you ramp it up and start really throwing it, you deal with soreness.

When it's been 19 months since you pitched, I'd imagine that's even worse. When you're a pitcher at that level and you generate THAT type of stress on your arm, I'd guess its' that much worse.

But for the love of Bernie, can we PLEASE hold the "told ya so's," if there are any to be had until either we're watching this team spray each other with alcohol at some point, or we're all so miserable from the people who are happy the non-optimistic comments have come to fruition that this board is already miserable?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

After the first 4 games I will make the following prediction:

Nelson is the key to the pitching staff.

If crew puts him in rotation, he’ll anchor our starting staff.

If brewers decide he better off in pen he can be our righty Hader.

Either way it’ll be great seeing jimmy pumping his fists again!

Nobody is a righty Hader.........

More likely Nelson goes into the rotation and Peralta becomes a weapon out of the pen.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Now that you mention that......I guess not.

• 3 weeks later...

getting a healthy Jimmy back in the rotation is going to be a big deal!

Still not going to count on it until it actually happens though.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

getting a healthy Jimmy back in the rotation is going to be a big deal!

Still not going to count on it until it actually happens though.

C'mon, you're gettin a little excited.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I really hope Nelson can make it back. It'd be awesome for him and Lord knows the Brewers really need him.

I'd put Woodruff back in the bullpen where he thrived last year. A pitcher like Woodruff, with 2 pitches and "working on a changeup" screams bullpen to me anyways. Let him play to his strengths instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Joey you are correct but they need to realize he going to need time to get major league ready.

He’s not far from that now, maybe 2-3 weeks. Don’t worry bout jimmy, when he’s back, he’s going to dominate more than not. Devastating breaking stuff, that we’ve all seen with our own eyes in this tread, will assure that of happening.

Archived