Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson update from On Deck

anglotiger
I'd rather see him in AAA, stretching out as a normal starter for every 5th day...

Get him back into the role he will at some point be playing for us...

I don't care which way they do it(if they do it out of the pen though, I'd really hope it'd be every 5th day and that he could warm up like a starter).

If he can get the velo back up and his breaking stuff looks like that....wow. Maybe instead of his '17 season being an outlier, it'll be just the start!

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nasty

I will temper my excitement since he hasn't pitched enough to really know how his command is, but that pitch he threw there was flat out unhittable. Start on the corner and broke away late. With two strikes that is an absolute nightmare of a slider. From bits and pieces he looks good and his velocity sounds like it has ramped up.

Or another way of looking at it (sorry for the ugly chart, I don't have a lot of time at the minute):

UNYCVDy.jpg

This is Jimmy's WPA on a 10-game moving average by appearance, with a linear trendline thrown in for kicks. To me, the outlier is clearly between starts 71-81ish (need to adjust the numbers because the first data point is actually the 10th game), aka the tail end of his 2016 season.

(This doesn't include the AAA data I mentioned in the prior post.)

UH OH!

Jimmy Nelson felt soreness in his right elbow after pitching in a minor league game Thursday.

The Brewers don't seem concerned at the moment, as Nelson isn't slated to undergo any additional testing and the team expects him to be ready for the start of the minor league season. Still, with Nelson coming back from a shoulder injury and also dealing with a forearm ailment this spring, the red flags are piling up. He could join the Brewers' rotation sometime in April if all goes well, but we'll have to see how he progresses.

SOURCE: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Mar 22, 2019, 12:36 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

UH OH!

Jimmy Nelson felt soreness in his right elbow after pitching in a minor league game Thursday.

The Brewers don't seem concerned at the moment, as Nelson isn't slated to undergo any additional testing and the team expects him to be ready for the start of the minor league season. Still, with Nelson coming back from a shoulder injury and also dealing with a forearm ailment this spring, the red flags are piling up. He could join the Brewers' rotation sometime in April if all goes well, but we'll have to see how he progresses.

Given that we cannot trust what the team says about injuries anymore, I'll believe Jimmy Nelson will pitch this year when he pitches this year.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

UH OH!

Given that we cannot trust what the team says about injuries anymore, I'll believe Jimmy Nelson will pitch this year when he pitches this year.

Soreness in elbow not good especially since the second time this spring he’s had soreness. Last time used excuse of slipping off the mound. Boy oh boy! This year gonna sure see what stearns and co are made of. What’s the saying when the going gets tough the tough get going

UH OH!

Why no testing? What’s the downside to an MRI today?

What’s the saying when the going gets tough the tough get going

The saying you're looking for is "Don't count your chickens until they're hatched."

Do you see now it wasn't a given Nelson was going to start Opening Day, pitch better than ever his year, and win the Cy Young? Optimism is great, blind optimism is not.

UH OH!

Soreness in elbow not good especially since the second time this spring he’s had soreness. Last time used excuse of slipping off the mound. Boy oh boy! This year gonna sure see what stearns and co are made of. What’s the saying when the going gets tough the tough get going

Huh? They didn't have Nelson last year and did just fine. Even without Knebel I think this team is better going into the regular season than last years team.

Huh? Really? No jeffress no Knebel No Nelson AGAIN National League just got way better this off-season National League Central improved just spent $29 million on two one-year contracts for moose and grandal. I call this a pretty tough week for him.

Huh? Really? No jeffress no Knebel No Nelson AGAIN National League just got way better this off-season National League Central improved just spent $29 million on two one-year contracts for moose and grandal. I call this a pretty tough week for him.

If you were evaluating this team as though Nelson were going to be part of it, that is your mistake. I wasn't and still am not. Jeffress is on the trail back. If they can't replace 55 innnings of Knebel then they were never as good as you thought they were. Reds are being over hyped and the Cardinals needed to get better just to catch up. That was before we singed Moose and Yas. The Cubs didn't get better. Signing Kimbrel is an overreaction much the same as overreacting to this weeks injures. There will be more.

If you were evaluating this team as though Nelson were going to be part of it, that is your mistake. I wasn't and still am not. Jeffress is on the trail back. If they can't replace 55 innnings of Knebel then they were never as good as you thought they were. Reds are being over hyped and the Cardinals needed to get better just to catch up. That was before we singed Moose and Yas. The Cubs didn't get better. Signing Kimbrel is an overreaction much the same as overreacting to this weeks injures. There will be more.

I’m of the opinion Nelson injury is a surprise to brewers but maybe not.

I’m sure taking comfort in the fact that you’ve declared Jeffress on the way back. Just like you doubted Nelson let’s just say I’m doubting jeffress back and IF he’s not I suppose that still won’t change your view will it? It’s your opinion that signing Kimbrell is an overreaction not a fact. I happen to disagree. Just like we disagree on the Cardinals Reds Cubs and Pirates not being better. But ok, I guess you’re right I guess it hasn’t been a tough week for Stearns

Hey now, you get out of here with this calmness and logic...

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!

No panic, just of a different opinion than most here on this board, to which my reasoning has been explained, and ignored. But go ahead continue to talk like your the fans of baseballs smallest market. I love the brewers, I love David Stearns, I love what mike Ilitch did,I love Bob Uecker and Merle Harmon, I don’t love baseball owners except bud selig. Because he’s mike Ilitch without the money.

No panic, just of a different opinion than most here on this board, to which my reasoning has been explained, and ignored. But go ahead continue to talk like your the fans of baseballs smallest market. I love the brewers, I love David Stearns, I love what mike Ilitch did,I love Bob Uecker and Merle Harmon, I don’t love baseball owners except bud selig. Because he’s mike Ilitch without the money.

This is rich. So it I don't agree with our "opinion" I'm not a real fan?

No not what it means, if you really want to know It’s explained in Kimbrel thread from earlier today.

No not what it means, if you really want to know It’s explained in Kimbrel thread from earlier today.

I don't know who's winning this argument, but could you guys agree to change one of your names? The whole 82/92 thing gets confusing :laughing

As an impartial judge, I'm leaning towards 92 having to change because he/she made so many bold predictions/facts about Nelson that turned out to be wrong.

True with LOTS of BOLD Nelson predictions, but a little early to pass final judgment, Could be minor forearm whatever(eyes roll) but he much more board tenure and probably more liked around here than I.

Oh I he

Not sure if referring to me. All I've said about Nelson is that I believe they'll put him in the rotation when he's ready. I haven't been saying anything with regard to when he'll be ready or if he'll be back to 2017 form. If you are referring to me, I think you got me mixed up with someone else.

True with LOTS of BOLD Nelson predictions, but a little early to pass final judgment, Could be minor forearm whatever(eyes roll) but he much more board tenure and probably more liked around here than I.

Oh I he

Not sure if referring to me. All I've said about Nelson is that I believe they'll put him in the rotation when he's ready. I haven't been saying anything with regard to when he'll be ready or if he'll be back to 2017 form. If you are referring to me, I think you got me mixed up with someone else.

No sir, true as in Correct. If I refer to you it be TBBC. By the way,great user name > Jealous

Oh I he

No sir, true as in Correct. If I refer to you it be TBBC. By the way,great user name > Jealous

Ah, sorry about that. I should have been able to figure that out. And thank you.

Archived