Brewer Fanatic

Remaining top free agent predictions

I wonder to some degree if teams are specifically trying to lock out Boras. His clients have suffered more than any others the last couple years. Or maybe Boras is simply getting overly ridiculous with his asking prices. Keuchel, Harper, Moose, Gonzalez...that's 4 of the clear top 7 remaining free agents as Boras clients.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Bryce Harper

I wonder if the Nats would stick by the 10/$300M offer they made at the end of the season given it sounds like teams are not inclined to go past 7 years on Harper?

I know that they're the elite of the current FA class, but both Harper and Machado are really the lower end of elite in MLB. Neither has put up the numbers of Mookie Betts/Mike Trout (few players have), but they are really in the mix with a lot of players who can put up 30WAR in 6 years... Do you break the bank for them then what's left when a true elite player like Trout/Betts comes? Yelich looks like a 5WAR player, Jose Ramirez may have surpassed Machado in value, so have Bregman and Lindor. While both of these guys have numbers that are better than most of the current Free Agents, there's a lot of talent in MLB that is close to them or better, so do you break the current salary structure for them when there will be 20+ of the same type coming and looking for similar deals. I wouldn't blink to give Trout a 8 year $40M-$50M AAV contract as he will likely end his career as the greatest of all time... Machado and Harper are in the top 30-40 players, not the top 10-15...

They traded for La Stella. Does he count as a 2B?

They have Taylor Ward (3b) who broke out last year in the minors. I have no idea if they think that can translate to big league success, but he may be the current option along with La Stella. Angels haven't had a 3rd baseman since Troy Glaus (thanks Dallas McPherson and Brandon Wood).

There are still many top names out there on the market as we reach the end of January. I get the feeling these guys are going to start going pretty quick now. I thought it might be fun to guess where they are going to end up.

1. Bryce Harper - Angels: The Angels seem so generic, so they sign a guy that will provide some identity.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: The team with "stupid money" uses a crapload of it to make a stupid signing.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers: Uncertainty in the OF filled with a versatile, albeit injury-prone player.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Yankees: Cashman and the Yankees LOL at those who believed they'd spend smartly and be budget conscious this year.

5. Craig Kimbrel - Phillies: More "stupid money" on overpaying for a reliever.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres: I could easily see the Brewers signing him too, but for some reason the Padres think they are going to compete this year, so I could see this too.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers: The longer he sits on the open market, the more I believe he's a Brewers target. He just makes so much sense on this roster both currently and in the future.

8. Gio Gonzalez - White Sox: Seems like the perfect White Sox pitcher (i.e. a vet they can sign to a cheap, short-term contract, then flip at the deadline)

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.

10. Wade Miley - Braves: So much talk about the Braves awesome pitching prospects, yet they are continuously shopping for cheap starters. I could see him re-upping with the Brewers too, especially if Anderson is moved.

11. Jose Iglesias - Pirates: Solid defense and blah offense. Seems like a Pirate to me.

12. Josh Harrison - Dodgers: Signs a cheap deal to chase a ring.

There are obviously many other free agents out there that will sign in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to watch.

I hope your description of the Angels in your initial post was sarcasm. :laughing Mike Trout doesn't give the Angels an identity? Lol

There are still many top names out there on the market as we reach the end of January. I get the feeling these guys are going to start going pretty quick now. I thought it might be fun to guess where they are going to end up.

1. Bryce Harper - Angels: The Angels seem so generic, so they sign a guy that will provide some identity.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: The team with "stupid money" uses a crapload of it to make a stupid signing.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers: Uncertainty in the OF filled with a versatile, albeit injury-prone player.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Yankees: Cashman and the Yankees LOL at those who believed they'd spend smartly and be budget conscious this year.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres: I could easily see the Brewers signing him too, but for some reason the Padres think they are going to compete this year, so I could see this too.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers: The longer he sits on the open market, the more I believe he's a Brewers target. He just makes so much sense on this roster both currently and in the future.

8. Gio Gonzalez - White Sox: Seems like the perfect White Sox pitcher (i.e. a vet they can sign to a cheap, short-term contract, then flip at the deadline)

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.

10. Wade Miley - Braves: So much talk about the Braves awesome pitching prospects, yet they are continuously shopping for cheap starters. I could see him re-upping with the Brewers too, especially if Anderson is moved.

11. Jose Iglesias - Pirates: Solid defense and blah offense. Seems like a Pirate to me.

There are obviously many other free agents out there that will sign in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to watch.

I hope your description of the Angels in your initial post was sarcasm. :laughing Mike Trout doesn't give the Angels an identity? Lol

Wasn't there a whole argument last year that Trout should be way more marketable than he actually is? He doesn't have a ton of personality. The Angels have star power, but that isn't the same as identity. That team is a listless ship right now.

Bryce Harper: Twins. With no money on the books and the tribe looking vulnerable the Twins sweep in with an 9 year, $333 million contract (Harper happy because it beats Stantons total $)

Manny Machado: Chicago White Sox. White Sox have done numerous things to ensure Manny comes. evenually accepts 7 year, $210 million contract.

A.J. Pollock: Phillies. Phillies panic after not landing one of the top two, sign Pollock to shocking 5 year, $105 million contract to ensure Pollock comes.

Dallas Kuechel: Phillies. Still in shock mode, Phillies succumb to Kuechel's demands of 5 years, $100 million.

Craig Kimbrel: Cardinals. Market never materializes, Cardinals need closer and wants the man in camp long before what happened last year. Signs Kimbrel to a 1 year, $22 million contract.

Mike Moustakas: Phillies. Phillies have a bit of stupid money leftover from not landing top two, only team to offer Moustakas a three year deal at 3 years, $27 million.

Marwin Gonzalez: Pirates, market never materializes since teams that value versatility don't show interest. Pirates enter in the side door and land him for 4 years, $28 million.

Gio Gonzalez: Giants. Why stop at Holland and Pomeranz?!? Get another lefty on incentive laden deal at 1 year, $4 million with incentives that could bring total to $10 million.

Adam Jones: Rockies. Rockies make another move to block David Dahl. Jones sees opportunity to follow along same lines of past vets who are not in their prime and put up ridiculous numbers at the end of their career puts up career year with his 1 year, $8 million contract.

Wade Miley: Astros. Astros see cheaper version of Dallas Kuechel and offers 3 years, $15 million to have some stability with rotation beyond 2019.

Jose Iglesias: Mariners. Mariners pay him 1 year, $4 million as insurance for J.P. Crawford and somehow gets involved with a three way team trade with the Padres and Yankees ending up with the Padres who, in turn, flips him back to the Mariners and agree to pay half his salary.

Josh Harrison. Orioles. Everyone realizes Harrison is mediocre, no offers. Harrison sins for 1 year, $2.5 million will Orioles who hope he can be flipped to contending club midseason.

Clay Buchholz. Brewers. Finally! Oft injured up and down player who signs one year deal for $4 million.

Ervin Sanatana. Pirates. Doesn't this scream pitcher who eventually winds up with Pirates pitches well and lands that bigger contract the next season that he never lives up to since he was already past his prime? 1 year, $4 million.

1. Bryce Harper - Phillies

2. Manny Machado - White Sox. Antics aside, he's really good, plays every day, and still young. A perfect fit here in my book.

3. A.J. Pollack - San Francisco. A match made in heaven. Aging, injury prone OF with speed. Seems like a SF staple.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Padres

5. Craig Kimbrel - Red Sox. Grandal, type 1-year agreement seems possible.

6. Mike Moustakas - Brewers

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Rangers- I have no idea why. They've got money and watched him play next door the last few years.

8. Gio Gonzalez - Oakland

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.- Agreed.

10. Wade Miley - Brewers

11. Jose Iglesias - Twins

12. Josh Harrison - Angels

Why are several posters suggesting that signing Machado is stupid for the Phillies (or anyone)?

In my opinion, if you are going to sign a player to that kind of contract, he should be a solid ambassador for the game and for your team. Machado isn't even a solid ambassador for himself. Yeah, he's probably going to put up good numbers wherever he goes. He's a top 5 offensive player in the game. But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.

I don't really care about most of the stuff Machado has done. But the things that make me dislike him(though I'd get over it if he were a Brewer) is how he just doesn't run hard. He saved the Brewers a run last year IIRC because he jogged to 1st after a GB to SS where the ball was bobbled.

I don't care about bat flips and other cocky things. I love Gomez and if you look at lists of most hated players from when he was here, he was on nearly every one. But you didn't see Gomez jogging on a grounder.

Still, give me a guy with his defensive ability and the ability to square the ball up as much as anyone in baseball....if I'm being honest, I could find a way to root for him if it got my team over the hump. But...since it's not going to happen, I can continue disliking him.

1. Bryce Harper - Phillies

2. Manny Machado - Padres - they are one of the mystery teams and will end up throwing the most money at him.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers - Friedman et al. are just waiting for Harper to set the market.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Phillies

5. Craig Kimbrel - Red Sox

6. Mike Moustakas - White Sox - they miss out on big two and are left going after Moustakas.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Cardinals - they have money to spend and could use a super utility player.

8. Gio Gonzalez - Oakland

9. Adam Jones - Orioles - if the Indians wanted Jones and Jones wanted to play in Cleveland they would already have made a deal, I think Jones wants to stay close to home and will re-up with the Os.

10. Wade Miley - Braves.

2. Manny Machado - Padres - they are one of the mystery teams and will end up throwing the most money at him.

What if the Brewers were the "mystery team" (assuming that's not just a ploy to get a team to bid against itself)?

We know that Stearns was very interested in him before he was traded to L.A., and the price - while still substantial - looks like it's going to be much lower than expected.

We also know that while Yelich called Machado out for dirty play, he added "it’s nothing that would be a real hostile beef or anything, at least on my part" and "if we ended up crossing paths again being on the same team I’m sure we’d be able to work that out".

As for fans booing? I'm fairly sure that wouldn't last long if he were in a Brewers uniform - fans are funny that way...

Would Machado take a smaller deal, but with an out clause?

There's a part of me which would love to see it happen, if only because it would give some people here something to gripe about which might at least have some merit, than the name on a building... :laughing

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Does anyone else feel like mlbtraderumors is seriously grasping at straws here?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/trying-to-identify-mystery-teams-for-manny-machado.html

Regarding the Brewers as a fit or creating content around a potential mystery team in general?

They spent an entire weekend talking about mystery teams on MLB Network Radio. So mlbTR is no different on that front.

As far as the Brewers... he's a clear upgrade at either ss or 3b and the Brewers appear to be contenders in 2019. So Machado obviously makes sense from that aspect. The chances of the Brewers signing Machado are slim due to probably payroll constraints.

What if the Brewers were the "mystery team" (assuming that's not just a ploy to get a team to bid against itself)?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers are at least in contact with his agent. I just think the Brewers do have a budget constraint that the Padres, White Sox, and Phillies don't so in a bidding war we would likely lose. Even if Machado would settle for a high AAV contract for 3 years then an opt out, I still think the Brewers can't be competitive. A team (Padres) that would sink so much money in a mediocre Eric Hosmer may not know how to value Machado, but from what I've read they have money to spend. My only hesitation with naming them was that's a bad hitters park in SD and all the other prime bidders have very hitter friendly parks, which could sway Manny...

There's a part of me which would love to see it happen, if only because it would give some people here something to gripe about which might at least have some merit, than the name on a building...

Well if it doesn't happen, someone could start another thread about Ryan Braun - that would be good for 10-15 pages of posts! ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers are at least in contact with his agent. I just think the Brewers do have a budget constraint that the Padres, White Sox, and Phillies don't so in a bidding war we would likely lose. Even if Machado would settle for a high AAV contract for 3 years then an opt out, I still think the Brewers can't be competitive. A team (Padres) that would sink so much money in a mediocre Eric Hosmer may not know how to value Machado, but from what I've read they have money to spend. My only hesitation with naming them was that's a bad hitters park in SD and all the other prime bidders have very hitter friendly parks, which could sway Manny...

Well, there's another reason to discount the Padres... If the money is close, would you rather play for a team that's unlikely to make the post-season, even with your help, or a team that made it last season without you...?

This is all academic of course, I don't think for one second that the Brewers will sign him and the Padres have to know that their only chance to land him is to blow away the other offers...

There's a part of me which would love to see it happen, if only because it would give some people here something to gripe about which might at least have some merit, than the name on a building...

Well if it doesn't happen, someone could start another thread about Ryan Braun - that would be good for 10-15 pages of posts! ;)

Or someone should go onto twitter and start a rumour about an imminent Braun for Hosmer trade? ;)

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Does anyone else feel like mlbtraderumors is seriously grasping at straws here?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/trying-to-identify-mystery-teams-for-manny-machado.html

Regarding the Brewers as a fit or creating content around a potential mystery team in general?

They spent an entire weekend talking about mystery teams on MLB Network Radio. So mlbTR is no different on that front.

As far as the Brewers... he's a clear upgrade at either ss or 3b and the Brewers appear to be contenders in 2019. So Machado obviously makes sense from that aspect. The chances of the Brewers signing Machado are slim due to probably payroll constraints.

I think most of their potential mystery teams are stretches. The Cardinals, Mets, Brewers, and Twins all seem very unlikely to me...and don't make much sense. The Angels and Padres make some sense as a mystery team, but I still think they are grasping at straws with those 2 teams a bit.

I think most of their potential mystery teams are stretches. The Cardinals, Mets, Brewers, and Twins all seem very unlikely to me...and don't make much sense. The Angels and Padres make some sense as a mystery team, but I still think they are grasping at straws with those 2 teams a bit.

It all smells of agent-speak to me. Consider where these rumours likely originated from - probably his agent (who else would know?).

We know (or at least have heard and have good reason to believe) that they were asking for the moon. Even if they didn't really expect to get that much, they may well be disappointed that not only does the top offer so far appear to come from a (currently) non-contending team, but also that the offer is as far below what they were looking for as it is. It's kind of hard to swallow that you'd be unhappy with that much money, but that's a discussion for another day...

I could be completely wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but it just feels like they're hoping to get the White Sox to bid against themselves, or convince a contending team that maybe a division rival is involved so that they feel compelled to jump in and raise the stakes...

Other owners know that the Brewers and Twins are not going to happen. Would make more sense for an agent to float out more big market teams. I'm sure the Mets see the Brewers involved in the rumor and they laugh.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The writer of the article didn't claim knowledge of the specific teams, they were just speculating as to the possibilities - some of which, as you point out, seem a bit silly on the surface of it...

Andy Martino of SNY.tv reports that the Yankees' offer to Manny Machado is "low."

Martino isn't sure whether the Yankees have made Machado a formal offer, but it's just semantics, as the infielder is aware of how much the team is willing to pay. Obviously, it's not enough, but neither has any other offer Machado has received. It appears at this point that Machado would have to fall back into the Yankees' laps in order for them to land him, but Martino notes that the club is "in touch" with the free agent and "are not out by any stretch."

Source: Andy Martino on TwitterJan 25 - 12:04 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Now this makes some sense. I don't know that I buy that they haven't been involved, but Machado is actually a pretty nice fit for the Padres. I've said in multiple threads, but I think the Padres making a bit of a splash and ramping up toward contention makes a ton of sense.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/padres-rumors-pursuing-manny-machado-interest.html

Archived