Brewer Fanatic

Remaining top free agent predictions

There are still many top names out there on the market as we reach the end of January. I get the feeling these guys are going to start going pretty quick now. I thought it might be fun to guess where they are going to end up.

1. Bryce Harper - Angels: The Angels seem so generic, so they sign a guy that will provide some identity.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: The team with "stupid money" uses a crapload of it to make a stupid signing.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers: Uncertainty in the OF filled with a versatile, albeit injury-prone player.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Yankees: Cashman and the Yankees LOL at those who believed they'd spend smartly and be budget conscious this year.

5. Craig Kimbrel - Phillies: More "stupid money" on overpaying for a reliever.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres: I could easily see the Brewers signing him too, but for some reason the Padres think they are going to compete this year, so I could see this too.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers: The longer he sits on the open market, the more I believe he's a Brewers target. He just makes so much sense on this roster both currently and in the future.

8. Gio Gonzalez - White Sox: Seems like the perfect White Sox pitcher (i.e. a vet they can sign to a cheap, short-term contract, then flip at the deadline)

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.

10. Wade Miley - Braves: So much talk about the Braves awesome pitching prospects, yet they are continuously shopping for cheap starters. I could see him re-upping with the Brewers too, especially if Anderson is moved.

11. Jose Iglesias - Pirates: Solid defense and blah offense. Seems like a Pirate to me.

12. Josh Harrison - Dodgers: Signs a cheap deal to chase a ring.

There are obviously many other free agents out there that will sign in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to watch.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The White Sox are going to make a bigger splash than Gio Gonzalez. They aren't looking for flip candidates and Reinsdorf is ready to open the wallet.. They are serious about a .500 team in 2019 and contending in 2020 not adding to their already well stocked farm system. They added one solid vet already in Ivan Nova to go with their young starting core. Dylan Cease will be a TOR starter in the not too distant future, and Eloy Jimenez is a future superstar.

I still think they are favorites to get Machado and their backup plan is Moustakas but don't be surprised if they're in on Marwin Gonzalez too.

1. Bryce Harper - Nats: this is tough. It's been pretty quiet on the Harper front.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: they'll get one of the two top guys.

3. A.J. Pollock - Giants??: I don't really know, but that outfield is terrible. I mean so are the Giants, but I have no feel for this.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Angels: Honestly no idea...

5. Craig Kimbrel - Red Sox: this feels inevitable to me. Almost like the JD Martinez signing from last year.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres:sure

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Pirates: they have a super low payroll. Don't really have any guys that demand 600+ PAs other than Marte. Gonzalez can play every day there moving around the diamond and add stability to the roster.

8. Gio Gonzalez - A's: they sorta had a hodge podge group last lear, but should get some guys back from injury. Gonzalez adds some stability.

9. Adam Jones - Indians: Sure, but who cares? I don't think he's all that good anymore.

10. Wade Miley - Brewers: I think this happens. If it's not Miley, I think it's Gio.

11. Jose Iglesias - Brewers: Arcia insurance and maybe some second base to open the season.

12. Josh Harrison - Orioles:?? lol. Sign and flip at the deadline.

Bryce Harper - Washington Nationals

Manny Machado - New York Yankees

Dallas Keuchel - Philadelphia Phillies

Craig Kimbrel - Philadelphia Phillies

A.J. Pollack - Los Angeles Dodgers

Marwin Gonzalez - San Diego Padres

Gio Gonzalez - Houston Astros

Mike Moustakas - Philadelphia Phillies

Wade Miley - Washington Nationals

Adam Jones - Cleveland Indians

Josh Harrison - Los Angeles Angels

Jose Iglesias - Pittsburgh Pirates

If Miley and Marwin ended up as Brewers I would be pumped. I have no idea how that would work payroll wise but if Stearns and Mark thought we had the money than we would be set up so well for this year.

1b - Aguilar/Thames (although you would think he would need to be moved to make salaries work)

2b - Gonzalez/Perez/Spang

SS - Arcia/Perez/Gonzalez

3B - Shaw/Gonzalez

C - Grandal/Pina

OF - Yelich/Cain/Braun/Gamel/Thames

SP - Chacin/Miley/Burnes/Nelson/Peralta/Woodruff/Davies/Anderson (although also seems like he would be gone

RP - Hader/Jeffress/Knebel/a starter or two/Guerra/the lefty they traded for/Williams/Barnes

That would lead to some interesting roster decisions for sure

1. Bryce Harper - Phillies

2. Manny Machado - White Sox

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers

4. Dallas Kuechel - Phillies

5. Craig Kimbrel - Phillies

6. Mike Moustakas - Phillies

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Angels

8. Wade Miley - Brewers or Phillies

9. Josh Harrison - Rays

I omitted a couple that I don't feel like are quality players and will sign minimal deals somewhere. Even Miley and Harrison seem like stretches to include in a top FA list, but I included them as both are noted in Brewers rumors. The Phillies I expect to go a bit nuts obviously. Their lineup is notably right handed, so I think they aim more for Harper than Machado...and bring in Moustakas as a quality bat to add balance.

Bryce Harper - Nationals

Manny Machado - White Sox

Dallas Keuchel - Reds or Phillies

Craig Kimbrel - Red Sox

A.J. Pollock - Dodgers

Marwin Gonzalez - Phillies

Gio Gonzalez - A's

Mike Moustakas - Brewers

Wade Miley - Angels

Adam Jones - Orioles

Josh Harrison - Angels

Jose Iglesias - Mariners

Drew Pomeranz - Giants

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Harper - Nationals retain him.

Machado - Phillies. They're dumb enough to.

Keuchel - Yankees. They're not done just yet.

Kimbral - Padres.

Moustakas - Mariners. Becomes insurance for Seager and a DH.

Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers. Becomes 2B, then joins bench.

Gio Gonzalez - Mets. Joins Thor and DeGrom.

Miley - Brewers. Returns to where he found new life.

Jones - Miami. Becomes mentor to/insurance for Brinson.

Harrison - Pirates. Returns to be a thorn in the Crew's side.

Iglesias - Orioles. Becomes a flip candidate at the deadline.

Of course I have no idea what offers Harper is seeing. But let's assume they're not in that ridiculous mega space he'd assumed. At this point I think his best move is to just go back to WAS on that similar deal he was offered by them before this all started. Try and get yourself an opt out after 2-3 years. Good PR, team is legit good.

Why are several posters suggesting that signing Machado is stupid for the Phillies (or anyone)?

In my opinion, if you are going to sign a player to that kind of contract, he should be a solid ambassador for the game and for your team. Machado isn't even a solid ambassador for himself. Yeah, he's probably going to put up good numbers wherever he goes. He's a top 5 offensive player in the game. But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.

But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.

Brewers fans aren't the only ones who think that.

I know that I mentioned this once before but I have a friend in the L.A. area who is a massive Dodgers fan. He wasn't happy that the Dodgers outbid the Brewers for Machado before the deadline (because he thinks Machado is "a tool"), and later expressed to me how upset he'd be if they re-signed him - regardless of the amount of money. He said that he couldn't stand feeling like he had to root for someone who plays the game like Machado, no matter how good his bat...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I would love to see Harper go to the Angels. Id watch so many Angels games. That would be so fun..plus out of the National League

It would be awesome to watch Trout and Harper, but I don't see it happening. If that dang Pujols contract wasn't weighing them down for another 3 year, then perhaps. I think they will stick with Upton, Trout, and Calhoun as their OF'ers.

Why are several posters suggesting that signing Machado is stupid for the Phillies (or anyone)?

In my opinion, if you are going to sign a player to that kind of contract, he should be a solid ambassador for the game and for your team. Machado isn't even a solid ambassador for himself. Yeah, he's probably going to put up good numbers wherever he goes. He's a top 5 offensive player in the game. But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.

Have you really dug deep into his numbers? You'd probably be surprised even just looking at his 2017 which is obviously very recent. The bold is probably a big overstatement if talking pure offense (not offense for someone who can play SS).

Overall though I think the logic would be that handing out a ridiculous deal fro someone with this attitude concerns could be a problem for the mentioned ambassador stuff but also that he could be the type to take his 200 mil and then his effort curtails. Combine that if you dig into his hitting he's not thaaaaaat crazy good as the reputation is implying.

Whereas Harper to me I don't think that effort thing is a concern at all, he's got that crazy competitive vibe to him.

That said, if all these points are cutting his cost drastically so he's not in that ridiculous world initially discussed then it becomes more palatable. Like that rumored White Sox deal isn't crazy.

The Phillies owner was quoted early in the off-season that they were going to be stupid with some of their money this free agent season...

I would love to see Harper go to the Angels. Id watch so many Angels games. That would be so fun..plus out of the National League

It would be awesome to watch Trout and Harper, but I don't see it happening. If that dang Pujols contract wasn't weighing them down for another 3 year, then perhaps. I think they will stick with Upton, Trout, and Calhoun as their OF'ers.

Agree. And with Ohtani you have DH covered too.

I did see an article trying to narrow down the mystery team on Machado and it made a strong case for the Angels. Could be forgetting something, but essentially move Cozart from 3b to 2b and play Manny at 3rd. I don't think they really have a 2B now. Don't rip me if I'm wrong, going off memory. Then you have Pujols money coming off soon to re-up Trout with. They're still massively weak on pitching but I could see it.

Agree. And with Ohtani you have DH covered too.

I did see an article trying to narrow down the mystery team on Machado and it made a strong case for the Angels. Could be forgetting something, but essentially move Cozart from 3b to 2b and play Manny at 3rd. I don't think they really have a 2B now. Don't rip me if I'm wrong, going off memory. Then you have Pujols money coming off soon to re-up Trout with. They're still massively weak on pitching but I could see it.

They traded for La Stella. Does he count as a 2B?

Have you really dug deep into his numbers? You'd probably be surprised even just looking at his 2017 which is obviously very recent. The bold is probably a big overstatement if talking pure offense (not offense for someone who can play SS).

Overall though I think the logic would be that handing out a ridiculous deal fro someone with this attitude concerns could be a problem for the mentioned ambassador stuff but also that he could be the type to take his 200 mil and then his effort curtails. Combine that if you dig into his hitting he's not thaaaaaat crazy good as the reputation is implying.

Whereas Harper to me I don't think that effort thing is a concern at all, he's got that crazy competitive vibe to him.

That said, if all these points are cutting his cost drastically so he's not in that ridiculous world initially discussed then it becomes more palatable. Like that rumored White Sox deal isn't crazy.

1. I don't think "all of these points are cutting his cost drastically." Call it collusion or just smarter ownership under different constraints but they aren't offering this sort of money to anyone. If he signs a smaller-than-expected deal people will say it's "because he's a douche" which may account for him losing like 5% of his perceived value, but not $160 million instead of $300 million.

2. Replying to the 3 or so people - yes, he's a crappy person on the field (Machado) and very self-absorbed. It could backfire in effort or some sort of PR disaster but to me, I wouldn't blame an organization for paying him a bunch of money to play for their team.

The Angels could probably barely sneak Machado or Harper in under the luxury tax threshold if that is their goal. If it's Harper, they probably wouldn't have a huge problem moving Calhoun for a similarly overpriced 1 year risk at pitcher or just eating a few million and giving him away. Poo Holes can be a part-time guy at 1B and DH. At this point he can't really complain about that role.

Point 1) Yea I could've phrased better, I didn't just mean the things I noted and posters in that thread. I think you're correct and we're on the same page. I mean just everything overall whatever it is, so that if now his deal is in the 150 mil area instead of 300 mil like was though pre-FA (or at least he dreamed of) then it makes signing way more realistic for many. Basically, 10/300 most teams just go absolutely not no way we can do it. get down to 6/160 well OK we can talk.

Archived