Brewer Fanatic

Nick Markakis resigns with Atlanta; 1-year, $6M

reillymcshane

I think this is solid for Atlanta. Allows Camargo to either overtake Swanson as the primary SS or rotate around the field instead of trying to stick him in the OF 4-5x a week. Also keeping Duval as a 4th OF is probably a good move.

The money is hardly anything so it's tough to say this is a bad deal but he totally tanked down the stretch last year. After July his OPS was .725 and he posted sub .700 OPS's in both August and September. The OBP was ok but the power was non-existent. Whether it was decline, being tired, or whatever, his second half numbers are more in line with his blah numbers of the previous 5 seasons than what his overall 2018 looked like.

Like I said, the money isn't much, but he should be a 4th OF now and they could probably get the same production from some 4A guys for peanuts instead.

I thought Atlanta really overpaid for Josh Donaldson, but this is a steal!

He's a pretty solid player. I do want to see if he can get to 3,000 hits. He probably won't, but he's still young enough and close enough that it's a real possibility and something I'm really rooting for.

The money is hardly anything so it's tough to say this is a bad deal but he totally tanked down the stretch last year. After July his OPS was .725 and he posted sub .700 OPS's in both August and September. The OBP was ok but the power was non-existent. Whether it was decline, being tired, or whatever, his second half numbers are more in line with his blah numbers of the previous 5 seasons than what his overall 2018 looked like.

Like I said, the money isn't much, but he should be a 4th OF now and they could probably get the same production from some 4A guys for peanuts instead.

I guess he should never had gone to the all star game. Must have jinxed him. :tongue

He's a pretty solid player. I do want to see if he can get to 3,000 hits. He probably won't, but he's still young enough and close enough that it's a real possibility and something I'm really rooting for.

I went to Baseball Reference because I was confused and thought you had your info wrong. However, TIL that Nick Freaking Markakis has 2237 hits and has averaged 181 a year for 13 years. Has averaged 153 games a year in those 13 seasons. Stunned.

Agree. Wouldn't have thought Markakis would have put up numbers like that. Don't think his union brothers will be too happy with his hometown discount.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/22/nick-markakis-i-play-a-kids-game-and-get-paid-a-lot-of-money-how-can-i-be-disappointed-with-that/

"Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection."

-Red Smith

I went to Baseball Reference because I was confused and thought you had your info wrong. However, TIL that Nick Freaking Markakis has 2237 hits and has averaged 181 a year for 13 years. Has averaged 153 games a year in those 13 seasons. Stunned.

Amazing how many 700+ PA seasons he has at 35. I actually wonder what the record for that is?

*Edit*

He has 11 seasons with 680+ PA :indifferent

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Amazing how many 700+ PA seasons he has at 35. I actually wonder what the record for that is?

*Edit*

Pete Rose had 15 seasons with 700+ PAs.

I don't know if that's a record, but that would be my guess.

*Edit*

Pete Rose had 15 seasons with 700+ PAs.

I don't know if that's a record, but that would be my guess.

I don't have $ Baseball Reference access, but Markakis is at least in the top 10 all time for 680+ PA seasons, as #10 on the list is only nine. I'm guessing you're right that Pete Rose is #1.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Markakis had been a pretty mediocre hitter for 5 straight years, hovering right around a .740 OPS before 2018. Not sure that's what you want out of a 160 game corner outfielder. Like others have said, this isn't a bad deal per se, it's just that he seems extraordinarily easily replaceable. Before 2018, Markakis hadn't had a 2.0 WAR season since 2011, and this is a guy that plays literally almost every single day.

His chase for 3000 hits will be interesting. It's not that I don't think he can reach it, it's will there be any teams willing to give 150 starts for four of five years to a 10 - 12 homerun corner outfielder who might hit .280, doesn't draw a ton of walks, and plays below average defense?

Archived