Brewer Fanatic

Rangers sign Asdrubal Cabrera - 1/$3.5M

KeithStone53151

It is entirely possible that there is some metric out there and points to an offensive decline from Cabrera, which would make him basically useless.

Perhaps they have a deal lined up with Moose, and are waiting to announce it for some reason.

Of course, I could be 100% wrong, and they could feel that Hiura will be up and making a contribution way before I think he will.

Suggests to me they're aiming higher. That's a bargain for a guy whose OPS would likely push .800 and could play as passable 2B. Could be they're after someone whose splits aren't so dramatic. (.824 vs RHP and .646 vs LHP in 2018)

I hope that's the case, because this deal is dirt cheap...

Still fine with saving space for mid season trade or MiLB call up rather than stocking up from the bargain bin
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Still fine with saving space for mid season trade or MiLB call up rather than stocking up from the bargain bin

I really don't think 3.5M spent now is going to make a difference one way or another on 3.5M spent in July.

Of course the shortest line could simply be drawn to Keston Hiura taking over for good June 1 and internal options manning 2b in April / May. It could be that simple now that they spent $18.5 million on Grandal.

It is clear that the Brewers having been working over the FA 2B market very hard this offseason. If Keston is the plan it's Plan Z.

How bad would a defensive 2B have to be for the Brewers to have no interest? They used a 3B at 2B in 2018 who had never before played one inning of the position in a professional league.

A straight-up position switch in the midst of a pennant race no less. It should be noted that while Shaw will likely never be mistaken for a Gold Glover at 2B, his defense there certainly wasn't a detriment to the team. I'd say he exceeded most expectations there.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Is a Moose signing on the table, with Shaw moving to 2B? Will they sign one of the remaining 2Bs still on the market? (Dietrich, Walker, Forsythe, Harrison, Gonzalez, Solarte?) Is there a trade in the works?

Perhaps the Brewers know something about Cory Spangenberg that pegs him as a breakout candidate? The guy is super athletic, and has a solid pedigree.

It is clear that the Brewers having been working over the FA 2B market very hard this offseason. If Keston is the plan it's Plan Z.

I think it's clear that Machado is Plan A... Brewers just waiting for the right time to surprise us all...

Of course the shortest line could simply be drawn to Keston Hiura taking over for good June 1 and internal options manning 2b in April / May. It could be that simple now that they spent $18.5 million on Grandal.

The Brewers work every angle hard. They don't marry themselves to one course. The big move to improve and spend at C might now mean status quo at 2B and Keston now being Plan A. And if Grandal hadn't been added, doing something bigger at 2B could have been the route they went. The bottom line is the Brewers explore all options and never lock themselves into one way of improving the club. My guess now is that it's either go BIG at 2B or simply go KESTON. In between doesn't make sense when someone like Cabrera signs for 3.5 million and its not with Milwaukee.

The bargain guys available in FA might also see the writing on the wall at 2B and see their opportunity in Milwaukee plummeting by midseason. If the money is equal, go where one of the best hitting prospects in the game won't be knocking on the door to take your job.

And how do we know the Brewers have been working over the FA 2B market? Did some of the players/agents that signed already say that the Brewers were in it? Just wondering if I missed something or if you were just going by writers trying to stir up clicks.

I think it's clear that Machado is Plan A... Brewers just waiting for the right time to surprise us all...

I can see it now ... Attanasio is on stage Sunday at Brewers On Deck, and suddenly Uecker comes out pushing a wheelchair with a blanket over the occupant's head. Attanasio pulls off the blanket to reveal ... Manny Machado in a Brewer jersey! A course of cheers and jeers rain down while Attanasio and Manny give the crowd the stink eye ...

Executive Producer: Vince McMahon

And how do we know the Brewers have been working over the FA 2B market? Did some of the players/agents that signed already say that the Brewers were in it? Just wondering if I missed something or if you were just going by writers trying to stir up clicks.

Right. A few offseasons and trade deadlines with Stearns has taught us by now that the Brewers are in the mix on just about everything. They're looking for bargains, value, and upside everywhere. That's how you end up trading for a 3B when the spot is already filled. Looking at all angles, including free agent 2B, does not rule out turning the position over to your #1 prospect once his Super 2 date passes. And the Grandal signing had to have some impact on the remaining paths they're exploring.

There's another factor that shouldn't be overlooked. Since the offseason began and the Brewers charted their many different courses and options, their #1 prospect at one of the big club's weakest positions went out and tore up the Arizona Fall League. They're the only ones who can attest to how much that raised his 2019 MLB feasibility in their minds, but it sure didn't hurt him. We've seen his scouting profile jump considerably since season's end, especially his power. So that's changed since October and the Grandal signing changes dollar allocation as well. The 2Bs they checked on could very easily be less appealing now than they were earlier in the offseason given those 2 developments.

Hiura won't crack the opening day 25, but he could be up as early as mid-April. That's all the longer they have to keep him down to essentially gain a 7th service year out of him. Obviously if that's the plan, they don't really need anything more dramatic than a Perez/Spangenberg platoon for 2 weeks.

Archived