Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke?

iKezims

After the Grandal deal, I highly highly doubt that the Brewers have the cash to make a Grienke trade.

If the Brewers want to do anything major the rest of the off-season I think Thames and/or Anderson need to be dealt first.

In fact, if I had to guess, I would bet Stearns is trying to shed some salary so that he can fix the 2nd base mess.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After the Grandal deal, I highly highly doubt that the Brewers have the cash to make a Grienke trade.

If the Brewers want to do anything major the rest of the off-season I think Thames and/or Anderson need to be dealt first.

In fact, if I had to guess, I would bet Stearns is trying to shed some salary so that he can fix the 2nd base mess.

This idea was pretty much said verbatim before the Grandal deal as well. I didn’t believe it to be the case then, and don’t now. The Brewers don’t operate under a hard cap or budget. If there is value in an acquisition, they’ll make it. There is no evidence otherwise.

I remember Greinke’s fastball velocity being down at the start of last season (high-80’s), but it looks like it bounced back slightly. Still the past two years have been by far the lowest average fastball velocities of his career (fourseam and sinker).

Brooks Baseball Player Card: Zack Greinke

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I would be shocked if this happens. I just don't think the money is there. But someone could legitimately say that Attanasio would only be really, really pushing the payroll for this season, as they will shed Grandal's salary after this season and a good chunk of Braun's money the season after that (still have to pay a notable buyout).

I like Greinke, but I'm not biting on this. If it shows up from a more reputable source, then I'll be interested enough to share my opinion...

Not that anyone cares to hear it of course... :laughing

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

He's owed $95.5 million over the next 3 years, gets $2 million if traded, has salary deferrals of $32.5 million from these 3 years, and has $3 million/season coming for his signing bonus.

Assuming the DBacks would be on the hook for the salary deferrals from 2016-2018, the $2 million trade bonus, and the remaining $9 million of his signing bonus...that leaves $95.5 million owed over the next 3 years (with $32.5 of it deferred). If they agree to cover the deferred money, that would leave $67 million for 3 years. It may be a lot to ask them to take off another $13m to get it to $54m ($18/yr).

He's owed $95.5 million over the next 3 years, gets $2 million if traded, has salary deferrals of $32.5 million from these 3 years, and has $3 million/season coming for his signing bonus.

Assuming the DBacks would be on the hook for the salary deferrals from 2016-2018, the $2 million trade bonus, and the remaining $9 million of his signing bonus...that leaves $95.5 million owed over the next 3 years (with $32.5 of it deferred). If they agree to cover the deferred money, that would leave $67 million for 3 years. It may be a lot to ask them to take off another $13m to get it to $54m ($18/yr).

How is that deferred money spread?

Maybe the Brewers ought to take it on, if it isn't that much per year.

It either lowers what the Brewers would have to send to Arizona, it would allow the Brewers to get a couple of prospects back, or some combo of both...

Mark A could happily pay money... and make the D-Backs pay in other ways (prospects).

I see no problem with taking on Greinke's full salary, provided Arizona hands over C Andy Yerzy, 1B Pavin Smith, LHP Alex Young, and OF Jake McCarthy.

The Diamondbacks have parted with prospects in the past to get rid of a contract. But I don't think that would be what they want to do now. After losing Goldy and probably Pollack, I assume they are going to keep every prospect and shoot for two years down the line.

Based on what I know of that guy and his profile, I really doubt he has any inside knowledge at all. I'm calling BS on this as well.

That is likely. But ... at least it is something to talk about in January. Say what you want about the HH fiasco a year ago, at least it kept things really interesting for a few months.

First tweet was from his buddy saying "We got them to talk about it on the radio, lol"

Cmon, there was a Greinke thread already, nothing wrong with talking about a potential trade no matter how unlikely it is. But giving this guy the satisfaction of a whole thread about him is exactly what he wants. At least HH made it sound convincing for a while.

Lock it up. Burn it down. Get rid of this thread. Duped again!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived