Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke?

iKezims

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I saw some Brewers bloggers retweeting this, which caught my attention for a second. BUT, there's just no way that this makes sense, right? Even if the Dbacks kicked in 35M, that would still be like us adding ZG for what would amount to a 3 year, 70M deal. No way we are throwing that type of money at a 35 year old pitcher. I'm calling BS on this tweet.

No idea who this guy is an probably merit-less and I feel bad giving it attention since I don't know who he is but it's the offseason so...

https://twitter.com/Simplekindoffan/status/1087441169993355268

This is how the HH situation got started and spiraled. Fun to speculate, but probably shouldn't take it any further than this. I suppose, if this deal was in fact true, is it something Brewer Fans would like?

The Dbacks owe $95.5M over the next 3 years to Greinke, there are also $62.5M in deferrals over the life of the contract to be paid out from 2022-2026. Not an argument either way, just information to add to the discussion.

I edited the $65.5M to $95.5M, even CPA's can make simple math errors.....

Yeah, I saw some Brewers bloggers retweeting this, which caught my attention for a second. BUT, there's just no way that this makes sense, right? Even if the Dbacks kicked in 35M, that would still be like us adding ZG for what would amount to a 3 year, 70M deal. No way we are throwing that type of money at a 35 year old pitcher. I'm calling BS on this tweet.

In all seriousness, Brewers On Deck is 6 days away. Based on past experience, I fully expect the Brewers to make a move this week. This team's media contingent and social media presence is ultra-cheesy like that.

Oh I agree, but given where our current payroll is sitting and the teams needs, I would think that paying $20M+ a year for an aged/aging pitcher is not Stearns idea of a good value. Now if he wants to sign Marwin Gonzalez and a mid rotation arm like Miley/Suckholz/Gonzalez/Pomeranz to a team friendly deal, I would kinda really like that...

If it was 2011 Greinke then sure. Or a true ace level pitcher (IDK say Kluber as a somewhat available guy) now I could see them 'overspending' if they think that's the last piece needed. But for current Greinke it just doesn't make sense.

Well Greinke did basically call Grandal the perfect catcher. A reunion on the horizon? Seems very unlikely with the financials involved, but it also wouldn’t be the first time a move came out of left field.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Well Greinke did basically call Grandal the perfect catcher. A reunion on the horizon? Seems very unlikely with the financials involved, but it also wouldn’t be the first time a move came out of left field.

Well, no one really saw the Grandal move coming. Stearns really seems to enjoy operating in the shadows when it comes to player interest and potential moves.

No idea who this guy is an probably merit-less and I feel bad giving it attention since I don't know who he is but it's the offseason so...

https://twitter.com/Simplekindoffan/status/1087441169993355268

He's a pretty prominent member of #BrewersTwitter, and has (not recently) "broken" news before. It's easy to be dismissive, but take it for what you think it's worth.

If it was 2011 Greinke then sure. Or a true ace level pitcher (IDK say Kluber as a somewhat available guy) now I could see them 'overspending' if they think that's the last piece needed. But for current Greinke it just doesn't make sense.

Obviously age and the potential decline associated with that is piss le....but Greinke was pretty good last year. An All Star and honestly still an ace. You are pretty darn generous if you are projecting two of our guys to be better than him next year. You could argue he would be our Ace.

That being said the financials and his age are way to complicated for our current payroll structure.

Archived