Brewer Fanatic

Adam Jones?

Adam Jones is still sitting out there as a free agent. Does he bring a redundant skillset to what Cain brings? Well, yes. But ... while his bat isn't what it once was, it is still a potent RH option, and he would provide coverage throughout all three OF positions when Braun faces his inevitable injury concerns. I'm concerned how this lineup matches up against lefties, especially if Moose is eventually resigned, and Jones would counteract those concerns. He could split time in RF with Gamel during Braun injuries, and see plenty of time as a #4/5 OF and dangerous pinch hitter.

Now because he'd be an absolute luxury, he'd have to come cheap. But there hasn't been much talk out there on him, so you never know, right? Honestly if I were running the Indians, I would have signed him already. That OF once again is looking poor.

Yea seems perfect fit for Cle. However, I think he declined trades at the deadline due to wanting to stay in Baltimore due to his family, kids etc. So, maybe he's waiting to see what happens with Harper, assuming he doesn't go back to Was then Jones could sign there. Or maybe if Philly misses Harper, Jones could go to Philly. Also very close to home.

Overall I agree with your sentiment on someone is likely going to get a very cheap deal on a good player here, I just don't see it for MKE. Yelich doesn't have bad splits for lefties so there really isn't an OF need vs lefties other than when Braun is injured.

I personally have less than 0 interest in Adam Jones, and I would think no contender should want him either. I was very turned off last trade deadline that he wasn't willing to approve a trade to a contender. Any true competitor that values winning should want to be traded to a team that thinks said player will help their chances of winning the World Series. He comes off to me as a guy that wants to comfortably grind out a couple more years worth of paychecks before retiring, and winning/success comes second. Hardest of passes, I don't even want that type of player on a minor league deal.

Jeeze seems a bit a harsh. How about spinning it as being loyal to a team he's been on 10 years and actually valuing his family. These are humans after all. I deal with people in my work who won't travel for the work week because of being away from the family, let alone being gone 4 months at a time.

Guy demands trade due to team sucking, then he's a POS. If he stays on losing team he's a POS. Can't win either way.

Interesting idea JMB, and I was surprised to see that Jones actually has had reverse splits - career .791 OPS v RHP & .728 v LHP. So he might not be the best option to cover the RH batting side of platoon duties.

EDIT: Another idea - Carlos Gomez? He also doesn't set the world on fire against lefties, and obviously didn't hit well last season. But I wonder if he might be a good roll of the dice. He found his groove again with the Rangers, and I wonder if coming back to a familiar place in Miller Park might help him. Just a thought.

Austin Jackson is another buy-low RH OF option to think about. And Chris Young actually has a strong split in favor of LH pitching.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jones defensive metrics as a centerfielder have really fallen off the last few years. Obviously the eyeball test might say otherwise, but if just going by the numbers, at this point he'd have to be considered a poor defensive centerfielder. He is only about a .315 OBP guy, and his HR production fell from the usual high 20's to just 15 last year.

I'm guessing the Brewers carry 13 pitchers for about 80% of the season. Unlike the old days, they don't have many off days early in the year, so they could start with 13 pitchers right from the start. That would most likely limit them to 4 outfielders with Perez and Thames moving out there when needed. So the backup outfielder is likely Gamel, who does have an option left. If Jones is added that kicks Gamel to MiLB to start the season, and also takes Gamel's lefty bat out of the equation which IMO would be a pretty big deal...although less of a big deal if the plan is to begin the season with Spangenberg as the everyday 2B.

I just don't see Jones as being a good fit for Milwaukee. Maybe 15 years ago when 12 pitchers was the max number and 5 outfielders was the norm. IMO his production just isn't good enough anymore for the Brewers to use an outfield roster spot on him.

I personally have less than 0 interest in Adam Jones, and I would think no contender should want him either. I was very turned off last trade deadline that he wasn't willing to approve a trade to a contender. Any true competitor that values winning should want to be traded to a team that thinks said player will help their chances of winning the World Series. He comes off to me as a guy that wants to comfortably grind out a couple more years worth of paychecks before retiring, and winning/success comes second. Hardest of passes, I don't even want that type of player on a minor league deal.

While I certainly understand that concern, there may be other reasons at play, too. Its certainly possible that he wasn't interested in getting moved to a different team only to play a bit role. I know that the Phillies have several former Baltimore front office people on their staff as well, so perhaps there was some bad blood there?

Just saying that in my opinion he makes sense as a guy that can feasibly replace the RH production lost by trading Broxton and Santana. I suppose the state of the OF depth depends on how they view the futures of Tyrone Taylor, Troy Stokes and Corey Ray.

I've always shied away from Jones because he just sucks at OBP. Always has always will. Same reason I never have been a big fan of Moustakas... I'd much rather have high OBP guys on the bench than aging no OBP guys. If the Brewers want to sign another OF for depth (esp. if the move Thames), they should really re-up Curtis Granderson...

Jeeze seems a bit a harsh. How about spinning it as being loyal to a team he's been on 10 years and actually valuing his family. These are humans after all. I deal with people in my work who won't travel for the work week because of being away from the family, let alone being gone 4 months at a time.

Guy demands trade due to team sucking, then he's a POS. If he stays on losing team he's a POS. Can't win either way.

It is harsh, I understand his reasons for wanting to stay, and he's certainly earned the right. For me it just says a lot about how much winning and success matters to him at this point. I'll add that not traveling for work at an office type job is a bit different than this situation, especially considering it's a 2-3 month situation at most. It's absolutely fine that he values his family/personal situations highly, but to be blunt...winning and success then aren't his top priorities(kinda like Pujols top priorities became donuts and not working out), and if I'm a GM...I want a player that values winning and personal success. I will add it would be slightly different if he was still a fringe all-star caliber player, but he isn't anymore. He's mediocre at the plate and is getting worse and worse in CF. Fangraphs has him at 0.5 WAR last year and 1.7 the prior year and he's 33.

One additional edit I'll add, being an MLB player isn't for people that want to coast at a cushy job and come home everyday after a 9-5. The select few get the priviledge of getting paid millions and millions of dollars to play a kid's game. If he wants to put family first, good for him. He can step aside and there will be 100 other guys similarly talented and ready to take his place...all of whom will put winning and being the very best at their craft first and foremost.

I'll also add, I know I'm more harsh on stuff like this than most. I prefer players that want to win, want to put in the work, want to be the best. That's why I'm so high on guys like Nelson and Nottingham, and less high on guys like Miley and Jones. I'm sure I'll be wrong on some guys for reasons like these, but that's just my opinion.

I've always shied away from Jones because he just sucks at OBP. Always has always will. Same reason I never have been a big fan of Moustakas... I'd much rather have high OBP guys on the bench than aging no OBP guys. If the Brewers want to sign another OF for depth (esp. if the move Thames), they should really re-up Curtis Granderson...

I think the deal for Gamel doomed any chance of a Granderson reunion. If the Brewers are simply looking for a reserve OF who can give them a good AB and get on base at a decent clip, Melky Cabrera is still sitting out there.

We already have Thames on the bench, so I don't think we need another OF who is stronger vs RHP.

Gamel has even platoon splits so he is probably our coverage in the event of an injury, but if we were going to sign somebody I would look at Brandon Guyer.

2016-2018 splits

Eric Thames vs. RHP - 128 wRC+

Brandon Guyer vs. RHP - 62 wRC+

Eric Thames vs. LHP - 69 wRC+

Brandon Guyer vs. LHP - 131 wRC+

Archived