Brewer Fanatic

Hiura top 2nd base prospect in baseball

markedman5

San Diego’s system looks stacked. Four of the top ten LHP prospects amongst others.

Yeah, it's seriously ridiculous. They'll probably have 11-12 in the top 100, and it won't be a Cubs/Yankees situation...all will truly be deserving. Add that to a number of young guys already at the MLB level. I'm honestly a bit surprised they didn't find a way to make a big FA add, they could crank up and start working towards legit contending as soon as this year.

Does this solidify him as a top 10 prospect in baseball? That 60 power is a bit surprising. I thought they'd go 50. Maybe 55.

It probably depends on how various ranking systems classify prospects. I've felt for quite a while that there won't be 5 players ranked ahead of him on these lists who aren't likely to open 2019 with their big league clubs. Guys like Jimenez, Vlad Jr., etc will still be considered prospects but should be in Opening Day starting lineups - if they aren't it's due only to egregious service time manipulation.

I'd be shocked if Hiura falls outside of the top 15 prospects headed into Spring Training.

San Diego’s system looks stacked. Four of the top ten LHP prospects amongst others.

Yeah, it's seriously ridiculous. They'll probably have 11-12 in the top 100, and it won't be a Cubs/Yankees situation...all will truly be deserving. Add that to a number of young guys already at the MLB level. I'm honestly a bit surprised they didn't find a way to make a big FA add, they could crank up and start working towards legit contending as soon as this year.

At this point the Padres' system should be ridiculous - they've been essentially drafting in the top 5 forever and have been doing nothing but trading away anyone worth anything at the MLB level. Yet they still signed Hosmer to that stupid deal last winter. System-wise, they are where the Royals were right after the Greinke trade to the Brewers in terms of having a ton of potential impact players in their system. It bears remembering that it took the Royals trading away a handful of those guys to fill out a pitching staff and eventually win a title, all before it slowly crumbled apart again because many of those ballyhooed prospects never became perennial MLB all stars.

At this point the Padres' system should be ridiculous - they've been essentially drafting in the top 5 forever and have been doing nothing but trading away anyone worth anything at the MLB level. Yet they still signed Hosmer to that stupid deal last winter. System-wise, they are where the Royals were right after the Greinke trade to the Brewers in terms of having a ton of potential impact players in their system. It bears remembering that it took the Royals trading away a handful of those guys to fill out a pitching staff and eventually win a title, all before it slowly crumbled apart again because many of those ballyhooed prospects never became perennial MLB all stars.

All fair points, though in this case...the Padres are actually ridiculously loaded with pitching prospects. Of those top 100 prospects, a number of them won't reach potential...but some are bound to be all star or better. It's also not a realistic plan to try and go from 65 wins to 90 wins in one year, I would think the Padres should start the process of incrementally getting better and working towards contention.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Does this solidify him as a top 10 prospect in baseball? That 60 power is a bit surprising. I thought they'd go 50. Maybe 55.

I've read some hints of this going back to last summer. Scouts/analysts have been noting that there was more power in Hiura's bat than people realized. I think his showing at the AFL only confirmed their beliefs.

...... It's also not a realistic plan to try and go from 65 wins to 90 wins in one year, I would think the Padres should start the process of incrementally getting better and working towards contention.

Which would be logical other than the Hosmer signing.

Hiura is ranked 20th by MLB.com.

And the only Brewer in the Top 100. :(

I found it interesting that the Marlins don't have one player ranked in the Top 100 from their trades of Yelich, Stanton, and Ozuna.

I thought Ray could of been in the 75-100 area, but I didn’t think anyone else would crack the top 100.

Some of the prospects have some promise and a couple had solid seasons, but for what they gave up, they need multiple guys to make an impact at the MLB level. Realmuto is all they have left to help replenish their minors with high end talent. Not a good place to be with a poor MLB product and a poor farm system.

Seems low. I cant say I know anything about the 19 guys ahead of him, though.

It is low if the standard is likelihood of being a successful major leaguer. 19 is a product of the position he plays. More value placed on starting pitching and shortstops especially. There are few ranked ahead of him I'd bet on having more success.

It is, but that's fine...there aren't 10 guys on that list I'd rather have than Hiura, which is pretty good following his 1st full season in the minors.

It would be nice if we'd have a few more to join him, but honestly there are several teams that shouldn't have any prospects listed in the top 100 but mlb.com probably felt like they had to be inclusive of the whole league for clickbait.

It is low if the standard is likelihood of being a successful major leaguer. 19 is a product of the position he plays. More value placed on starting pitching and shortstops especially. There are few ranked ahead of him I'd bet on having more success.

I would place a large amount of money that Vlad Jr, Tatis Jr, Eloy, Whitley, Robles, Franco, and Kirilloff all have better careers than Huira, and the others in the top 20 probably have bigger upsides - but more boom or bust. Huira isn't getting as much (taking this with a grain of salt as Top 20 is pretty freakin good anyway) prospect love, because he plays 2b.

I would place a large amount of money that Vlad Jr, Tatis Jr, Eloy, Whitley, Robles, Franco, and Kirilloff all have better careers than Huira, and the others in the top 20 probably have bigger upsides - but more boom or bust. Huira isn't getting as much (taking this with a grain of salt as Top 20 is pretty freakin good anyway) prospect love, because he plays 2b.

I think you just re-stated what I said. There are few ranked ahead of him I'd bet on and his seemingly low ranking is due to position. Hooray for agreement!

Archived