Brewer Fanatic

Blue tooth help needed

Patrick425

Searched for the techno geek thread but could not find it.

My wife had award points at work and used them to get a Sony sound bar that we were hoping to hook up wirelessly to our new Sharp-Roku TV. We are not having luck and by doing some searching it appears that Roku TVs can only connect wirelessly to Roku wireless speakers. Is this correct? Sounds like you can also only connect the Sony soundbar wirelessly to a Sony TV. If this is correct then I'll probably move this to the "What's bugging me" thread. Seriously, bluetooth is not just a universal function??

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Bluetooth is a standard, and I have not heard of any vendor putting proprietary limits on what can connect -- but I could be wrong.

Troubleshooting steps:

1) Can you see the bluetooth device (soundbar) when you scan for bluetooth connections via your phone or laptop?

2) What about when you scan for bluetooth devices from the TV?

3) Can you connect the soundbar to your phone via bluetooth and play music?

4) Nothing else can connect to a device via bluetooth once something is connected. So if your phone or laptop is connected you will need to turn off bluetooth (and forget that device) to make sure it can connect to your TV

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Searched for the techno geek thread but could not find it.

My wife had award points at work and used them to get a Sony sound bar that we were hoping to hook up wirelessly to our new Sharp-Roku TV. We are not having luck and by doing some searching it appears that Roku TVs can only connect wirelessly to Roku wireless speakers. Is this correct? Sounds like you can also only connect the Sony soundbar wirelessly to a Sony TV. If this is correct then I'll probably move this to the "What's bugging me" thread. Seriously, bluetooth is not just a universal function??

Are you sure your TV has bluetooth? Sounds like it only has WiFi connectivity I am thinking the wireless you are talking about for the Roku speakers are connected through WiFi and not bluetooth.

Might want to check your TV specs and see if it has bluetooth capability from what I could find online it doesn't look like most Roku TV's have bluetooth as a component.

Sony does have some funky things going on with audio compatibility. My buddy has a Sony TV and soundbar and he has issues with it working with his satellite TV signal. There are at least two types of audio output from his satellite receiver, and Sony TVs can't decode one of them. And if he changes the audio volume from the satellite receiver his TV drops the audio signal and has to turn off the soundbar for a while to reconnect.

Sony used to make great products but not anymore.

Kind of a dumb question, but did you do an internet search on the issue? That's how I figured out the issue with my buddy's TV system.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

The sound bar we got is a Sony soundbar and the quick setup instructions just show how to connect with wires. When you go to the more detailed manual there are instructions for connecting via bluetooth, but the odd thing is it states something like "Connecting via bluetooth to your Sony TV", which made me wonder if it will not connect wirelessly to a non-Sony TV.

The TV we have is a Sharp Roku TV. In the settings there is a function to search for devices and speakers. I assumed it was doing this via Bluetooth. It searches for about 5 minutes and can't find the speaker. When I google the situation, I see things that suggest that Roku TVs can only connect to Roku speakers, but its not completely clear if that is true. Now that I look up the TV under connectivity it shows Network Compatibility: Built-in Wi-Fi, Ethernet. So, I'm guessing that may mean it does not have Bluetooth connectivity. Rats.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It searches for about 5 minutes and can't find the speaker.

Many bluetooth devices don't broadcast or receive connection signals all the time. Sometimes you just need to make sure they are both "broadcasting" at the same time (usually during power up they will by default). Try getting your TV ready to find the speaker and activate it's 5 minute search, then power cycle your Sony speakers and see if the TV "sees" the speakers. If that doesn't work, follow the instructions on the Sony to Connect to Sony TV, then activate the TV to search for speakers. If neither of those work, then there is likely a bluetooth incompatibility issue...

It searches for about 5 minutes and can't find the speaker.

Many bluetooth devices don't broadcast or receive connection signals all the time. Sometimes you just need to make sure they are both "broadcasting" at the same time (usually during power up they will by default). Try getting your TV ready to find the speaker and activate it's 5 minute search, then power cycle your Sony speakers and see if the TV "sees" the speakers. If that doesn't work, follow the instructions on the Sony to Connect to Sony TV, then activate the TV to search for speakers. If neither of those work, then there is likely a bluetooth incompatibility issue...

That's exactly what I initially did several times. No luck.

Archived