Brewer Fanatic

Granderson News

TURBO

Just some news on him, nothing more...

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Curtis Granderson fully intends to continue his playing career in 2019.

There have been some whispers about retirement over the past couple of years, but Granderson isn't ready to walk away just yet. However, like many free agents around the game, he's still waiting for the right offer. Granderson turns 38 in March and batted .241/.351/.431 with 13 home runs over 403 plate appearances between the Blue Jays and Brewers in 2018. He could make for a useful left-handed bat for someone, most likely in a bench role.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on TwitterJan 15 - 3:22 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

He was nice to have around last year. Not sure I want to sign him though.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we trade Thames, then we could look at Granderson or somebody just like him. Until then, there isn't any room on the roster/payroll. We aren't going to outright cut Thames for nothing before the season even starts.

I'd certainly love to bring him in as a non-roster ST invitee though. He would be ideal for that.

He can sign with a non-contender and maybe the Brewers can trade for him again at the waiver deadline so they don't need to tray and roster him all season. He's useful as a pinch hitter and spot starter, but not until rosters expand.

Not that I didn't enjoy Granderson's time here, but bn my opinion this team already skews very lefty-heavy, especially if Gamel gets most of the playing time during Braun's injuries. It will be even more demonstrative if Moose is resigned, or someone like Dietrich is signed to share time at 2B. I think if they grab a reserve OF, he's likely to be a RH batter.

Not that I didn't enjoy Granderson's time here, but bn my opinion this team already skews very lefty-heavy, especially if Gamel gets most of the playing time during Braun's injuries. It will be even more demonstrative if Moose is resigned, or someone like Dietrich is signed to share time at 2B. I think if they grab a reserve OF, he's likely to be a RH batter.

Agreed. I would have liked Granderson had we not brought in Gamel. He could have filled that 4th OF/LH bench bat role.

This is why I want Gonzalez, Cabrera or Solarte. Send Spangenberg down to AAA and keep Thames. A right handed bench bat with pop would be redundant with Aguilar and Braun and Perez--so it would be difficult to find a place for him to spot start in place of Braun/Aggie. Still, you aren't wrong. A switch hitter would be perfect.

Solarte had a bad year last year, but that's what would make him cheap. And he can play everywhere, probably better than Cabrera could.

Archived