Brewer Fanatic

Do we have an idea about the 2019 AAA rotation

ebmackenzie

Is it going to be Zack Brown, Cameron Roegner, Trey Supak, Aaron Wilkerson and either Derby or Jankins??? Maybe Diplan?

ideas?

That looks about right to me. Might see one of them bumped to AA for Freddy Peralta if we sign somebody. Also an outside chance we bring in a veteran on a minor league deal that would be willing to accept an assignment to AAA.

I would think hope that Braden Webb might possibly make the jump. I imagine he'll start in Biloxi, though, with an eye toward a mid-season promotion. I think Diplan will be given the chance to start, but will ultimately end up in the pen. They also have guys like Cody Ponce, Conor Harbor and even Aaron Ashby if he continues to mow down minor league hitters.

I think Brown and Supak are the top of the heap when it comes to refined starting pitching prospects. Roegner had great numbers last year, but I wonder if it was smoke and mirrors. Jankins is intriguing, as is Derby. Wilkerson will be lucky to keep his 40-man spot going into the season. He's gotta be pretty low on the totem pole.

I think Brown and Supak are the only locks. Given how many candidates there are for the big league rotation, they could end up with, at least to start the season, Davies, Peralta, Brown, Supak and Wilkerson. If someone other than Brown or Supak from the AA rotation get a spot, I’d guess it would be Harber or Webb over Diplan or Roegner who weren’t as effective in AA. If Diplan is in AAA, I am guessing it is in the bullpen. Hankins is a possibility, but I have got a feeling he repeats.

Not exactly sure why we are still messing around with Wilkerson...

He hasn’t looked great in the MLB but he’s done extremely well in AAA, while calling Colorado Springs home. He also has only pitched in a total of 6 MLB games. Clearly the org likes what they’ve seen at AAA and think he can eventually help the big league team in some capacity.

Not exactly sure why we are still messing around with Wilkerson...

He hasn’t looked great in the MLB but he’s done extremely well in AAA, while calling Colorado Springs home. He also has only pitched in a total of 6 MLB games. Clearly the org likes what they’ve seen at AAA and think he can eventually help the big league team in some capacity.

Yea, AAA has never been a place strictly for prospects. You need some guys to round out the team.

Someone from this list of starters could easily end up in the AA or AAA bullpen.

Something I forgot....I have to think that If Nelson comes back anything close to his former self, that Davies and/or Peralta have their options used and spend some time in AAA too with Chacin, ChaseA, FPeralta/Davies, Burnes joining Nelson in the bigs.

Is it going to be Zack Brown, Cameron Roegner, Trey Supak, Aaron Wilkerson and either Derby or Jankins??? Maybe Diplan?

ideas?

I'm guessing Peralta, Brown, Supak, Wilkerson, Derby with others in a revolving door (ie Ponce). Diplan, Webb, Roegner start in AA. Diplan was 3yrs young for AA so it makes sense for him to start there and that's been his career path thus far as well. Webb and Roegner just don't have many AA starts/innings to begin with. All 3 of them should pitch in AAA at some point most likely.

I see no reason to have Davies in AAA unless he's injured and pitching poorly like 2018. If he's healthy he's in the MLB rotation with new acquisition, Nelson, Chacin, Chase. That keeps Burnes, Woodruff, Guerra (and Peralta when 13 pitchers) in that critical versatility role. This makes the team very talented and very deep.

ideas?

I'm guessing Peralta, Brown, Supak, Wilkerson, Derby with others in a revolving door (ie Ponce). Diplan, Webb, Roegner start in AA. Diplan was 3yrs young for AA so it makes sense for him to start there and that's been his career path thus far as well. Webb and Roegner just don't have many AA starts/innings to begin with. All 3 of them should pitch in AAA at some point most likely.

I see no reason to have Davies in AAA unless he's injured and pitching poorly like 2018. If he's healthy he's in the MLB rotation with new acquisition, Nelson, Chacin, Chase. That keeps Burnes, Woodruff, Guerra (and Peralta when 13 pitchers) in that critical versatility role. This makes the team very talented and very deep.

The Brewers have already said that Burnes will be a starter in 2019. Obviously that can change, but he is one of the very few (Hader and Guerra being the others) where there is definitive proof of what their role on the pitching staff will be.

I'm guessing Peralta, Brown, Supak, Wilkerson, Derby with others in a revolving door (ie Ponce). Diplan, Webb, Roegner start in AA.

This is the closest to where I'd land at the moment, and as wildcat mentioned, Burch Smith is going to be a factor as well in some fashion.

It's also not out of the realm of possibility that Nelson and/or Guerra and/or Davies wind up in AAA to begin the year. All have options remaining and Nelson still doesn't have enough service time to reject the option. In fact I'd guess at least one of them does start in AAA unless there's a rash of injuries in spring training.

It's also important to remember that the Brewers are moving away from defined starter/reliever roles, so some spots in the AAA rotation may work similarly to how they do piggybacking in the lower minor leagues.

Best current guess at a AAA staff, assuming Nelson/Davies/Guerra start with the big club:

3-6 inning pitchers: Zack Brown, Bubba Derby, Freddy Peralta, Burch Smith, Trey Supak, Aaron Wilkerson, one of Zach Davies/Junior Guerra/Jimmy Nelson

1-2 inning pitchers: Tristan Archer, Deolis Guerra, Jon Olczak, Jake Petricka, Miguel Sanchez, Bobby Wahl

I'm guessing Peralta, Brown, Supak, Wilkerson, Derby with others in a revolving door (ie Ponce). Diplan, Webb, Roegner start in AA.

This is the closest to where I'd land at the moment, and as wildcat mentioned, Burch Smith is going to be a factor as well in some fashion.

It's also not out of the realm of possibility that Nelson and/or Guerra and/or Davies wind up in AAA to begin the year. All have options remaining and Nelson still doesn't have enough service time to reject the option. In fact I'd guess at least one of them does start in AAA unless there's a rash of injuries in spring training.

It's also important to remember that the Brewers are moving away from defined starter/reliever roles, so some spots in the AAA rotation may work similarly to how they do piggybacking in the lower minor leagues.

Best current guess at a AAA staff, assuming Nelson/Davies/Guerra start with the big club:

3-6 inning pitchers: Zack Brown, Bubba Derby, Freddy Peralta, Burch Smith, Trey Supak, Aaron Wilkerson, one of Zach Davies/Junior Guerra/Jimmy Nelson

1-2 inning pitchers: Tristan Archer, Deolis Guerra, Jon Olczak, Jake Petricka, Miguel Sanchez, Bobby Wahl

Guerra has already been told he's in the pen so I think he's 100% on the MLB team in that versatile role. I can't see Davies starting in AAA when he's healthy. Nelson makes the most sense given he's coming off the injury so depending how his spring goes it might be best for him to start in AAA.

Joey Bombs mentioned it above you but I've never seen or heard Burnes being told he already has a rotation spot. If that's the case then, because of the injury, it might make sense to flip him and Nelson putting Nelson in the versatile role giving him a season to get his footing back while still making an impact.

Depending on roster construction at the MLB level there's also guys like T. Williams and Barnes that need innings in AAA

I vaguely remember the comments about Burnes. CC and Stearns said that Burnes is still viewed as a starting pitcher. That doesn't necessarily guarantee him a rotation spot though. I imagine there will be some level of competition for the last spot or two between quite a few guys. Burnes could be moved to the bullpen if Woodruff/Peralta outpitch him in spring...and I suppose there's an outside chance he gets sent to AAA to stay stretched out for the inevitable injury.

Wilkerson is a solid option. Most guys that can do as well as him in AAA simply need reps in MLB. He hasn't gotten many options. Perhaps he'll be one of the yo-yo guys between Milwaukee and San Antonio this year

If Nelson is ready to go on Opening Day, then how are Burnes and Peralta not at AAA to start the season?

Chacin, Anderson, Davies, Woodruff and Nelson are the favorites for the rotation, and it makes no sense to relegate Burnes or Peralta to the bullpen rather than let him develop more as starters. Unless they go with a six-man rotation to start the season, which is very possible.

If Nelson is ready to go on Opening Day, then how are Burnes and Peralta not at AAA to start the season?

Chacin, Anderson, Davies, Woodruff and Nelson are the favorites for the rotation, and it makes no sense to relegate Burnes or Peralta to the bullpen rather than let him develop more as starters. Unless they go with a six-man rotation to start the season, which is very possible.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that Nelson will get thrown into the rotation opening day, or that Davies/Woodruff get spots over Burnes/Peralta. I know it seems like Davies SHOULD get the spot, but he's also a back of the rotation soft tossing RHP...pitchers like that shouldn't be blocking someone like Burnes in my opinion. I could understand putting Peralta in AAA to work on some things, but I can't see Davies getting a spot over Burnes.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that Nelson will get thrown into the rotation opening day, or that Davies/Woodruff get spots over Burnes/Peralta. I know it seems like Davies SHOULD get the spot, but he's also a back of the rotation soft tossing RHP...pitchers like that shouldn't be blocking someone like Burnes in my opinion. I could understand putting Peralta in AAA to work on some things, but I can't see Davies getting a spot over Burnes.

Since Nelson and Davoes still have options... they could be sent to AAA.

Nelson could get back into shape there (the long layoff will likely mean he needs time to shake off the rust).

Davies... I'm not opposed to sending him to AAA if a Chacin-Anderson-Burnes-Woodruff-Peralta rotation is the best the Crew can send out. He did miss a lot of 2018...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the rotation will be Tomlin, Houser, B.Smith. Gotta believe Z.Brown has earned a spot. Wilkerson & Derby in the mix. Supak had a little over a half season at AA, so maybe he returns back to AA to start the season. They have been relatively slow to promote him in the past.

Now I wonder if the big three will all make the majors to start the season. I thought for sure Peralta would be back to AAA to work on his control.

So, the rotation will be Tomlin, Houser, B.Smith. Gotta believe Z.Brown has earned a spot. Wilkerson & Derby in the mix. Supak had a little over a half season at AA, so maybe he returns back to AA to start the season. They have been relatively slow to promote him in the past.

Now I wonder if the big three will all make the majors to start the season. I thought for sure Peralta would be back to AAA to work on his control.

Are we sure Tomlin can be stashed in AAA?

Archived