Brewer Fanatic

Dallas Keuchel

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I still would not mind a 1 or 2 year deal believe it will help the brewers reach their goal of the WS

I agree. We are probably as close as we’ll get to a WS for the foreseeable future. Our window is short... spend the cash and go for it all!

And you base this on what? I'm genuinely curious.

The fact that Yelich is a FA after this year? Or that Shaw is? Or that we'll be losing Knebel, Jeffress, Wahl, Hader, Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Nelson next year?

This idea that our window is closing is just fake. I can see the argument that we're close and were a game away from the WS last year, but that has nothing to do with the false narrative that our window is closing.

The window is likely through 2022, or the end of Yelich's contract. Yeah, you are going to lose some of the older guys during that stretch to regression, like Braun and Cain, but the core of the team is young enough that you are getting their prime years during that window. This team was built incredibly sustainably.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. We are probably as close as we’ll get to a WS for the foreseeable future. Our window is short... spend the cash and go for it all!

And you base this on what? I'm genuinely curious.

The fact that Yelich is a FA after this year? Or that Shaw is? Or that we'll be losing Knebel, Jeffress, Wahl, Hader, Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Nelson next year?

This idea that our window is closing is just fake. I can see the argument that we're close and were a game away from the WS last year, but that has nothing to do with the false narrative that our window is closing.

The window is likely through 2022, or the end of Yelich's contract. Yeah, you are going to lose some of the older guys during that stretch to regression, like Braun and Cain, but the core of the team is young enough that you are getting their prime years during that window. This team was built incredibly sustainably.

Yes, that’s 3 years after this season. That’s a short window in my opinion. If they don’t think this year is “the” year, that’s fine (although I’d argue against signing Grandal then), but whatever year is determined to be “the” year, extra money should be spent to get the last missing piece(s).

I think you can use urgency of being a contender now as justification for over-spending. You just can't use it as justification for trading away prospects who are crucial to your future success, because that's a self-fulfilling prophecy (i.e., making moves like that is the main reason your window won't be open long in the first place).

If Cain declines, that is a pretty huge loss. Chacin could be priced out of their market when his deal is up. Grandal could be gone. A lot of other guys are solid as part of a deep lineup, but none of them have emerged as true stalwarts like Cain and Yelich at the top of the order. Hiura could replace Cain's bat, but Cain's CF defense is a huge part of his value.

I think it's fair to point out that nothing is guaranteed and you should pounce on a chance to contend now, even though they are pretty well situated for a long run of averaging ~90 wins.

I think you can use urgency of being a contender now as justification for over-spending. You just can't use it as justification for trading away prospects who are crucial to your future success, because that's a self-fulfilling prophecy (i.e., making moves like that is the main reason your window won't be open long in the first place).

If Cain declines, that is a pretty huge loss. Chacin could be priced out of their market when his deal is up. Grandal could be gone. A lot of other guys are solid as part of a deep lineup, but none of them have emerged as true stalwarts like Cain and Yelich at the top of the order. Hiura could replace Cain's bat, but Cain's CF defense is a huge part of his value.

I think it's fair to point out that nothing is guaranteed and you should pounce on a chance to contend now, even though they are pretty well situated for a long run of averaging ~90 wins.

If the reports are true, And Kuechel will sign for 1 year 18 then why wouldn’t you do it if your the brewers? Since there are no bad one yr deals in baseball.

Kuechel would help not just the rotation but the pen as well, proverbial two birds with one stone to the hilt. Get creative:

1 yr 12 mil with mutual 25 and buyout of 6.

Arnold said no outside help, so not gonna hold my breath. But this 12 mil or whatever make us the heavy favorites. Save our prospect capitol.

If he truly would accept a 1-year deal, I feel it would be done already. Maybe not with us but with someone.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If he truly would accept a 1-year deal, I feel it would be done already. Maybe not with us but with someone.

Maybe. Other logical teams for Keuchel may be in the same scenario as the Brewers, "are we going to pull the plug on our plan for the season after only 2-3 games pitched by the starters?"

Or maybe he will only go on a one year deal to a few specific teams.

Yeah, I'd do a big one-year deal. He would be asking for a pretty high salary, and rightfully so, but I think it's ultimately going to come down to holding out until the comp pick is a non-factor and choosing a team he wants to go to, with multiple teams making similar offers below his fancy.

If the Brewers offer a 1 year, 19 million dollar contract and the Yankees offer a 1 year, 19 million dollar contract, then Keuchel will be a Yankee. Boras likes to keep the normally big spending customers happy.

Very much on board with Keuchel over Kimbrel at this point. Put Burnes or Woodruff back in the pen where they were such weapons last year.

Hader has shown that in today’s baseball you don’t need to be a starter to maximize your value to the team. As contrary as it runs to a century of baseball logic, with Counsell I believe we are better with a strong bullpen and ok rotation than a strong rotation and meh bullpen.

I am not Shea Vucinich

If the Brewers offer a 1 year, 19 million dollar contract and the Yankees offer a 1 year, 19 million dollar contract, then Keuchel will be a Yankee. Boras likes to keep the normally big spending customers happy.

Keuchel gets to decide, not Boras.

It's also just pure conjecture that Boras would try to direct a player toward NYY on a 1 year deal as opposed to the Brewers.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Very much on board with Keuchel over Kimbrel at this point. Put Burnes or Woodruff back in the pen where they were such weapons last year.

Hader has shown that in today’s baseball you don’t need to be a starter to maximize your value to the team. As contrary as it runs to a century of baseball logic, with Counsell I believe we are better with a strong bullpen and ok rotation than a strong rotation and meh bullpen.

Agree wholeheartedly. When Knebel went down, it changed things in the pen. All the young starters are having trouble keeping hitters off their fastball. Their offspeed stuff just isn't up to par with top starters, and their breaking stuff is a mixture of hangers and pitches that are out of the zone out of their hand. I'd move both Burnes and Woodruff to the pen and insert Anderson and Houser until Kuechel is ready.

Is it fair to start questioning whether Keuchel and Kimbrel will play this year? I know it is a long season, and perhaps a starter or closer goes down soon or early, but even so, I would think that would only entice a team to pull the trigger on a one year deal - and I am sure there are already many one year deals out there for both of these guys.

What will change in the next week/month/season where a team will over pay in both dollars and years? I just dont see it happening.

I am sure both Keuchel and Kimbrel received multi year offers this off season. Maybe even 3 year offers. I am sure, at some point in the off season some team offered them a one year deal over the QO. They said no. I still do not see what will change in-season that will cause a team to go 4-5 years or at this point, even a one year deal north of 18 million a season. And again, I say this as "are they going to get MORE than what was offered in the offseason at this point, not, will they get signed eventually.

Is it fair to start questioning whether Keuchel and Kimbrel will play this year? I know it is a long season, and perhaps a starter or closer goes down soon or early, but even so, I would think that would only entice a team to pull the trigger on a one year deal - and I am sure there are already many one year deals out there for both of these guys.

What will change in the next week/month/season where a team will over pay in both dollars and years? I just dont see it happening.

I am sure both Keuchel and Kimbrel received multi year offers this off season. Maybe even 3 year offers. I am sure, at some point in the off season some team offered them a one year deal over the QO. They said no. I still do not see what will change in-season that will cause a team to go 4-5 years or at this point, even a one year deal north of 18 million a season. And again, I say this as "are they going to get MORE than what was offered in the offseason at this point, not, will they get signed eventually.

The reports I’ve read and heard is kimbrel holding firm on multi-year deal.

While Keuchel likely to sign 1 year QO type deal.

Yes, it would be our 4th for him or kimbrel.

At least up till the draft. After the draft there is no penalty.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived