Brewer Fanatic

Dallas Keuchel

If we could get this guy on pillow deal I’d do it. Move Burnes to bullpen for a month or two.

Need to get this Burnes to bullpen stuff out of your head. Besides a performance issue, he ain’t leaving the rotation.

Maybe not Burnes, but Woodruff has the ideal stuff for late inning relief.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If you agree with someone, simply quoting their post without adding to it is not what we are looking for. Same with "+1" or "agreed", etc. One word or no word posts clutter things up. Feel free to agree but expand on their point.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If we could get this guy on pillow deal I’d do it. Move Burnes to bullpen for a month or two.

Need to get this Burnes to bullpen stuff out of your head. Besides a performance issue, he ain’t leaving the rotation.

Maybe not Burnes, but Woodruff has the ideal stuff for late inning relief.

Agree. I prefer signing Kuechel and moving Woodruff to the bullpen vs just signing Kimbrel. Woodruff has already shown us enough he probably isn’t overly special as a SP, he could be special in the bullpen. Burnes needs to be given every chance to start until giving a reason be shoildnt.

What is this pillow deal you always speak of? Is this your own term, or a term used normally that I have just never heard before?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If you agree with someone, simply quoting their post without adding to it is not what we are looking for. Same with "+1" or "agreed", etc. One word or no word posts clutter things up. Feel free to agree but expand on their point.

This. +1. Agreed. *Ducks*

What is this pillow deal you always speak of? Is this your own term, or a term used normally that I have just never heard before?

I don't hear it often but it's a real term.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/poll-pillow-contracts.html

Basically it's a short-term prove it deal with a higher annual value than the same player would get on a multi-year deal. (Example: Yasmani Grandal)

There was a comment from Boras within the last few days that he was in negotiations with several teams. I didn't see a follow up from any other writers about which teams could be involved or how much money Keuchel/Boras is currently seeking.

I wonder if Keuchel could be had on something like a 1/$10 million contract. He might not like it, but it’s better than sitting at home and not getting anything. It would allow the Brewers to move someone like Woodruff to the bullpen to solidify the back of the bullpen.

If signing Keuchel means moving Woodruff to the pen, count me out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wonder if Keuchel could be had on something like a 1/$10 million contract. He might not like it, but it’s better than sitting at home and not getting anything. It would allow the Brewers to move someone like Woodruff to the bullpen to solidify the back of the bullpen.

Crew can’t afford the 10 million, he’d have to take 9.

I think the point is that having one more starter gives flexibility to either use one of the starters as a way to bolster the bullpen, or insurance against ineffectiveness should one of them prove unready. That's the reason I'd support signing him.

I think the point is that having one more starter gives flexibility to either use one of the starters as a way to bolster the bullpen, or insurance against ineffectiveness should one of them prove unready. That's the reason I'd support signing him.

But we can’t afford him.

Even though Boras' foolishness has probably cost Keuchel a boatload of money, it's very hard for me to see Keuchel signing a 10 million dollar contract with all the nonsense that Boras has likely put in his head. I'd guess Boras is still looking for a deal north of what Cobb got last year.

I just don’t want it to hinder the next step in the process of our younger pitchers. While depth is great and I’m a huge advocate of building as much of it as you can, I also feel like the time is now to let out young pitchers have at it in the roatation.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I agree, Brew4U. I'm fine rolling with what we have. I'm sure, though, that at some point we'll need depth due to injury or ineffectiveness.

And that does roll into the question of what we can afford. Injury contingency is exactly what the Brewers are probably worried about having reserves for....

The rotation is pretty set, and they have Anderson, Nelson and Houser waiting in reserve for ML starts. While I wish one of those guys was a lefty, the rotation actually has more quality depth than I can remember.

I'm just nervous about relying on Nelson for much, at least as a starter. Anderson is certainly a valid option, though, but they'll have to strech him out in case of an injury mid-season.

But we can’t afford him.

Enough with the condescending remarks in multiple threads. It’s a discussion board where we discuss ideas in a civil manner. Stop trying to throw your agenda all over this board and trying to bait people into arguments on here with nonfactual and extreme “hot takes”.

Moving Burnes or Woodruff to the pen this year does nothing to impact their future outlook. Cardinals were never hesitant to put guys like Wainwright in the pen to start off and it had zero negative impact on him. Despite Woodruff picking up considerable service time in 2017 and 2018, he still entered this season with less than 1 year of MLB service time and Burnes is not close to that number. I'd have no major issue with adding Keuchel and kicking either Woodruff or Burnes to the bullpen to provide a potentially plus-plus multi-inning reliever to the mix (especially as I see those guys providing more value than a traditional closer).

I don't even buy, not for one second, the argument that if Woodruff/Burnes pitches in the bullpen this year then they must have an artificial inning limit the following year. Wainwright threw 75 innings as a reliever in 2006, and then threw 202 innings in 2007 and from 2007 forward was a 146-84, 3.31 ERA, 3.29 FIP pitcher.

That being said, I'd pass on both Keuchel and Kimbrel at this point and wait and see what the roster looks like at the deadline. What if Braun and Cain are both hurt? The Brewer's aren't exactly great in terms of outfield depth. What if Arcia hits nothing and Dubon turns out to not be a MLB player? Brewers really want Moustakas starting everyday at shortstop? What happens if Grandal takes a fastball off the wrist and is out for 12 weeks and Pena is hitting nothing?

Outside of a lack of lefty pitching, I kind of like the way the 40-man roster shapes up. Let's see what it looks like about a week into July. Would rather save the remaining funds until then.

I think that's way too low for a 1 year deal. He'd have plenty of suitors for even a 4/40 type of deal, if he's taking a 1 year deal it'll be for a significant amount. I really like the idea of having a left handed starter who can go deep into games, I feel like that'll make our bullpen a lot better even without taking into account someone moving there. If that signing would mean that there was no room for deadline moves however I'd be a bit more hesitant, but I do like the idea of Keuchel.

Ken Rosenthal and Dennis Lin of The Athletic report that the Padres "are engaged in continuing dialogue" with Dallas Keuchel's camp.

The Padres seem intent on adding rotation help, as they've been connected to Trevor Bauer and Marcus Stroman via trade, as well. However, the report notes that the Padres "are not close on any addition" and "have been unwilling to meet the price of Keuchel’s agent, Scott Boras." While San Diego has a handful of promising young starters, a rotation stabilizer like Keuchel would make a lot of sense.

Source: The Athletic

Mar 31, 2019, 2:42 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator
Ken Rosenthal and Dennis Lin of The Athletic report that the Padres "are engaged in continuing dialogue" with Dallas Keuchel's camp.

The Padres seem intent on adding rotation help, as they've been connected to Trevor Bauer and Marcus Stroman via trade, as well. However, the report notes that the Padres "are not close on any addition" and "have been unwilling to meet the price of Keuchel’s agent, Scott Boras." While San Diego has a handful of promising young starters, a rotation stabilizer like Keuchel would make a lot of sense.

Source: The Athletic

Mar 31, 2019, 2:42 PM

A sentence from the article:

The Mets and Brewers are among the other clubs that have checked in on Keuchel, though the Brewers remain more interested in the other top remaining free agent, reliever Craig Kimbrel, sources say.

It does go on to say that Brewers club officials seem pessimistic about getting a deal done with Kimbrel.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived